• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Question about Psi-Corp Trilogy Book Finale

He wanted to make sure he didn't rise again in 3 nights as a P12 Level Telepathic Vampire. That would have sucked.

He wanted to make sure he didn't rise again in 3 nights as a P12 Level Telepathic Vampire. That would have sucked.

That's kinda what I thought. I was just wondering if it was a reference to something in particular that I had forgotten about.

That's kinda what I thought. I was just wondering if it was a reference to something in particular that I had forgotten about.
Nah, far as I know it was just a very Garibaldian way to convince himself that Bester was really dead.

edit: I remembered reading something about it by Keyes, so I looked up the newsgroup posting by him:
>O.k, I just finished Final Reckoning (great book, btw) and was left a little
>confused at the end. I don't quite understand the significance of Garabaldi
>driving the stake into Bester's grave. Girard's comments ("Amen, and
>Peace"), left me thinking that this was some type of peace sign, but I've
>never heard of such a sign. Anyone mind elightening this uncultured fool?

Vampires. Stakes. 'Stay dead, you bastard'.

-- Greg Keyes
Seems clear enough. ;)

Last edited:
I found that to be a laugh out loud moment for me. The fact that Garibaldi would travel all the way from Mars to visit Bester's grave and drive a stake in the ground is priceless.

"First they have to suck your blood. Then you have to suck their blood. It's like a whole big sucking thing. Mostly, they're just going to kill you. Why am I still talking to you?"

:D Buffy dialogue is so much fun. :D

What is the significance of Garibaldi driving the stake thru Bester's grave? Thoughts anoyone?

I'm sure I read somewhere that JMS did the exact same thing with some writing tutor who did him down, and basically said he would never get anywhere. Of course, with Joe, he had a piece of his own writing wrapped around the stake. If someone can find the quote, great.

I'm pretty sure the stake part is in one of the script books, Elenopa, though he's told the rest of it elsewhere before.

During his college years, there was a professor who was verbally abusing a female student, reducing her to tears. Finally, JMS had enough and told the Prof to "Leave her the F^&* alone". After that, he went from an 'A' average to an 'F' and the Prof let JMS know that he'd never amount to anything as a writer. JMS made a point of sending the guy a copy of everything he sold and eventually, hearing of the Prof's death, he visited the grave and drove a stake into the ground...just in case.

Jan

Wow.

That's pretty fucking harsh. I mean, its one thing to have someone write about it in a book, but its another to do it yourself in this day and age...

Heh. I'd do the same thing. Especially the bit about defending tearful female fellow students. As for the stake bit... well, I do like to solve problems as dramatically as possible.

Wow.

That's pretty fucking harsh. I mean, its one thing to have someone write about it in a book, but its another to do it yourself in this day and age...

Errrr...you do realize that he pushed the stake into the *ground*, right? Not into the corpse? Not that big a deal except symbolically.

Jan

Yes, I realize that. And I can tell you, that is a pretty dark thing to do. Who DOES that? How many times have you gone to the cemetery and witness someone sticking a stake in the ground over someone's coffin?

No, that's pretty messed up, and if its true, then he is one vengeful MFer, thats for sure. Talk about holding a grudge....

Any instructor/teacher/professor should know enough to have such conversations in private, if such conversations are deemed really necessary.

I've seen teachers humiliate a student in front of the class.

It's the sign of a bad teacher. Anyone can lose their temper, and then apologize in class the next class day.

But if there is a need to really talk like that to a student (if there can be) then it should be done in private, or with the dean.

Errrr...you do realize that he pushed the stake into the *ground*, right? Not into the corpse? Not that big a deal except symbolically.

Jan

Doesn't that depend on the size of the stake? If it's just a Buffy/Van Helsing jobby then fair enough... but what about the ones used for say... fence posts? Mind you, you'd probably need a blinking telegraph pole to get down 6 feet.

If he was really malevolent... he could have dug him up and done it!

I have to say, that is some pretty scary shit, even though the tutor sounded like a major ass and probably has some major issues.

I loved the way JMS mailed him all his published stuff though.

As for the bit with the stake ? Sure, why not. We all need to seek closure somehow...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back