• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Still lovin' it

Re: Still lovin\' it

For me Babylon 5 is something strange. I've never felt such interest for a TV show. Ever. In fact I don't like any other show as much as B5.
I live in Costa Rica and they aren't broadcasting B5 since 1 or 2 years, so God bless DVDs !

I bought them all religiously. I've preordered all, starting with ItB and TG and all seasons. I bought almost all the books (21). Still have to read the Technomage trilogy (I'm in the first book) and the episode guides for seasons 3,4 and 5. I have the poster and mousepad of the cancelled Sierra Game. And as everyone here, I am waiting for the TMoS news and Crusade and TV movies dvds.
Bringing these things to Costa Rica is tedious, expensive and difficult sometimes, but I am completely sure it's worth it. :D
And I can watch the episodes several times. I can't say that for any other show.
I really mean it: B5 changed me and made me feel something different that I can't explain. :eek:

I just wrote in my blog a few days ago that B5 did something to me after I first saw it.
The cable company in Israel broadcasted the whole show but I only saw season 2, 3, 4 and the beginning of 5 (I didn’t like what I saw the first time and I didn’t have much time back then so…).
Though we didn’t have any reruns of the show it was in my mind, all the time and taking the chances of sounding corny, it was in my heart too.

When I first heard that B5 is going to be on DVD I burst it tears, literally and on the last weekend I sat and cried after watching the last episode for the first time.
The show, all of it, from beginning to end is, for lack of a better word, perfect.
The story, the characters, the actors, the cinematography, everything played in tune and the result was a harmony no other show came close to.

In view of the horrible shows running on TV today, my wife and I decided that when we have a kid we will create a TV schedule for him with all the great shows we had when we where growing up (and now hold in DVD format).
For me, Babylon 5 will be like sharing part of what I am today with that future kid.
There are so many truths in the story, so much emotion and power and I think that is what made the difference between B5 and the rest of the shows that ran back then and since then.

Ziv

...There are so many truths in the story, so much emotion and power ...
Exactly. The reason the show grabs you is because it is about a few central truths that are ignorable only at great cost... but which, even if not ignored, STILL exert a cost. The show didn't strive for a happy ending, merely a satisfyingly honest one. I think only Neroon died a happy person. Everyone else had to settle for "as happy as circumstances allow" which is the hard truth about the human condition.

...The show didn't strive for a happy ending, merely a satisfyingly honest one...

Exactly, that’s what made the show real. “You did the crime, you paid the time” life has a way of resolving itself and the characters’ action had consequences they had to face.
JMS said on several occasion, on the subject of various scenes, that he prefers a reasonable conclusion rather then a “fictional-lets make everyone happy-ending”.

Several years back I went into a video store and being a scifii buff I had seen everything worth seeing and most of the stuff not worth seeing.
It all happened when there was a severe drought when it came to scifi, fantasy and anything mind tickling.
Anyway I saw the name Babylon 5 and decided that nothing ventured is nothing gained.
Watched in iTB and was hooked. could not get hold of any of the stuff for several years. A new station finally started airing from season one about5 years ago. My exchange rate makes it particularly harsh to order them as they come out but plans are being made and I will have all of them. The special effects might date quickly but the story was and still is brilliant. Pity Crusade wasn't given the room to grow.

Back