• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Deep space 9

It's like watching ballet, eh? You get to see what's there, whether you want to or not. :LOL:
Advantage or disadvantage: that's up to everyone to judge for themselves, I guess. :)

As far as synthahol, I believe we've had contradictory information on that. I could have sworn that in the original series it is either said or implied that Scotty has a stash of "real" booze as synthahol isn't quite the 'real thing'. I thought comments were made from time to time, too, but perhaps synthahol is simply non-hangover-producing if you want it to be, not if you don't?

It doesn't really matter, the series has many contradictions. Inevitable without a central writer at the helm keeping all the details straight for all of those years.

And yes, Dax living actually makes perfect sense: it's what that symbiosis species deal is all about. It's eerie how, without even meaning to, both series (DS9 and B5) lost important, strong female characters just before the last season.

That's what they get for stealing the original idea. Fate's revenge. :LOL: ;)

Synthehol (a portmanteau of "synthesized" and "alcohol") is a chemical variant of alcohol. It appears to have the same taste and smell as "real" alcohol to most individuals, but none of the deleterious effects associated with alcohol for most humanoids, such as debilitating intoxication, addiction, and alcohol poisoning. Most humanoids have an enzyme which breaks down the alcohol-like compounds in synthehol. According to Data, synthehol's "intoxicating effects can be easily dismissed". (TNG: "Relics") It is suggested in VOY: "The Cloud" that synthehol, like alcohol, can occasionally give its drinker acid heartburn, when Harry Kim tells Tom Paris, "I don't like to drink, this late at night; I get an acid heartburn."
It is a regular ingredient in the drinks served on Starfleet vessels and starbases, but some bartenders like Guinan and Quark kept a supply of alcoholic beverages for customers requesting such. (TNG: "Relics"; DS9, various)
The slight chemical difference between synthehol and real alcohol is an annoyance to lovers of alcoholic beverages such as Robert Picard and Montgomery Scott. Robert Picard believed that synthehol corrupted his brother Jean-Luc Picard's taste for wine, while Jean-Luc believed it gave one a greater appreciation for the real thing. (TNG: "Family") Captain Scott was able to differentiate alcohol from synthehol when he drank a glass of scotch in the USS Enterprise-D's Ten Forward lounge. He found the taste revolting, and he let the young bartender who served him know it. (TNG: "Relics")
On Ferenginar, Quark was known as "The Synthehol King". (DS9: "Body Parts")
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Synthehol

and according to the web, i guess jadzia had to die cus she wanted to go on Becker - a sitcom that had ted danson in it that i never watched.

I guess the ending was good.

Not sure about elevating Sisko to godhood though. :borg:

and according to the web, i guess jadzia had to die cus she wanted to go on Becker - a sitcom that had ted danson in it that i never watched.

No, I think Terry Farrell was fired from DS9, and then got the role on "Becker" (an excellent show, BTW, for Terry's entire stint on it). "Becker" fell apart when Terry got fired from it between Season 4 & 5, and when Bob (Salverio Guerra ) left. Seasons 1 thru 4 were great, but Seasons 5 & 6 sucked.

Last episode with Terry(Reggie):
http://www.tv.com/becker/everybody-loves-becker-2/episode/146842/summary.html

Cheap phone in to get around having Terry/Reggie in S5E1:
http://www.tv.com/becker/someones-i...e/195877/summary.html?tag=episode_header;next

Last edited:
Ineresting, I'd always heard she quiz Deep Space 9 and was fired from Becker.

What source(s) are you using for your info?

Ineresting, I'd always heard she quiz Deep Space 9 and was fired from Becker.

What source(s) are you using for your info?

I'll have to dig it up when I get home. I'm posting this from my Droid, on the road.

I must have gotten it from the following:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000395/bio
Personal Quotes
About being killed off on "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" (1993): "I begged the producers not to kill me. They thought I was just being this neurotic little actress hoping to have a part to come back to, but I really meant it. I didn't want to see six great years end that way."

...which made it look to me that she left unvoluntarily, hence it looked like she'd been fired.

