• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

ARRRRR!!!! Dead Man's Chest!!

Re: ARRRRR!!!! Dead Man\'s Chest!!

Truly fine indeed. The last three seconds alone were worth the price of admissions. (But I won't reveal what happens. No spoiler heading, so no spoilers.)

And we appreciate that. :)

I hope to see it either next weekend or maybe at the end of the month. When the theater is less packed. :LOL:

It's gotten luke-warm reviews, but it sounds like a decent enough sequel. I'm sure it will be fun. :)

Truly fine indeed. The last three seconds alone were worth the price of admissions. (But I won't reveal what happens. No spoiler heading, so no spoilers.)

Did you mean the last 3 seconds before or after the credits?
The after credit sequence is good for a laugh, but the actual end of the film was a genuine WTF moment. Again, can't wait.

The movie has been lambasted for its length, budget, and excesses (much like any other blockbuster movie), but for some damn reason I just enjoy these movies. I like the whole pirate vibe, and I love to immerse myself in the environment (I should just move to St Vincent) - so the longer the better for me.

Of course a lot depends upon the third film's resolution, but I think these guys have got it covered nevertheless. I have full confidence.

Saw it last night and it was great fun. Yes, the plot could have done with a bit more flesh on the bones, but the special effects were fantastic and there were some laugh out loud funny moments :D

I suspected that there was a post-credits moment, but my ride left in a hurry. I meant the last 3 seconds of the main film.

Yeah, I've seen some lukewarm reviews. I'm not sure what those reviewers want. The movie's fine.

I really enjoyed it... not as swashbuckling and character-driven as the first movie, so it lacked a little in that department, but definitely one hell of a ride.

KF, there is a post-credits moment. I'll send it to you in a PM.

Of all the "critics" and "reviewers," I found Lisa Schwarzbaum's review on CNN.com to be particularly horrible. Not the movie, her review of it. She thinks that a big vocabulary and snide quips = a good review. Worst movie reviewer in the industry who's still getting paid for it. Somebody needs to fire that twit.

I'm not sure what those reviewers want.
I think that it's an expectations thing.

They went into the first one thinking "Cripes, iIt's a movie based on an amusement park ride. How good could that *possibly* be?" And were massively, pleasantly surprised.

They went into this one with expectations based upon how much they liked the first one. As was pointed out, there isn't quite as much character development etc. in this one (in part because it is only the first half of the story, so character arcs aren't complete). Also, there is no longer the joy of discovering a brand new set of charactrers (there really can't be in a sequel). So, this one doesn't quite measure up to the hopes that they had going in ..... and it gets a weaker review because of it.

Ah, yes, "living up to the hype." I took care of that by reading a few negative reviews. As such I wasn't disappointed at all. Fine film, really.

Just saw the film today.

Loads of laugh out loud moments, some jumpy points, and quite a few 'Yes!' events.

I particually liked the cages sequence and the big wheel.

Although I am a die hard Aragorn fan, I do think Orlando looks very fine in this movie. He does have some good moves.

Any film that has has both Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom in comes pretty high on my wife's list of must-see movies.

I thought it was alright. I've only seen bits and pieces of the first movie so I was a little confused as to what was going on. Needless to say I was really confused about the last few seconds until my buddies filled me in. It was enjoyable and I'll probably go back and watch the first one so that it all makes a little more sense to me.

So I guess I am the only one here who thought it was a big steaming pile of Meh?

First, to those thinking its better if you have seen the First one...it isn't. You might not get a couple quick quips, but that's about it. This movie is VERY different than the first.

I like the whole pirate vibe, and I love to immerse myself in the environment (I should just move to St Vincent) - so the longer the better for me.

See, I like that whole scene as well. But this movie did not make me think Pirates...at all. Sure, you can't argue that Captain Jack Sparrow is a pirate, but nothing in this movie is Pirate-like. The villian and everything to do with him is just so ---- out there --- and the plot seemed so proposterous that is just lost the movie for me.

LH hit it on the head regarding the first movie. Granted there was a share of fantasy involved in that movie too, but it wasn't "as" far fetched I'd argue, and the bottom line is that the movie had lots of classic Pirate swashbuckleing action. This movie lacked in that department.

There were some good moments and some funny sequences. Overall though I was disappointed in that I think the plot really was beyond what my expectations/hopes were for this movie.

As to the third movie, I didn't even know there was already a sequal planned, let alone completed, until about 2 hours before I went to see it. I'm not sure I'm as curious about it as I was this movie. Might wait for DVD on that one...

The villian and everything to do with him is just so ---- out there --- and the plot seemed so proposterous that is just lost the movie for me.

LH hit it on the head regarding the first movie. Granted there was a share of fantasy involved in that movie too, but it wasn't "as" far fetched I'd argue, and the bottom line is that the movie had lots of classic Pirate swashbuckleing action. This movie lacked in that department.

Your complaint is a common one. A lot of reviewers found it strange that people so easily accepted the outrageuos supernatural going-on in this movie. I agree. Is the plot crazy? Absolutely. Could they have done without the whole cannibal story and thus shortened the movie by 20-30 minutes? Yes again. Is it odd that 3 men can swordfight for 20 minutes and never strike flesh? Sure. But did we really expect anyone too? Nah.

SPOILERS!!!!!!

I like what's been laid out. I think there's a lot of backstory to fill in. We know nothing about the main villain, Lord Beckett, because he IS the main villain in this piece and now, through admittedly preposterous means, he will control the sea. Norrington is a wild card. We still don't know whether he will fall on the side of good or evil before this is all over (although I figure he will see the error of his way and redeem himself before departing this world).

Jack Sparrow's flegm-covered death was awesome, as was Elizabeth's betrayal. "I'm not sorry". Even Jack liked it.
Some people think Elizabeth has feelings for Jack. The way I see it, Jack screwed over Will and she flat out killed him for it. I'm perplexed and confused about Barbosa's return, but I love Geoffrey Rush, so I'm there.

In case you're wondering, part three will have Chow Yun Fat as a very evil Chinese pirate (shades of Swiss Family Robinson?), so it looks like they'll be fighting a war on at least three fronts as the story comes to a close.

I think they could have done the whole movie in about ten minutes and not lost a single thing. They wanted to make another 2 movies and just didn't have enough story for both so they had added filler to the 2nd. I have a feeling the 3rd one will be really good though.

SPOILERS from B5O's post...

Some people think Elizabeth has feelings for Jack. The way I see it, Jack screwed over Will and she flat out killed him for it.

Weren't you listening to her explanation? Are you saying she was incorrect in her analysis?

SPOILERS from B5O's post...

Some people think Elizabeth has feelings for Jack. The way I see it, Jack screwed over Will and she flat out killed him for it.

Weren't you listening to her explanation? Are you saying she was incorrect in her analysis?

Of course, I agree with the logic behind her explanation, but just because the Kraken is after Jack Sparrow you would not expect her to murder him in order to save their asses. She did it and said, "I'm not sorry". That's not just a practical decision, that's saying, "You sold out my fiance to escape your fate, now I'm putting you right back where you belong."

Finally saw this tonight and loved it. I actually thought it was headed towards the disappointment category through the first hour or so (the whole island natives sequence was pointless and dragged on way too long), and as Recoil mentioned the plot was MUCH way more "out there" and it kind of caught me offguard and took a bit longer to accept, but once I did I sat back and enjoyed the ride.

SPOILER:

Loved the ever-changing allegiances (just like the first) and thought Elizabeth's betrayal was great.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back