• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

babylon 5 vhs

dencor

Regular
Being somewhat of a minimalist every couple months I go thru and just start tossing stuff out. I was organizing my B5 collection and wondering what to get rid of. I remembered a friend said to me awhile back, that if I ever wanted to give away my vhs tapes ( 25 total ) that he would take them. I bought them several years ago because I liked the nice slick cover art, showing scenes from various episodes. They are all still sealed ( with trading cards inside ) and I got to wondering, if someday these tapes will ever be worth anything. So before I hand them over to my dear good friend Roger.... I would like opinions please. Should I hold on to them in the hope of maybe ten years down the road, people get the itch for old vhs tapes again. Or just let them go.

thanks
dennis

Being somewhat of a minimalist every couple months I go thru and just start tossing stuff out. I was organizing my B5 collection and wondering what to get rid of. I remembered a friend said to me awhile back, that if I ever wanted to give away my vhs tapes ( 25 total ) that he would take them. I bought them several years ago because I liked the nice slick cover art, showing scenes from various episodes. They are all still sealed ( with trading cards inside ) and I got to wondering, if someday these tapes will ever be worth anything. So before I hand them over to my dear good friend Roger.... I would like opinions please. Should I hold on to them in the hope of maybe ten years down the road, people get the itch for old vhs tapes again. Or just let them go.

thanks
dennis

Currently, the only VHS going for anything is those that do not DVD availability. For example, Faster Pussycat KIll Kill people sell for $30-$50. Tron the original movie was going for about the same before the recent release, and now the VHS have plummeted. So, I believe as long as the DVDs are available, you won't see any movement on value of the VHS (Unless the Trading Cards themselves are valuable, that will increase the value of the VHSes). If I ever want to know the value of something, I'll look at Ebay sales of it, over the last 30 days and see what it's been going for

Thanks for your thoughts Sindatur. Your right, with Babylon 5 being available on dvd the old vhs tapes will be just that...old. It's doubtful the trading cards are worth anything but I might just slit open the plastic and on a few and see if there is any cards that I might like. It's just hard to believe that it took the studios so long to release Tron on dvd. Seems like a no brainer. Kind of like E.T. not being available on blu ray. Thanks again.

dennis

Thanks for your thoughts Sindatur. Your right, with Babylon 5 being available on dvd the old vhs tapes will be just that...old. It's doubtful the trading cards are worth anything but I might just slit open the plastic and on a few and see if there is any cards that I might like. It's just hard to believe that it took the studios so long to release Tron on dvd. Seems like a no brainer. Kind of like E.T. not being available on blu ray. Thanks again.

dennis
Actually Tron was released on DVD, some years ago, but, for whatever reason, copies dried up, which was what made the VHS so valuable until word came of the new release, and then all of a sudden (imagine that) the VHS value drop like a rock

Actually Tron was released on DVD, some years ago, but, for whatever reason, copies dried up, which was what made the VHS so valuable until word came of the new release, and then all of a sudden (imagine that) the VHS value drop like a rock

Yes it was. The 20th Anniversary edition was the first DVD I ever bought ... before I even owned a player ... and even up to last year, it was available from Amazon in the UK.

Actually Tron was released on DVD, some years ago, but, for whatever reason, copies dried up
Disney releases a lot of films in this way; just enough copies to increase the value early on and then a few years later they can release the "last-chance to own this movie" version at a higher than usual price and then a few years later they release the "no really, *this time we mean* it's the last chance" version.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back