Then, tonight, years after I'd last looked for this stuff, I found the following:
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/community/chat/archive/transcript/1194.html
" It was a very difficult decision to leave the show but my contract of 6 years was up and I felt in my heart that I was ready to move on for creative reasons. I went through many struggles over the decision but I knew something different, more challenging was out there for me. And so I hope you understand that it was a career decision for me and I will always love the character of Dax and treasure the time I spent with her. And now, I have Reggie, so I'll never know if I would have missed the 7th season, because I'm very happy hanging with Ted Danson."

There's also this, but who knows how much of it's true:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000395/board/nest/43284934
Why Terry was fired from Becker..the truth here!
by anewbie (Sun May 14 2006 00:56:14)
UPDATED Sun May 14 2006 01:01:35
"There is no mystery about it!
When Becker started she and the other regulars (except star Ted Danson) were given the same 4 year contract, which promised a raise at the end of season 3.
Season 3 ended and just before season 4 started filming Paramount informed them they were renigging on the raise..the excuse Paramount gave was that the show had not been sold for syndication yet..
Terry led the others (again not Ted) in not reporting for work ..Paramount threatened them,,Terry led the others in hiring a lawyer to file a lawsuit..
Paramount caved in and granted them all the original raise promised except for poor Terry whom they fired as a scapegoat, and to make an example of to warn all the actors in all the other show Paramount tv produces..Paramounts obvious message to their casts "Stand up for yourself when we try to screw you and you will be history, just like Terry Farrell!"
To conclude it was not Terry's fault..she was not being greedy, ect..
The excuse Paramount had the show's creator and producer give to the press was that they had decided for the show to 'go in another direction, with Nancy Travis as a love interest for Ted, ect'..pure bull..

This was the second time poor Terry has been screwed over by Paramount..
From the start of DS9 although she was an original cast member, she was allways paid less than the others...Hence at the end of season six she held out for equal pay..Paramount refused and she took their offer of Becker instead..in response Paramount killed off her character on DS9...
It is a well known ST legend that that is how Paramount allways screws any ST show actor who leaves by choice..they kill off their character..If Paramount decides to write out a character they have them leave without killing them, so they can be brought back as desired by the writers."

Last edited:
Whatever I don't see the problem- she decided to leave that show for career reasons, as she says. Nothing wrong with that. But then how can you bitch about how they decide to exit the character? Especially since, in this case, they still wanted to have a "Dax" of some sort, and the very nature of this particular alien character would logically suggest that one dies to allow for another.

Of course the real problem is that they ended up introducing a new major character in the final season, which is always rough, and even something B5 ended up doing, but also because an actor left the show. This is just the nature of doing a running TV show.

:LOL:

If that were all it took to get a pay raise, I think you'd see a lot more of it on t.v. ;)

And I see nothing posted that would indicate Farrell was fired from DS9. She didn't like how they killed off the character after she decided to leave, and later was probably fired from Becker. But I do think she actually quite the first job, the DS9 role.

It would have been better for the series, I think, to let Dax leave. Yes, introducing a new character in the last season is something that's difficult. I'd avoid it if possible. JMS didn't have that luxury, unless he wanted to promote someone on the station and he already had plans for every major character.

:LOL:

If that were all it took to get a pay raise, I think you'd see a lot more of it on t.v. ;)

And I see nothing posted that would indicate Farrell was fired from DS9. She didn't like how they killed off the character after she decided to leave, and later was probably fired from Becker. But I do think she actually quite the first job, the DS9 role.

It would have been better for the series, I think, to let Dax leave. Yes, introducing a new character in the last season is something that's difficult. I'd avoid it if possible. JMS didn't have that luxury, unless he wanted to promote someone on the station and he already had plans for every major character.

It would have been better for "Becker" to keep Reggie (Farrell) on the show, but Paramount didn't care. So, the show, which had a good thing going with befuddled Becker (because of his Reggie/Chris situation), did that CHEAPEST of maneuvers (the phonecall, not even using Farrell's voice, to write Reggie/Farrell out), and the show petered out from there. Chris (Nancy Travis) was OK, but the character played by Jorge Garcia was a waste.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back