• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Trek XI Set for Xmas 2008 release

I doubt very much that John Cho can copy Sulu's trademark baritone voice.

Shaun of the Dead as Scotty? Is he tall enough? That dude is short and Jimmy Doohan was no slouch in his youth.

I get more and more disgusted with this re-casting every day. This isn't Star Trek, this is just another "re-imagining." I fucking hate that word. It's a fancier way of saying "we can't create like those who came before us, so we copy and modify." It's cut-and-paste storytelling and I hate it.

Although I do agree with you, I'm biased because of my protective love of the original crew.

But as for re-imagining, or whatever you want to call it- what about Battlestar Galactica? I don't mind that one because the original was so lame.

I think they should just do an entirely new cast, or stick with some of the ones that are still around, like the characters of TNG or DS9. I haven't been keeping up to date with the plot and the likes, but I assume from some of your posts that it's another time travel related plot? From what I've seen I'm not that impressed with the casting. I like Simon Pegg, but I can't see him as a younger Scotty. Milf guy? I think LH is right about the voice. I'm not very happy with what they've done to the Trek universe in the past 10 years or so, but I know I'll end up seeing this movie anyway.

GKarsEye said:
But as for re-imagining, or whatever you want to call it- what about Battlestar Galactica? I don't mind that one because the original was so lame.

I think Battlestar Galactica was easy to "reimagine" because of the original's insignificance. It wasn't this giant sign post of science fiction storytelling the way the original Star Trek was.

LondosHair said:
...It's a fancier way of saying "we can't create like those who came before us, so we copy and modify." It's cut-and-paste storytelling and I hate it.

In most cases, it feels a lot like glorified fan fiction, to me, honestly.

Last edited:
Star Trek getting some comedy chops

Big day today. Simon Pegg of Sean of the Dead and Hot Fuzz has been cast as Montgomery Scott, and John Cho of Harold and Kumar go to White Castle has been cast as Sulu. Kirk rumors abound, but sill not a word about McCoy.

Re: Star Trek getting some comedy chops

Big day today. Simon Pegg of Sean of the Dead and Hot Fuzz has been cast as Montgomery Scott, and John Cho of Harold and Kumar go to White Castle has been cast as Sulu. Kirk rumors abound, but sill not a word about McCoy.

Yup; as darth_librarian posted six or seven posts back. :p

Don't know how I could've missed that. Odd.

Must've been a cloaking device or something. ;)

But you did bring up one thing that I was thinking about earlier today: McCoy. We've got casting information on most of the main group, sans Kirk and McCoy, as you said. We know they're looking for a Kirk, but do we know if they're looking for a McCoy? I don't remember ever seeing any mentionings about him for this new movie over the past however long its been since the movie was first announced.

I'm not sold on the new casting information. Simon Pegg is great, but I liked Paul McGillion from Stargate Atlantis for Scotty instead. I also like John Cho, but I'm not really digging him as Sulu.

Oh well, at least the actors chosen are good, even if they're not quite what I expected.

The current rumour for Kirk is Chris Pine, who I've never seen, but he does look fairly Kirk-like.

But you did bring up one thing that I was thinking about earlier today: McCoy. We've got casting information on most of the main group, sans Kirk and McCoy, as you said. We know they're looking for a Kirk, but do we know if they're looking for a McCoy? I don't remember ever seeing any mentionings about him for this new movie over the past however long its been since the movie was first announced.

Chris Pine is apparently in talks to play Kirk. They want a McCoy and are looking at Karl urban, see this interview with the wirters...

http://trekmovie.com/2007/10/08/interview-orci-talks-casting-characters-canon-and-more/

That whole site is great for this.

Chris Pine is apparently in talks to play Kirk. They do want a McCoy and are looking at Karl urban, see this interview with the wirters...

http://trekmovie.com/2007/10/08/interview-orci-talks-casting-characters-canon-and-more/

http://trekmovie.com/2007/10/14/this-week-in-trek-casting-a-lot-of-casting/

That whole site is great for this.

Warning, massive plot spoilers for those that still care...

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3696&Itemid=99

Hmm. The evolution of my trek enthusiasm is quite ammusing, to me.

When I was younger, I would not read articles with spoilers, because .. didn't want to be spoiled.

Then, I would read them, because I didn't care if I was spoiled or not anymore.

Now, I won't read it, because I can no longer be arsed :p

Neat! I'm sure she will steal a few scenes. Or at least, valuable items from the set.

:LOL:

Back