B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old August 21st 06, 19:00   #21
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Re: b5 interior map wanted

Whether or not you make money doesn't affect whether or not a use is an infringement -- it only affects the amount of the damages a trademark owner can collect. If you're not using any images or characters from B5, and since specifics of the station design weren't hugely pivotal on the show, why base your module even loosely on B5? Why not just create your own environment and call it something else? If you're using the name, you obviously want to trade on the fact that Babylon 5 is a known quantity.
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st 06, 21:18   #22
ryuu
Psi Cop

Send a message via AIM to ryuu Send a message via MSN to ryuu

if it isnt that good im not even going to do anything with it ill probually delete it and i want too make a b5 map cause i like it and there have been worse breeches of copyright law on the site i will release it on im not in the mood to argue the finer rights of the law right now
ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st 06, 21:27   #23
crazyhorse
Anarchist

I would say he would be OK to make a station based loosely on B5 for his own roleplaying little gang.The thing is I could write a B5 book without breaking any copyright laws as long as it wasn't published without permission.This protectionism over JMS's work can go a little far,give the kid a break
As too why do it,why not?He is playing a star wars game and wants to make it a little more his/her/its own universe.A bit of stealing the good bits from other shows and mashing them all together is part of that.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st 06, 21:54   #24
ryuu
Psi Cop

why are you talking about me like i am a six yr old who cant read god if you didnt have a point id be insulted by that!
Old August 21st 06, 22:26   #25
Jan
Psi Cop

AnlaShokGrey has a lot of knowledge about copyright law and does her best to dispell incorrect assumptions about infringement. It's not a matter of being protectionist about JMS's work, he doesn't own B5. You'd be amazed at some of the misapprehensions I've seen posted.

Just as I jump in with info from the scripts when something incorrect is posted, AnlaShokGrey jumps in when there's infringement going on that a poster might not be aware of. Face it, if ryuu is thinking of posting his/her work on a website, that *is* publishing it. Isn't it better to be informed by a friendly fellow boardmember than by a 'Cease and Desist' letter from WB's lawyers? Because it's *not* JMS's universe, it's theirs.

Ryuu, no offense meant, but your posts are kind of hard to read sometimes because of the spelling.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st 06, 22:50   #26
ryuu
Psi Cop

sorry and you certainly have a point there but im most likely not going to release it or even complete it as im not rlly good at mapping
Old August 22nd 06, 01:12   #27
crazyhorse
Anarchist

Just reading back,didn't realise it was for an online game
That would make a differance in copyright but a few changes in layout would cover that ok.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 06, 01:19   #28
ryuu
Psi Cop

not totaly online
Old August 22nd 06, 03:47   #29
AnlaShokGrey
Ambassador

Quote:
The thing is I could write a B5 book without breaking any copyright laws as long as it wasn't published without permission.
Well, first of all, what riyuu was contemplating was trademark infringement rather than copyright infringement. But to address your point, it's not strictly correct. First of all, if you wrote a book using characters from Babylon 5, again, it's trademark infringement, not copyright infringement. It would be copyright infringement if you used passages of JMS's (or any of the other scriptwriters') dialogue, or passages from any of the B5 novels.

And, you say that it wouldn't be an infringement unless you published without permission. Well, to "publish" is a fairly vague term that could mean a lot of things, but I'm assuming you mean "print books and sell them." Not true. You are infringing on WB's trademark if you write that book using characters from B5, and distribute it. Distribution means giving out copies, whether you're charging or not. So if you made five copies and gave them to your parents and your handful of best friends, probably nobody would care; but if you printed out fifty or a hundred copies and gave them out for free at a con -- or, if you posted it on a website where people could read it for free -- you've infringed on WB's trademark.

Someone on the LiveJournal B5 community just brought up getting a tattoo of a B5 symbol and wondered if it would be a copyright infringement. Just to clarify, "trademark" generally refers to a word, a short phrase, or a symbol or design or logo (characters fall under trademark). While "copyright" protects original works of authorship, including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works (the content of scripts fall under copyright).

And, thanks Jan, for your kind words.

Amy
AnlaShokGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd 06, 05:36   #30
vacantlook

So, Amy, it sounds like fanfiction is all illegal?
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote