• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Babylon 5 - 3d Model by Falcon Design-

Kribu

Administrator
While I have to admit I don't know a thing about the technical side of this stuff, it looks really good. Quite 'real', in fact.
laugh.gif

Oh, and I loved the planet in the background. Did Epsilon 3 have an atmosphere though? (It may well have done, right now I just can't remember.)

(And it's great to see another B5 fan from our little corner of the world, btw.
laugh.gif
)

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Yes. I have to say I am sorry for all the hardcore fans. It is not Epsilon 3 in the background, but indeed it is Earth. When I finished the model a week ago, I just wanted to do something with the background. Background is not really good, but take a look at the model.

------------------
Falcon Design

Sweet. I never post any models here because no one would be that interested. Antony may also not want his board overrun with fan art. Maybe the fandom fun and fanfic forum. I never considered that one. Back to the topic, the background is a bit of a collage. Earth with a nebula and a sparse starfield. But of course the focus is B5 which looks great. Three months huh, then you built it from scratch, impressive. Any plans on making a movie with it? What program did you use?

------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world. ### - Caught from Kier Darby @ vBulletin infidel_dog@rangerone.b5lr.com

Yes, it is built from scratch, after collecting hundreds of pictures, and watching hours of recorded episodes. Then I draw the blueprints, and then created the model. As I said, the background is irrelevant. I am a professional (employed) graphics designer, who also knows tons about animation (cobra bay, and docking doors move, btw, as well as the rotating section), so I will probably create some short movies. It is actually the first recreational model (as accurate as there is to date) to be used in fan movies, so it would be cool. And yes, forum should not be full of fan posted pictures, but this is not just a picture. It is a milestone...

------------------
Falcon Design

LOL. I thought it looked like Earth but thought my mind was playing tricks on me after a long and tiring day.
laugh.gif

I loved the texture of the station itself. As I said, it could almost pass for the 'real thing', if that existed.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Well, this is my three months work. I*ve always wanted to give something back for B5, as it gave me so much, so many hour of deep interest, and love. So I created the most detailed model about B5 to date, and most accurate, next to the original model. It has also got close up C&C, Cobra Bays, and a docking bay, plus more. It has got 100755 polygons, without meshsmoothing and with low polygon count techniques. Here it is...
http://www.hot.ee/warehouse2001/B5fin.jpg

And I would love to hear fans opinions...

------------------
Falcon Design

Thanks for the new wallpaper Falcon
smile.gif

------------------
We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it

Yes, it can be used as a wallpaper. I am very glad there are people in the world who use my work as wallpaper... I am truly amazed in the success of this model, not only here but in many other forums aswell...

------------------
Falcon Design

*Picks jaw up from floor*

Well that easily puts my attempts at 3d not only to shame, but 5 miles past it.

------------------
Virtutis gloria merces (Glory is the reward of valour)

That looks pretty good Falcon. I'm also trying my hand at drawing and rendering my own B5 fanart but although I am using PRO/Engineer to lay it out, I have absolutely no idea how to use any graphic packages at all. In saying this, what software did you use to create the rendered model?? So much to learn and so little time to do so.
frown.gif

------------------
"To live is to risk"
Lennon - ItB

It was half modelled in Max. Render was also Max, and textures have been laid with the same prog too. I began with other minor programs, but Max really proved its effectivness.

------------------
Falcon Design

Dude,

That totally owns. A hell of a job. It looks just like it does on TV! Is there a website where I can see some of those closeups you talked about?

Also, to whose ever comment it was (I dont recall), I dont think Antony would mind threads like this. Afterall this is a B5 forum and that is indeed a picture of B5. Stuff like this is really cool and a nice getaway from the usual series detail discussions.

Again, very nice work, keep it coming!

BTW, I would LOVE and I mean LOVE to see something like this for Babylon 4. Not that I want to have someone start another 3 month project, but I always thought B4 was cooler looking than B5.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

There are no uploaded pictures of closeups right now. I am planning to update the model and create even more depth and accuracy in it, then do some more wallpaper pictures. BTW; anyone seen the closeup in intro's in season 1 and 2, where the zoom zooms in to C&C? Well the same quality effect can be achieved with this model... Only problem is the inside of C&C. I even did those damn windows for the C&C (rings, lots of rings). Well the thing about B4. I have to say, that without anyone paying me, I will not do B4 as detailed as is my B5. Main problem is the time, and the reason why I did the B5. Thing is that the show gave me so much, it really made a difference in my life. And this is my small way of giving something back...

------------------
Falcon Design

Extremely keen,
smile.gif
but being moved to Fandom, fun & fanfic.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back