B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old March 21st 06, 19:19   #1
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

V for Vendetta

I'm pretty sure I want to see this, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has already taken a look at it. Also I' d be interested in hearing what our Brit members think of its premise, in particular in the wake of the bombings this past year.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st 06, 19:43   #2
vacantlook

Re: V for Vendetta

I saw it on Saturday and liked it a great deal. I haven't read the comic that it's based on, but I have read that some people who have both read the comic and seen the movie that it's not exactly like the comic (but then, what movies ever are exactly like their written source material?). The criticism that the movie presents toward democratic governments' sliding into fascism is not subtle. Above all, the film is a call to the people to wake up and take back the government.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st 06, 22:12   #3
LondosHair
First One

If you go looking for political vindication, or just the opposite, you'll find a way to see both in the film.

Personally, I enjoyed the heck out of it because the characters are written so smartly, and the movie makes you think. It's very rhetorical... but it wasn't rhetorical propaganda. In fact, I found the references to the United States to be more amusing than anything else.

The best badasses are always the well-spoken ones. This is why Morpheus was a badass in The Matrix, and Neo was just a skinny twerp who got lucky. V is definitely one of the most well-spoken badasses I've ever had the pleasure of watching on the big screen. His introduction to Natalie Portman's character is a mastery of linguistics, and only Hugo Weaving can deliver it so well.
LondosHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st 06, 22:42   #4
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Good. That pretty much settles it in my mind. I've seen some bad reviews -- but even Star Wars got bad reviews, which shows what critics know.
Old March 22nd 06, 04:35   #5
G Kar of the Kha Ri
First One

Send a message via ICQ to G Kar of the Kha Ri Send a message via AIM to G Kar of the Kha Ri

Having read the comic several years ago, I know I was looking forward to this. That, and worried about the translation to the big screen. It seems like it worked out alright, even with whatever alterations may have been made.

As it stands, I'm STILL looking forward to this. Just need to get out and catch it... sometime.
G Kar of the Kha Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd 06, 14:57   #6
Kaleb
First One

I very much enjoyed it when i saw it the other night.
Kaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th 06, 01:18   #7
AntonyF
Administrator

Not read the comic, but LOVED the movie. Really loved it... best I've seen in ages, maybe even in my top ten. I'd need to see it a second time and really see.

But I saw it this afternoon and it's really stuck with me. There was so much to love about it, I just loved its entire execution.

And Natalie Portman is FINE. Mmm.
AntonyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th 06, 17:21   #8
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Okay, I saw it last night, and in the words of a friend who saw it with me, "I left my brain on the wall behind me."

I very much need to see it again. Truly fantastic.
Old March 27th 06, 04:08   #9
tlsmith1963
Commander

I love, love, love this movie! Living in America is so sad & frustrating these days. We needed a film like this. I will probably see it again, & I rarely go to movie theaters these days. You pay so much to get in, & you pay so much for the food. If I am going to pay so much money, the film had *better* be good! "V" was worth the money.

Tammy
tlsmith1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th 06, 15:52   #10
B5_Obsessed
First One

Excellent movie with great dialogue and character moments. Halfway through V's introductory speech, my son said, "You can tell the Wachoski's wrote this." Hugo Weaving at his best and almost worth the price of admission right there.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote