• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

No more women movie leads (WB)

Warner Brothers is ready to piss off half of the population, eh?

You can write Warner Bros. at:

Time Warner Inc.
One Time Warner Center
New York, NY10019-8016

Their phone number is 212.484.8000. Jeffrey L. Bewkes is the President and Chief Operating Officer.

This information is in the article:
Information for contacting Warner Brothers

This is so dumb as to be unreal.It's like chopping your hand off to spite yourself.

I don't think most people even think about what company made a film when they go and see one though so I can't see WB losing out much from this.

Apart from in creativity of course.

I guess movies like Kill Bill are out as far as WB goes.

Lame-asses. Give me a good SCRIPT (male or female lead) and I'm there.

I also like that they use the new Jodie Foster movie as an example of a flop w/ a female lead that makes them decide to not try it anymore.

um... Silence of the Lambs?

Seriously, the problem with Hollywood/most of TV is that they go purely for the money, meaning there's no artistry, meaning their products suck, meaning people stop watching.

It's their own darn fault the movies are flopping, not the female leads.

I don't know if people aren't watching. It seems like every Spiderman or Harry Potter breaks some kind of record for ticket sales.

I just think that the factors that go into why a movie or set of movies succeeds or fails are too complex to single one thing out. But I do not think it's because of female leads.

If memory serves, the recent Jodie Foster movie did place #1 in the box office on its opening weekend. Granted, the film grossed somewhere around $20 million (though I think it was less), which is low compared to big hits like Spidey or Transformers, but still. It was released when there just weren't that many good movies out there.

The problem I have with Hollywood are these shitty horror flicks. They are produced for pennies on the dollar, meaning they can hire nobodies or washed-up TV actors. They aren't even good horror movies, either. Leave that genre to the Rob Zombies of the world...people who can do them right. These "scary" movies pop up every month, it seems. There was a time when you'd only see them around Halloween... flash forward to October 2007 and there are no promising scary movies scheduled for this Halloween. MAYBE Saw IV, but c'mon. The only one that looks like it MIGHT be worth seeing is that new vampire flick, but that isn't even exciting. It's a sad state of affairs when the only movie that scares the piss out of people these days is An Inconvenient Truth.

As far as women in leading roles, the writing just isn't there. For example, Aeon Flux and Ultraviolet could have been really great if their writing had been better. Both were very visually appealing, the actresses' performances were just fine, and they had decent stories, but the typical viewer didn't invest any emotions into the main characters because "decent" just doesn't cut it these days.

I'm a horror fan and I agree with much of that. Hostel is horrible- not for the level of violence, but because it doesn't have any style or interesting context. Saw was original and really great but it should not have any more sequels, because it can only be about how to out-do the last ones in terms of spectacle and shock, which loses the feel of what made the first so good.

The one constant in Hollywood- and this has been true forever- is that once something is successful, they have to beat it into the ground. So horror movies were making money, so now they're going to make a million of those of decreasing quality until something else comes along.

For women's roles, I think a problem is that the scripts are written by men who have no understanding of how women actually behave.

For women's roles, I think a problem is that the scripts are written by men who have no understanding of how women actually behave.

You might be right... and if you are, then it makes me so angry, because the studio that's making Wonder Woman turned down a Joss Whedon script.

I haven't seen enough of Whedon's stuff (only Firefly/Serenety) to judge his portrayal of women. But I have made the case to many women I know who roll their eyes at sci-fi that sci-fi TV is the only genre that has shown respect to women and treated them like, you know... people. Some of Trek and especially B5, to be exact. Of course it can also be the opposite, treating them just like eye candy, but it's still never as bad as what romantic comedies and most dramas do.

Judging by what I saw of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, Joss Whedon definitely gets chicks.

Er... you know what I mean.

I haven't seen enough of Whedon's stuff (only Firefly/Serenety) to judge his portrayal of women. But I have made the case to many women I know who roll their eyes at sci-fi that sci-fi TV is the only genre that has shown respect to women and treated them like, you know... people. Some of Trek and especially B5, to be exact. Of course it can also be the opposite, treating them just like eye candy, but it's still never as bad as what romantic comedies and most dramas do.

On Trek, often .. people. That just happen to have huge tits. :D

I haven't seen enough of Whedon's stuff (only Firefly/Serenety) to judge his portrayal of women.

Whedon's won awards -- well, one, at least -- for his portrayal of women, and he's decidedly feminist. It's why his shows exist: he was trying to make a point (and art). Some have actually argued that Firefly is his worst work because it's the most stereotypical in its portrayal of women, with the Gina Torres character being so tough she's one of the guys and with the space hooker, I mean "companion." But even there the show plays with expectations, because the space hooker is the most respectable person on the boat and Gina Torres's character is happily married to Alan Tudyk's. When was the last time you saw a good solid marriage on TV?

But I have made the case to many women I know who roll their eyes at sci-fi that sci-fi TV is the only genre that has shown respect to women and treated them like, you know... people. Some of Trek and especially B5, to be exact. Of course it can also be the opposite, treating them just like eye candy, but it's still never as bad as what romantic comedies and most dramas do.

Sci-fi's cousin Fantasy, of course, is almost as bad as it can get, with the possible exception of Eowyn in LotR.

Judging by what I saw of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, Joss Whedon definitely gets chicks.

Er... you know what I mean.

If he weren't happily married, there would be lines outside his door. Some men wish they were gay so they could get chicks; I wish I were Joss.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back