• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

'Revenge of the Sith' reviews (Spoilers)

Sinclair

\'Revenge of the Sith\' reviews (Spoilers)

I figure I'll go ahead and get a thread for Episode III reviews ready as it's coming out tonight. I'll probably end up seeing it tomorrow after work.

Re: \'Revenge of the Sith\' reviews (Spoilers)

From Scifi.com

They gave it a grade of B+

War!
So begins the crawl of the last Star Wars movie. The Clone Wars have reached the skies of the city-planet Coruscant, where Chancellor Palpatine (McDiarmid) has been taken hostage by the villainous Gen. Grievous, head of the droid army, and the Separatist Alliance.

Obi-Wan Kenobi (McGregor) and Anakin Skywalker (Christensen) pilot their small fighters amid the raging battle to mount a rescue. Anakin and Obi-Wan again confront the nefarious Count Dooku (Christopher Lee). And a series of near-disastrous events almost destroys them all.

But they succeed, and back on Coruscant, Anakin is reluctant to assume the hero's mantle. All he wants is to be with Padme (Portman), who has happy news: She is pregnant!

But Anakin chafes under the secrecy of their marriage. He also bristles at what he perceives to be his poor treatment at the hands of the Jedi Council, led by Master Mace Windu (Jackson). When the council needs someone to head crucial missions to Utapau to rout Gen. Grievous, or to the Wookiee planet of Kashyyyk to confront the droid army, it sends Obi-Wan or Yoda, but never Anakin.

Only Chancellor Palpatine seems to understand Anakin's dilemma. Taking him into his confidence, Palpatine appoints Anakin to be his special representative on the Jedi Council. That raises further distrust on the part of Windu, who grudgingly accepts Anakin's appointment but refuses to promote him to master. At the same time, Obi-Wan asks Anakin to spy on Palpatine, in effect asking him to betray his mentor.

But Anakin has a greater worry. His dreams are troubled by visions of Padme's death. His only hope of saving her: a tantalizing story about a Sith Lord who held the power of life and death, achieved only through study of the dark side of the Force.

The circle is now complete

The much-anticipated final installment in Lucas' epic Star Wars saga is here, and the good news is—it doesn't suck. Die-hard fans will love it: It pays off all of the issues that writer/director Lucas has painstakingly set up in the previous two prequels and tidily tees up Episode IV. But the surprise for more casual fans is that Episode III may be the best Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back.

Lucas offers up the usual Star Wars pleasures, including stunning visuals, dazzling spectacle, epic space battles and swift lightsaber duels. The beginning sequence, in particular, is beautifully rendered and paced, opening with a sweeping run over the surface of a massive battlecruiser in a scene that recalls both the opening of the original Star Wars and that film's climactic attack on the Death Star, and culminating in the biggest space battle scene likely ever filmed.

Beyond the thrills, however, Episode III displays unexpected subtlety in its drama. Lucas shows a sure hand in depicting how a good, if flawed, man can be seduced into evil acts at the same time an empire can rise, as Padme observes, to thunderous applause. For much of the film, it's easy to empathize with well-meaning Anakin's inner conflict. At all times, he just wants to do the right thing, and he doesn't lie about his motives or actions, even to Padme or Obi-Wan. Ultimately, Anakin is as surprised as anyone when he commits the act that places him on an irrevocable course toward the dark side. Episode III shows how good and evil, as Palpatine suggests, might simply depend on your point of view.

In Episode III, Lucas also seems to have remembered what made the original Star Wars so special: irreverent humor, heroic struggle, magical strangeness and an underlying melancholy.

Episode III falls just short of being a great movie for the usual reasons. Lucas is still hamhanded with intimate dialogue. (Padme: "You're a good person. Don't do this.") And he is still inconsistent in eliciting great performances. Portman and Jackson are especially stiff. Christensen has the right mix of confusion, anger and menace, though he is less credible as a romantic figure. McDiarmid goes completely over the top, particularly when encased in makeup that renders him nearly laughably grotesque.

Despite that, I defy even the most skeptical fan not to feel a lump in his throat when that dark mask inevitably thunks into place, when the droids board the Tantive IV or when those double suns rise over Tatooine for the last time. —Patrick

Saw it at the premiere midnight session, and I gotta say I was pleasantly suprised.

SPOLIERS FOLLOW (Obviously)

The good points:
-Hayden Christensen gives his best performance to date - still a bit wooden occasionally, but finally rises to the occasion. Very dark when he needs to be.
-Ewen's performance nicely mirrors the 'future' performance of Alec Guiness. Nicely done.
-The story hangs together very well, with little of the romantic subplot that killed Ep 2.
-The lightsaber duels are incredible - especially the final Anakin/Obi Wan fight.
-The politics of the fall of the Republic nicely mirror (in a very simple way, of course) the fall of the Roman republic.
-Jar Jar only appears at the very end and says NOTHING! Hooray!
-Mace Widu goes out kicking arse.
-Anakin's injuries, which nicely explain why his light-saber moves in Episode 4-6 are so stiff and lack the firepower of Eps 1-3.
-Very dark in places - finally Lucas sees the light and gives us some real tragedy.
-R2D2 kicks arse - good to see.

Bad points:
-Anakin seems to go the the Dark Side all to quickly, pleding himself to Darth Sidious and killing the children in all too rapid sucession, when it is obvious he still had reservations about the Sith Lord only moments before - the ploy of saving Padme was too simple to account for the turn.
-Why the hell give General Grievous a limp and breathlessness? He's a DROID, for freak's sake!
-The overacting of Darth Sidious
-The still clunky dialogue, especially between Anakin and Padme. Luckily, there was nowhere near the amount that appeared in Ep 2.
-Does it really take some 18 years to finish the Death Star, given the state of the infrastructure at the end of the movie?

Surprises:
Anakin was CREATED, by the Sith Lord who trained Darth Sidious, who was able to manipulate Midichlorines to create life! Now that I didn't see coming, and nicely set up the notion that the whole destruction of the Jedi had been planned for decades, especially in using their own prophecy to destroy them.

Overall, I really enjoyed it - not as good as episodes 4 and 5, but damn close. My rating 8 out of 10.

I'll echo Oatley's sentiments except that I felt Anakin's turn was believable. In deciding that he'd do anything for Padme he fully understood how far he'd have to go. He was crying after doing what he 'had' to do at the temple. Also bear in mind that his pledging allegiance to Sidious was just a pretence to get what he wanted, he never intended to support the Sith Lord's reign.
Grievous wasn't just a droid though was he.

R2-D2 - Goood.
Story - Goood.
Lightsaber duels - Dayum! :D

Oatley,
I agree with both your Good Points and Bad Points almost exactly. We must be on the same wavelength. The only difference is I felt that there were only very brief moments of overacting from the emperor. Most of his performance was fine.

Here are a few things I can add (***SPOILERS***)...

Good Points:
- The opening action sequence, lasting 30 minutes, is very impressive. It contains a virtually perfect blend of action, humor, and foreshadowing of story elements that happen later in the movie.
- The pacing is excellent. It moves so fast, that at one point I started to worry the movie was almost over. I reminded myself of certain plot points that still had to happen, and there was still 30-45 minutes left.
- Yoda's character is also handled just as well as Obi-Wan's is.
- Most of the ship designs, locales, and wardrobes are cooler in this movie compared to Episode 2.
- Connects all the episodes together rather well.

Bad Points:
- Several blatant moments of bad dialogue and/or bad acting.
- Chewbacca is monumentally under-used.
- Redeeming himself for episodes 1 & 2, Lucas does a much better directing job (*overall*--several scenes are exceptions), but sometimes he's almost too good at directing the special effects. Sometimes there's so much going on on-screen, that my brain literally has a hard time processing it all. I like sitting up front, but I know I'll be seeing it again with someone who likes to sit further back. Sitting further away may cut down on this problem.
- There were at least two pivotal moments in the movie that should have been very serious that actually garnered laughter from about a third of the audience. One of those moments wasn't really justified, but the other moment deserved it because of bad directing/writing choices by Lucas.
- The worst parts of the movie, by far, are the lines of dialogue given to Padme and the performance of Natalie Portman. For someone who has won various acting awards and Oscar nominations, she is the turd of this movie. I hate to say that, but I have a hard time thinking of more than a couple of her scenes that I thought were done well. At least part of the blame must go to Lucas, because she's also given some of the worst lines as Padme.
- I just now realized this, but we do not see Yoda take up residence on Dagobah, and while there was a Qui-Gon mention, there was no Liam Neeson cameo. I could do without Liam Neeson anyway. Also, I guess there's enough time between Episodes 3 and 5 that Yoda didn't have to go straight to Dagobah, but I thought seeing him there again would be neat.

While I list more bad points than good points, that's just in terms of the details. Overall, it's better than the other prequels put together, and *maybe* on par with Episodes 4 & 6. I'll have to see it again to be sure. That will happen in another 8.5 hours. ;)

There is so much packed into this one movie, that stretching the story of Episode 3 over at least 2 movies may have stengthened the whole trilogy. That may have required Anakin starting off older. Then the same teen/adult actor could have played Anakin in 3 instead of 2 movies, and there would be more emotional attachment to the journey of his character. It would have also made the potential for romance between Anakin & Padme more believable between Episodes 1 & 2. Oh well, it's Lucas's movies, and they're already made. Wishing does no good.

When JMS said that the new TV series, set between Episode 3 and 4, was about an unnamed character I assumed that the character was Obi-Wan Kenobi. However, if Yoda is not hiding on Dagobah that the series could be Yoda on the run. That could be fun.

When JMS said that the new TV series, set between Episode 3 and 4, was about an unnamed character I assumed that the character was Obi-Wan Kenobi. However, if Yoda is not hiding on Dagobah that the series could be Yoda on the run. That could be fun.

You mean Lucas, right?

Jan

When did JMS mention anything that could be specific to Star Wars? Can you point to the post?

Jan

I'm NOT sorry, THAT, MOVIE, SUCKED! :mad: :( :rolleyes:

Lucas, what where you thinking? :confused:

Okay, I just watched it. (nerd alert)

Let me get out of the way the only really bad thing worth mentioning: The guy next to me and his 7 year old brother that just wouldn't shut up for two hours. Heh.

My review:
It wasn't perfect, but damn near. Palpatine (or should I say Ian McDiarmid?) is so awesome. He's easily the best character in the movie. We really get to know him, he drops his mask... and gave me the creeps. Seriously, he may be a dark lord, but he knows how to convince people that he's got a point, the big asshole! Even though he's pure evil, there's "humanity" in him- in the sense of pure instinct of self survival. He's so multi-faceted, I realize now.

Anakin - Hayden: wow, dude... just wow. Great performance. He's so tragic. He's just trying to do the right thing throughout the entire movie, and ends up burned. Okay, he killed Dooku, but it was for the Republic's "own good". He didn't really know what was going on. It wasn't a test as clear as the one Luke would "pass".

The Mace affair... Mace had it coming. I think Anakin is just a kind soul. He said it: The old man - his friend - in the floor deserves a trial, and deserves to live, killing him is not the Jedi way. Mace ignored him... what a great example for Anakin. It just frustrated him more. Of course the Jedi should deserve a trial too, and to live. Basically Mace told him that the Jedi are full of bullshit and are just as evil. Hence, moving on to killing them as he was told to kill Sith.

Killing the Separatists- natural progression, he's a killer now. But it was "to end the war". It wasn't for fun. He was crying after it. After all three Episodes, I can't think of a better Anakin than Hayden.

Padme- I guess she's the point of the whole movie. Most problems in the movie would have been solved had not her relationship with Anakin been a secret. And that's all Anakin wants. If you think about it all the tragedies in the movie are the result of misunderstanding and ignorance of the true, kinder, motives of others.

Of course we also learn she might die... and everything Anakin does is to try to avoid that suffering and keep the attachment. Yoda warns him about that, but he won't accept that dying is part of life.

Obi Wan: He was great at the beginning of the movie, but he disappointed me later on. He gave up too quickly on his apprentice. "Obi Wan once thought as you did". He didn't even try to bring him back... he just gave up. It is true that he didn't know Anakin's motives, and felt angry at what he saw, but come on. I think Ewan played great Obi Wan's jealousy of Palpatine's relationship with Anakin. I can't believe he actually left Anakin burn though, I guess the temple really did have an effect on him.

Yoda: He's so hardcore. :D In this one I never once stopped to think "hey, he's CGI". He just was Yoda.

Grievous: He's freaking hilarious. I love him. Great foreshadowing of Darth Vader combined with a lot of humour.

Anyways, great characters... and great story. It isn't a pure black and white, good against evil one, and that's why it's so good. It feels a little rushed, but I I knew it was gonna be that way. And the dialogue is AWESOME, so full of force.

FXs: didn't wow me as much as in Episode II, even though I know they were much better. I guess i'm older now :)

Music: Great. So appropriate. My favourite parts were the Separatist themes, Duel of Fates, and the track while the Empire was declared and Anakin was busy beheading Separatists ;) I can't wait to get the soundtrack :)

Favourite quote: "You turned her against me!". Poor manipulated fool.

Conclusion: In my opinion this is the best Star Wars movie by a LONG shot... and a GREAT movie as well. As I knew it would be. But i'm sure as always there will be wannabe writers envious of George Lucas and negative people in general to bitch, bitch, bitch. :D

Awesome movie! Damn did it kick ass.

Palpatine/Siddeous was such a great character and played to perfection by McDiarmid. I like his manipulation of Anakin. I've always wondered how he pulled it off. I'd also always wondered how the senate could have accepted him as Emperor being all disfigured and all.

I got chills watching the troops turn on the Jedi and kill them all. They really didn't stand much of a chance. I didn't expect Dooku to bite the dust so quickly.

I didn't like Grievous. His character just seemed so unnecessary, just another 'badass' character to make money. Kids will probably go nuts over his action figure though.

I was surprised at how easily all of the Jedi that came to arrest Palpatine were killed. Four Jedi Masters against one Sith Master, they still should have had somewhat of an advantage.

I spent three years wondering who Sifo Dyas (the 'dead' Jedi Master who supposedly ordered the creation of the clone army) was and they didn't answer it in this movie.

Watching the dual duels was great: Yoda/Palpatine and Kenobi/Skywalker. It was a little more gory than I thought it would be watching Anakin on fire and such.

One other thing that irks me now is that Leia said in RotJ that she remembered her real mother and that she had died when she was very young. I find it hard to believe she remembered her mother from only a couple minutes old.

Anyway, I think it did a great job of meshing with the original trilogy. My only other complaint: my boy Tarkin didn't get any lines. :(

When did JMS mention anything that could be specific to Star Wars? Can you point to the post?

Jan
Neither Lucas nor JMS have admitted it. They just each happen to be making a tv series in a suspiciously similar manner, unless they are making the same series.

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17287
Subject: Re: UPN Cancels Enterprise!
To: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
Date: 2/15/2005 3:03:38 AM

>
> The rest I leave to the quiet turning of your considered conscience.
>
> J. Michael Straczynski

Actually...belay everything I just said.

In the 24 hours between the time I composed the prior note, and sent
it, and it made its way through the moderation software, two things
happened:

1) I heard from a trusted source that Paramount is giving the Trek TV
world a rest for maybe one to two years, depending on circumstances, no
matter who would come along to run it. So it's not right to have folks
putting in time doing something that ultimately would be pointless, I
don't think that's a proper use of anybody's time.

2) At the same time as the above, an offer came in to run a new TV
series for fall of '06, and since there's no way anything Trek can
happen in the interim, I've said yes (now we have to negotiate the
deal, but that should be fairly straightforward).

So on two counts, the whole thing is kind of moot.

We can reconvene a year or two down the road to see where this takes
us, but in the interim...my apologies for waking everybody up in the
middle of the night.

As you were.

Thanks and with great chagrinedness --

jms

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?ID=1-17342
Subject: Re: jms in the uk
Date: 5/8/2005 4:44:51 PM
Andrea B. Novin wrote:
> Are you going to the Worldcon in August in Glasgow?
>
> CJW
>

Negative. It might conflict with some things on my schedule.

jms

What JMS said last year
{No URL as I can find this searching but it is not in the date list}
Subject: Re: JMS: Straczynski-verse?
Date: 12/7/2004 4:45:22 AM
>It's been simply *ages* since we've gotten an update on the state of the
>Straczynski-verses. So what's happening with (deep breath):
>
>Comics (ALL of 'em)?

The latest issues of Supreme Power and Amazing Spider-Man came out this past
week, and I'm very happy with them, especially Supreme Power. The next issue
coming out has probably the most brutal and realistic fight I've ever done in
this area, it really shows what would happen in this kind of situation, with
these sorts of individuals. The first two trade paperback collections of
Supreme Power have also come out, availble at amazon.com for those who'd like
to catch up on the story.

I've turned in the first issues of two books that Marvel has asked me to write,
which I'll have to wait for them to announce publicly -- one's a regular
ongoing title and the other is a six issue mini -- and we're about halfway
through the art on Dream Police, which Mike Deodato is drawing. (It looks
gorgeous, by the way.) And I'm three issues in on The Book of Lost Souls, also
for Marvel.

>"But in Purple..."?

Slight delay due to a shift in publishers, but I should have some info soon
about when that will be coming out.

>TV (if any)?

Not at the moment. There are two times a year when show-runner types get
hired: in March and April to produce pilots when the scripts have come in, and
in July/August to pitch new series. So that window will open next in the
spring.

Since it's no longer an issue, because the show was not picked up, the series
I'd mentioned that had come to me to talk about coming aboard as an EP was
Warren Ellis' Global Frequency. I'd met with the people involved, been
approved by the network, went by to meet Warren during filming in Vancouver,
who seemed like a very nice sort, and was waiting for the next round of serious
conversations...but the show has not been picked up by WB. I know they're
shopping it elsewhere, so we'll see, but for now, at least, that's that. (I
have to say, by the way, that the pilot script is probably the smartest script
I've ever read. It could really be one hell of a series.)

One last aside, on a long term project...a certain known film writer/director
was recently asked by a particular studio to do a series using an established
character. This person is a big fan of B5 as well as a friend, so a call came
to me to ask if I wanted in on this. I said hell yes. I can't say much else
about it, because a) it wouldn't be appropriate and b) things can still fall
out, though that's doubtful at this stage (negotiations have formally begun
with the studio), but if it does go ahead, the plan is to write the whole first
season over the course of 2005, shoot in the spring of 2006 for a fall 2006
debut. There are reasons why we'd have to write the whole thing first that
will become clear once I can explain what the character is. Again, I dont want
folks to get too excited about this, because this is a weird business and this
is the one town where hope can kill you, but if it goes ahead as discussed, it
could be massively cool.

>Animation (just covering all bases)?

Warners came to me last year about a possible B5 animated series, but I don't
think it's going to go anywhere. This happens every couple of years.

>Shared Universe?

They've picked the first writer for the Distant Stars series of books, but I
don't know where things stand yet on the first novel. That reminds me, I have
to check in and see how that's going.

The preliminary copies of Tribulation (the last of my original novels bring
reprinted by iBooks/Simon and Schuster) came in last week, so it should be
coming out soon. That puts all of my novels now back in print: Demon Night,
OtherSyde, and Tribulations, with Straczynski Unplugged also available, all on
amazon.com.

>and....whatever it is that you're not able to tell us about this week?

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (the Canadian equivalent of the BBC) will
be producing my radio drama series The Adventures of Apocalypse Al. I'll be
co-directing with their people up in Toronto. It's a series of 5 five-minute
dramas per day, for four weeks, recapped in half-hour installments on the
weekends, for a total of two hours. It's comedy/action, very noir, with a
supernatural bent. The script is all done, so now we just get to have fun.
(Like all CBC productions, it'll be syndicated worldwide, to the BBC and
elsewhere, as well as released on CD down the road, for those not living in
Canada.) I'm *really* looking forward to this because I love the radio drama
form, and this could be a lot of fun.

Finally, because there is a lot of stuff that's going to be popping this coming
year, I've decided to end my hermit period and barnstorm a number of
conventions in 2005. I didn't do any this year, not counting the NJ
fund-raiser, and only one or two the last few years before. I opted out
because I'm much more comfortable talking about the work and what's going on
than just appearing as myself, and because I view the cult of personality thing
pretty much the way G'Kar did, with a jaundiced eye at best. Because of B5 and
everything else, it all just kind of got too big, and I had to withdraw for a
while or risk losing perspective.

So there will be FedCon in Bonn, Germany, the Comics Expo in Bristol England,
and a bucket of comics conventions here in the US. I may also do a few
non-comics cons, depending on what comes along, before ducking back into my
shell for another couple of years.

And that's that for now.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
(all message content (c) 2004 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
and don't send me story ideas)

Here is what Lucas is doing.
http://www.theforce.net/holonet/story/C3_Star_Wars_TV_Show_Info_Recap_91637.asp
C3: Star Wars TV Show Info Recap

Posted By Britany on April 24, 2005
by Joshua Griffin

Here's what we've been told officially about the upcoming live-action TV series from Lucasfilm.
· 100 episodes
· 1 hour each
· based on a spinoff character
· Lucas will direct first season
· write season one at one time
· film season one at one time
· takes place between ROTS and ANH

Of course, the problem is that the Dec. 7 post is only 2 months after this post by JMS

Subject: Re: Star Wars TV Series?
Date: 10/1/2004 4:36:05 PM

>The only person I think could do it - I mean, really do it - would be J.
>Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5, Jerimiah) he is the only person with TV
>Experience that I can think of who could pull it off and get the scale of
>it.

