B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old August 22nd 06, 21:06   #41
vacantlook

Re: b5 interior map wanted

Oh, I certainly don't think that you shouldn't alert to potential consquences. Your knowledge is a resource, for sure, which is why I asked. I was curious as to if WB would go with a cease and desist letter first if they encountered such a station map, or if they'd bypass that and move on to another more advanced action.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 06, 21:35   #42
ryuu
Psi Cop

Send a message via AIM to ryuu Send a message via MSN to ryuu

thanks for the advice amy think ill risk it anyway i dont really care if i get roud to "distributing" it it willl just be fun to make...
ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 06, 23:09   #43
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

At the risk of derailing the thread, a few creators are okay with fan fiction. Joss Whedon has reportedly given his fans the liscence to do what they like, as long as no money changes hands.
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 06, 00:21   #44
Jan
Psi Cop

Does Joss actually own any of the shows he's created? If he doesn't, he can't really give permission.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 06, 01:22   #45
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Friendly fellow
Indeed.

Sorry, Ryuu, but it seems you started this thread to ask for help and then started insulting the people trying to help you.

The copyright discussion is proving to be rather interesting, though.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 06, 03:41   #46
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Hey, vacantlook, I hope I didn't come across as snippy with you! Because I wasn't feeling snippy! I thought it was a good question, sincerely, and I gave my best answer.

Although I definitely was feeling a bit snippy from the abuse I was getting from ryuu...
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 06, 03:55   #47
vacantlook

No, you didn't seem snippy to me. I hope I didn't come across as return-snippy, myself. Legal stuff always makes my head spin.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 06, 09:03   #48
crazyhorse
Anarchist

As I said before,I misread the original question and never realised that it would be published online.However as there is a B5 roleplaying game anyway WB must realise that these sort of things are a major part of these games.Floorplans are needed and most people will write there own adventures.It is part and parcel of this sort of game so I would think a bit of leeway would be granted.
Is there not a B5 technical manual available?This should also give more detail on stations plans although I doubt it would have a fully detailed set of plans I would think that the more important areas would have a page or two.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 06, 09:41   #49
GaribaldisHair
First One

Quote:
As I said before,I misread the original question and never realised that it would be published online.However as there is a B5 roleplaying game anyway WB must realise that these sort of things are a major part of these games.Floorplans are needed and most people will write there own adventures.It is part and parcel of this sort of game so I would think a bit of leeway would be granted.
Isn't that the point that Amy has been making though. There is nothing to stop anyone putting together their own floorplan and using it in their own adventures to play at home, but as soon as they put it on the web it has been distributed and therefore potentially open to a WB cease-and-desist order.

As Amy also says, they are almost duty-bound to issue one if they find something that breaches their copyright, so that future breachers cannot turn around and claim that as nothing was done in previous cases then WB had implied that it was OK to do so in future.

And, as far as Joss Whedon goes, if he owns the rights and copyright to his shows then it is within his purview to give permission or not for fans to write their own fiction with his characters etc. If he doesn't own them, then legally it doesn't matter what he says, it is up to the studio to decide.

If JMS suddenly announced that he was done with B5 forever and fans were free to do what they liked in his universe, it would make no difference to the current situation, because WB owns B5 and it is up to them, not JMS, to decide what they will and will not allow.

Do I remember reading somewhere that WB are considered to be among the more protective of their properties in these circumstances?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd 06, 11:59   #50
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Do I remember reading somewhere that WB are considered to be among the more protective of their properties in these circumstances?
As I recall, back when the show was on, JMS worked with WB legal and they came to the informal agreement that fan websites using images from the show were okay *as long as* they had all the appropriate copyright information on them. This post from back then explains things very understandably.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote