• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Enterprise TOS Mirror Universe Crossover Tonight

Re: Enterprise TOS Mirror Universe Crossover Tonig

Well, that's why the ending was stupid. I posted last week my assumption that the Defiant would have to be destroyed by the end to maintain a balance among the universes, otherwise Mirror Kirk (known as Tiberius to his friends, if he had any) would be cruising around in the ISS Enterprise E.

My problem with the Gorn (and I knew right away it would be a Gorn) was that it was a meaningless detour that served no purpose. If they wanted to CGI him, that's okay, but I too wish they had left him with the more humanoid look of the original costume. And those shiny compound eye thingees.... :cool:
Then there's the tradmark Gorn headcold roar.

UuuhhhhAAAAYYAAAYYYYaaaaaGGHHHH.
THHHTHHHTH.

Anyone notice that Admiral Black was the same actor currently playing the pussy President in 24?

Well, that's why the ending was stupid. I posted last week my assumption that the Defiant would have to be destroyed by the end to maintain a balance among the universes, otherwise Mirror Kirk (known as Tiberius to his friends, if he had any) would be cruising around in the ISS Enterprise E.
The ending was stupid for several reasons, but you can probably explain away why the Mirror Universe wan't more advanced when Kirk crossed over (though I hate the fact that you "have to" explain away such things... kinda like the Stan Lee's "No Prize" back in the 70s, if the writers were more on the ball you wouldn't have to explain things away)

-- Maybe Empress Sato wanted to be in sole possession of the new technology and "discouraged" any efforts to reverse-engineer it (frankly, I would have done this myself, because I would be too afraid that someone else would use the technology to get rid of me)

-- Maybe after putting down so many ships in the ensuing rebellion the Defiant was damaged to the point of destruction

-- Maybe they ran into some space anomaly of alien being of enourmous power that destroyed the ship before it could be picked apart

-- Maybe they had their own version of the Dark Age where technology simply stood still for a long period of time .

-- Maybe they inadvertenly set off the self-destruct... who the hell knows.

I didn't mind the ending at all. I also dont completely agree with the "sleeping to the top" angle. I think the ending of that episode does a great job of showing the trechary that took place in the TOS episode Mirror Mirror, with constant scheming and plotting to overthrow those above you to move up in rank. Remember in the TOS era if you killed a senior officer, everyone moved up. We didn't see that in this incarnation of the Mirror universe, perhaps Sato is the one who put that into effect. I think her plotting and her move really goes a long way to showing how things get how they get in the TOS Mirror era.

The Gorn part was OK, but a letdown after seeing the Tholian. I agree with P10, I liked the Gorn in TOS better.

As for the technology, there are lots of reasons why the Mirror universe may still be even. For one, they are fighting a big rebellion that our universe did not. Maybe that set them behind enough that the Defiant capture made things even again.

Or as P10 said, maybe it was destroyed or damanged in the act of overthrowing starfleet.

Overall I give a big thumbs up for this 2 parter. What I liked best, is that it wasnt a crossover episode (DS9 did those to DEATH). It was a tale being told entirely in the alternate universe. That made it just very cool and very fun.

On a serious note: Was I the only one who thought the rebel/emotional T'Pol in the Blue uniform was FUCKING HOT AS HELL? Damn I wanted some of that. I liked that version of T'Pol a lot better than the real non-emotional Vulcan one. :)

On a serious note: Was I the only one who thought the rebel/emotional T'Pol in the Blue uniform was FUCKING HOT AS HELL? Damn I wanted some of that. I liked that version of T'Pol a lot better than the real non-emotional Vulcan one.
Even going back to TOS and DS9, women in the mirror universe are just hotter (i.e. Uhura). There's no rhyme or reason to it. Kira, who I never thought about one way or the other in DS9, became the Goddess of Sex in the Mirror Universe. Hell, I think even Capt. Sisko slept with the Mirror Universe Dax when he crossed over.

