B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old March 5th 18, 07:37   #1
Veritas1980
Lurker

Send a message via Skype™ to Veritas1980
Observations

I've been buying and watching seasons on google play and I noticed the minbari crests are strongly reminiscent of the chonmage hairstyle, traditionally worn by japanese samurai Their clothes are similar to traditional japanese styles as well. even the earth alliance pilot uniforms show hints of this.

Is any of this intentional?
Veritas1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th 18, 17:18   #2
B5_Obsessed
First One

Re: Observations

As Kosh would say, YES.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th 18, 18:47   #3
Veritas1980
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5_Obsessed View Post
As Kosh would say, YES.
lol thanks for the reply. Has anyone else noticed similar things in the visual elements of the show?
Old March 6th 18, 01:37   #4
Looney
Ambassador

Well just look at the Centauri dress with that hair style and let the discussion begin.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th 18, 05:35   #5
Veritas1980
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Well just look at the Centauri dress with that hair style and let the discussion begin.
their dress always struck me as 19th century prussian. the hairstyle never rang any bells for me
Old March 8th 18, 02:15   #6
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

That's probably because it got into the show by accident.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th 18, 23:44   #7
Veritas1980
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
That's probably because it got into the show by accident.
How did that happen?
Old March 9th 18, 19:07   #8
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I think this was in one of the DVD commentaries somewhere. Centauri hair was originally going to be more tightly curled -- like the guards seen in "Signs and Portents" -- and not stand up at all. But Peter Jurasik and his hairdresser decided to play a joke, put Peter's hair up in the style we now know so well, and went out to say to JMS "What do you think?" -- assuming he'd laugh, they'd laugh, and then go back to the way he'd originally planned. But JMS says, "Okay, do it that way," and JMS is God on set, so they did.

Turns out JMS, still finding his feet and his confidence, thought at the time, "Well, if that's what the actor wants, I guess it's okay..." -- not realizing that Peter wasn't serious.

Going by the Season One outtakes, I'm guessing that within a couple months they knew each other well enough that it would have been a big laugh and then they'd gone about their business. But it was a little too soon in their relationship.

I'm doing all this from memory. Somebody may have a more accurate version of the tale.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th 18, 02:03   #9
Veritas1980
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshFan View Post
I think this was in one of the DVD commentaries somewhere. Centauri hair was originally going to be more tightly curled -- like the guards seen in "Signs and Portents" -- and not stand up at all. But Peter Jurasik and his hairdresser decided to play a joke, put Peter's hair up in the style we now know so well, and went out to say to JMS "What do you think?" -- assuming he'd laugh, they'd laugh, and then go back to the way he'd originally planned. But JMS says, "Okay, do it that way," and JMS is God on set, so they did.

Turns out JMS, still finding his feet and his confidence, thought at the time, "Well, if that's what the actor wants, I guess it's okay..." -- not realizing that Peter wasn't serious.

Going by the Season One outtakes, I'm guessing that within a couple months they knew each other well enough that it would have been a big laugh and then they'd gone about their business. But it was a little too soon in their relationship.

you guys seem to know a lot more than I. Thanks for the story. I just really love the series and the amazing acting, writing, etc. It saddens me that many of my favorites have passed. Watching it now and again is the only real way I have to appreciate it.

I'm doing all this from memory. Somebody may have a more accurate version of the tale.
Old April 12th 18, 00:24   #10
Looney
Ambassador

So Veritas1980 I see you quoted KoshFan, but no comments?

Do you have anymore observations to share?

Not sure if people saw my post, but B5 has disappeared from the Go90 platform. Back to my DVDs.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote