B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 3rd 18, 20:40   #11
Looney
Ambassador

Re: War without end 1+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
I don't need or want to understand him (and note that I left his politics out of it). He was an ass.
I still wish I could say I met him once because he and O'Hare are the only two major cast members I never met. And I believe he did many more conventions than O'Hare. And I know there is one convention he backed out of before we could meet, Space City Comic Con 2014. I think there were two others I was going to meet him at back in the 90s that one of us canceled going. But I know I likely would not have liked him, so meeting him would have just been a completest thing. I have no patience for Celebs who let you know you are burdening them at Conventions. I understand what they are putting up with, so I have no problem with them occasionally getting frustrated, but when you know right off the bat going up to them is not something they want then that is a problem.

Quote:
And not just to fans and O'Hare. When it was still thought that there would be three segments in the first (only, as it turns out) Doyle was in negotiations still when the third segment was dropped. Despite him not having a contract, he went on the air and threatened to sue the production. Another ass move.
Are you saying that there is a possibility he hindered The Lost Tales from being what it was meant to be?
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd 18, 20:58   #12
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Are you saying that there is a possibility he hindered The Lost Tales from being what it was meant to be?
Nope, not that I know of at all. From what he said, he had legitimate concerns that IF something as news-crucial as Sept. 11 were to happen again while he was shooting Lost Tales that he be released to cover that. Keep in mind that his base was in Arizona and they shot LT in Vancouver. Now whether his demands had something to do with the third segment being dropped, I don't have any way of knowing. BUT given that the third segment would have been virtually all CGI and composite, I've always believed that was why it was dropped.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd 18, 21:01   #13
jumptheshark
Lurker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
How can I put this when it comes to understanding Doyle

1) He was a stock Broker--and there is a certain common trait amongst stock brokers in my opinon
2) He was raised in Brookly in the 60's and 70's--I got cousin's who are from Brooklyn from the same era--they sometimes do not realize when they are being nasty
3) He had a conservative upbringing(I do not mean political)--if someone looked weak--you poked them to make them tougher--some call it the John Wayne approach
I don't need or want to understand him (and note that I left his politics out of it). He was an ass.

And not just to fans and O'Hare. When it was still thought that there would be three segments in the first (only, as it turns out) Doyle was in negotiations still when the third segment was dropped. Despite him not having a contract, he went on the air and threatened to sue the production. Another ass move.
I did not realize he threatened to sue without a contract. The only thing I heard was that his segment was cut due to finances
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd 18, 21:29   #14
Looney
Ambassador

Quote:
Nope, not that I know of at all. .
Oh okay. If that had been what you were saying that would have seriously "hindered" my ability to stay as calm and tranquil as I usually am.
Old July 3rd 18, 21:38   #15
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I did not realize he threatened to sue without a contract. The only thing I heard was that his segment was cut due to finances
I'd read somebody claim that he was threatening to sue and paid to be able to access that particular show of his. He admitted that he hadn't signed a contract but that he felt that his deciding to accept the contract just as the offer was rescinded was enough to sue. I have no idea whether he did so or not. My feeling was that he was just shooting off his mouth.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd 18, 23:22   #16
jumptheshark
Lurker

1) I did tell Jerry a few times to knock it off but sometimes talking to Jerry was like talking to a goldfish; and 2) No, if that were a factor I would not have written the story for Jerry in Lost Tales in the first place. We ran out of time and money is all.

I asked him if he talked to Doyle and if it lead to Doyle's segment being dropped
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th 18, 16:07   #17
Looney
Ambassador

I so hate that we were denied more Lost Tales. Of course I'm not sure how much money that DVD made. I remember a lot of buzz back in 2002 or 2003 about the Season DVD releases making a lot of money, which is why WB seemed interested in future projects around that time and that eventually led to interest in The Lost Tales around 2006. Is that correct? I think I am remembering that the right way. The DVDs made WB a lot of money and around 02/03 they were interested in some more B5 projects, but then tragedy struck and that slowed things down. But then they got renewed interest about making more money from DVDs around 2006 and that is when we got The Lost Tales, right?

I've always assumed The Lost Tales release was not much of a financial success or we would have seen more. I know I've come across people who loved the show back when it was on and never knew The Lost Tales existed. And The Lost Tales came out in 2007. I think the major issue now is that there is soooo much out there you couldn't get people the info that a B5 DVD release was coming out without spending big bucks on advertising. Really the only way B5 could ever come back is a theatrical movie or major streaming service series pick up; and I mean major streaming service series pick up of new material. Yes having B5 on Amazon Prime will likely gain us a few new fans, but I doubt it will start a revolution. I hope it does, but the more logical path to gaining more recognition is a serious marketing campaign about new material that will excite future fans and ignite old fans. And for those who ask "Why?" you need only look to future. If we want B5 to be remembered as it deserves to be then there must be new generations who are exposed to it. If not then it will fade in to obscurity.