• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Top 25 sci-fi moments from the past 25 years

Sci-fi doesn't have to have things "we can't do right now."

Brazil fits the classic sci-fi model of a throught-oppressing, bleak future, in which our basest natures are incorporated into industry and The System.

I wouldn't call 1984 sci fi either, but would call Brave New World sci fi. I think the sci in sci fi demands that there be something we are not currently capable of doing, beyond current knowledge, or technology. It is about more than just the future, but how humans react to technological progress. But, I recognize that it is not unreasonable to disagree with me. :D

Grindhouse made me realise that I, a big Kurt Russell fan, had never actually seen The Thing, so it's high up on my netflix queue. Looking forward to it.

Brazil deserves to be on the list more than B5.

Kurt Russell? You guys aren't talking about the 1950- whatever, original version of "The Thing", are you? I forget there's recently been a remake.

I'd see the original. ;)

The Thing From Another World, the 1951 original has one of my favorite 'women in sci fi' scenes of the pre-modern era, when women were not taken seriously much of the time. When they discover that the "Thing" is really a vegetable, so they don't know how to kill it, a male actor says "What do you do with a vegetable?" The woman scientist pipes up and says "You boil it, steam it, fry it..." Thus, they decide to electrocute James Arness, years before he became Marshal Matt Dillon.

Yep, Dark City is definitely better than much of what they have listed. I guess I'd have to say I find their list less than stellar, for the most part.

Bleh, I'd go the Kurt Russel / John Carpenter version of the Thing. Fare more sophisticated, imho. I'm not a huge fan of oldie horror flicks. Too campy or goofy for my taste. BUT, if you are into the old stuff... catch em both!

Bleh, I'd go the Kurt Russel / John Carpenter version of the Thing. Fare more sophisticated, imho. I'm not a huge fan of oldie horror flicks. Too campy or goofy for my taste. BUT, if you are into the old stuff... catch em both!

Since the list is only for the last 25 years, only the remake could qualify. For 50s sci fi, The Thing is fairly well done. The updated version is good too, but I think it might have been better if they had only used two box-car loads of goo, instead of three. :D

OK so I guess I need to check out Brazil then. Enough people have said its worthy of that list, so Ill check it out. I did like 12 monkeys. Not top 25 material per say, but still very creative. So if Brazil is better than 12 monkeys Ill have to take a gander.

I saw that list yesterday, and as I recall there was a little addendum on the end of the article saying, "A lot of people are going to be real mad at this list, especially fans of Farscape, Babylon 5, and Dark City, so if you write in with good, compelling arguments we'll put together a 'fan-favorite' list."

Has anyone checked to see just who came up with this list?

We could come up with a few lists, I dare say, here at b5tv.com. :LOL:

If it was a poll of their readers, then no wonder some of the less-known shows were missing from the list.

In the meantime, should we start a list of the "Top 25 most-hated Top 25 lists". ;)

Kurt Russell? You guys aren't talking about the 1950- whatever, original version of "The Thing", are you? I forget there's recently been a remake.

I'd see the original. ;)

Kurt Russel was in the 1982 version, which (I've heard) follows closer to the story "Who Goes There?" (which I haven't read).

Both the 1951 and 1982 versions are very good, and I have both on DVD. The 1951 version is more of a straight-up monster movie (DVD has scenes that were missing from the VHS version, e.g. when Nikki has Capt. Hendry tied up in a chair.:)), while the 1982 version is more of a horror movie with lots of gore and paranoia. The endings are vastly different.

Sometimes I feel like watching one and sometimes the other. If I was over at a friend's house and either one was on, I'd watch it, even though I've seen 'em both, dozens of times before.

"The Thing from Another World" (1951) is a classic.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back