While the ending twist was highly amusing ... I just wasn't as impressed with this episode as part one. Archer's evil conscience stuff was bothersome, the Gorn plot was kinda lame, and I wasn't terribly impressed with the CGI (the Tholian was better), and T'Pol, far from the cool and ruthless chick in part one, seemed to be back on the Trellium-D in part two. I understood T'Pol's motivation, but it would have been better if she'd been less emotional about it.

Overall, the mirror universe was an entertaining distraction, and definitely some of Enterprise's better work.

On a serious note: Was I the only one who thought the rebel/emotional T'Pol in the Blue uniform was FUCKING HOT AS HELL?

Nope.

I thought the preview I saw showed tall buildings on Earth being attacked by the Defiant's phasers.

I didn't see the previews (don't get them in Canada), but I know that the next two episodes are back in the "normal" universe, dealing with humans determined to remove the alien presence from Earth.

Then there's the finale, which, according to spoilers and some interviews with the cast, is gonna be really bad.

Yeah, I was very wrong. I didn't pay that much attention to the preview, and the ending of the second mirror univ ep looked so much like it would have another ep to complete the story, and show how the Defiant failed to alter the mirror univ of Kirk's time substantially. I am looking forward to Peter Weller, even if he plays a bad guy.

I actually liked the Hoshi Sato, Empress twist. Kind of reminds me of Claudius becoming Emperor - someone who was so low on the food chain that they were never even considered a competitor, unexpectedly taking over.

I just got a ghastly image of Derek Jakobi in a black nightie.
**SHUDDER**

I like to think that even Enterprise itself takes place in a mirror universe. At least that way I dont have to try and figure out their continuity. ;)

I actually liked the Hoshi Sato, Empress twist. Kind of reminds me of Claudius becoming Emperor - someone who was so low on the food chain that they were never even considered a competitor, unexpectedly taking over.

Or Londo Mollari.

Wow, I also assumed there would be a third ep. Oh well.

- There was no reason to wear TOS uniforms other than to give the audience a kick.

- Recoil, can't say I really agree with you on T'Pol. She ain't got no ass. Hoshi, on the other hand- NICE! And despite individual preferences, we got a sweet catfight.

- Interesting to see that Vulcan ambassador guy as just another crew member in this universe. Watching their attempt at revolution was a bit of a downer knowing it would fail.

- T'Pol predicting that manking would pay "even if it takes centuries"- a reference to Deep Space 9?

- Archer's terrible overacting was an unintentional tribute to Kirk. His posing, comical supervillain impression rivals the cheese of evil universe Kirk, and even "animal" Kirk when he was split in two.

- There was no reason to wear TOS uniforms other than to give the audience a kick

Well, technically, the only characters that were in TOS outfits were the ones that came aboard in environmental suits and didn't have anything else to change into.

As for the ending...remember, they didn't know when writing this two parter that this would be the last season. It's my guess that we may well have returned to the Mirror Universe next season to see the results of Sato's coup. It would've been fun.

Secondly, remember that part of what Coto wanted to do was to bring the fun back and tie in moments and feelings that would begin to repair the 15 years of Berman's fuck-ups. This cannot be done overnight. He has made some wonderful tie-ins and some fantastic repairs (the Klingons' change in looks being the best one). But even I haven't fully agreed with some of his choices, though I will admit that he may still have been overruled on some issues by the idiot in charge (RB).

The last episode...I dread it. ST was finally coming into its own again, not perfect, but definately driven by a vision and a hope. RB and BB will do what they do best in the final episode...destroy ST. It will be a sad ending. Ultimately, however, if it means that RB and BB will be gone from ST forever, then it is a price I am willing to pay.

The next incarnation will hopefully still have Coto at the helm...perhaps even with JMS by his side.

CE

PS: I liked the whole two-parter. It was a fun, rollicking adventure that didn't take itself too seriously...and that's all it was meant to be.

Here's some info about the possible fates of "our universe" Archer and Hoshi as revealed by Sussman talking about what was on the viewscreens evil universe Archer and Hoshi were looking at.

Trektoday

Well, technically, the only characters that were in TOS outfits were the ones that came aboard in environmental suits and didn't have anything else to change into.

Luckly, they all chose the right colors. :p

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back