I think it'd be a great idea, it would certainly be the job of a lifetime...I
just don't think the friendly folks at ILM know me well enough to think of me
for this. But if anybody over there reading this wants to put in a good word,
feel free.

jms

(jmsatb5@aol.com)
(all message content (c) 2004 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
and don't send me story ideas)
Where he says that he doesn't think anybody there knows him well enough to offer him the job. Since in the 12/7 post he says that the person who contacted him was a friend...I don't think it holds water. Pleasant dream, but I'm thoroughly unconvinced.

Jan

Anakin - Hayden: wow, dude... just wow. Great performance. He's so tragic. He's just trying to do the right thing throughout the entire movie, and ends up burned. Okay, he killed Dooku, but it was for the Republic's "own good". He didn't really know what was going on. It wasn't a test as clear as the one Luke would "pass".

The Mace affair... Mace had it coming. I think Anakin is just a kind soul. He said it: The old man - his friend - in the floor deserves a trial, and deserves to live, killing him is not the Jedi way. Mace ignored him... what a great example for Anakin. It just frustrated him more. Of course the Jedi should deserve a trial too, and to live. Basically Mace told him that the Jedi are full of bullshit and are just as evil. Hence, moving on to killing them as he was told to kill Sith.

This is ironic part about this part of the movie: At the START of the movie, we see Anakin being Judge/Jury/Executioner of Count Duku because the Chancellor told him to. However when it was the Chancellor's life on the line, and Mace Windu was going to do the EXACT SAME THING that Anakin did earlier (saying he should just be killed because he would only come back and cause problems), Anakin said it was wrong. Can you say hypocrite? IMO it didn't show Anakin doing what he thinks was right, rather he was just being manipulated into doing what was wrong.

I did like the revelation as to how Anakin came to be --- with Sidius's mentor creating him through those menachlorians. I thought that was a nice touch.

A LOT of people have said "I can't believe he turned so quickly." Folks, lets remember one thing. At the BEGINING of the movie, Padme tells Anakin she is pregnant....and she wasnt showing. So she was probably what? 1-2 months pregnant? At the end of the movie she was giving birth. So the scope of this movie, begining to end, was about 6-7 months. THAT is enough time for someone to become corrupted and turned. It may have seemed like a couple weeks of onscreen time, but in fact it was a LOT longer.

I thought the movie was good, but none of these ever had a chance of impressing me as much as the original for pure fun/excitement factor. Probably because movies themselves have come so far since then.

GEORGE LUCAS BITCH TIME:

1) Dude, just give up writing love-scene dialogue. Thank GOD it was only a 2 minute sequence. But when Anakin and Padme were saying "No, its because I love YOU" back and forth to each other I wanted to puke. SEVERAL people in the theater started laughing at the dialogue. HORRIBLE.

2) Let me get this straight ok. Just bear with me here so I understand this. In this movie, its OK to have Anakin come into a room full of Jedi Kids and slay them ALL (showing their bodies later, and having Yoda say they were killed by lightsabler. This is OK now apparently right? Yet in "A New Hope: Special fucked up Edition" you have to have GREEDO SHOOT FIRST? Fucking PLEASE. Are you kidding me with that shit? Get your priorities straight.

One other thing that irks me now is that Leia said in RotJ that she remembered her real mother and that she had died when she was very young. I find it hard to believe she remembered her mother from only a couple minutes old.
I thought about this too...but this is what occurred to me.

1) Bail Organa and his wife ADOPTED Leia at the end of this movie.
2) Leia never knew she was adopted, did she?

If she didn't then her memory of her mother could have been of her stepmother who may have passed when she was young. That would explain why she remembers her mother a little, but Luke never knew her --- when they were split up at the same age. She remembered her stepmother perhaps.

Of course, if it was said somewhere where Leia did know she was adopted, then this explaination doesn't work. In which case its a plot/story error on Lucas's part, but not a "huge" inconsistency I guess. I dont remember the movies to that detail so someone help me here.

But at least for know, I think that explaination works.

I find it hard to believe she remembered her mother from only a couple minutes old.

Maybe the Force gave her that ability.

But wouldn't it also give Luke that ability? He seemed to have spent a lot more time (in that short time) with her than Leia did.

2) Leia never knew she was adopted, did she?

She knew she was adopted, but I'm not sure where exactly this information is found. I remember reading an interview with Lucas talking about this once.

Let me get this straight ok. Just bear with me here so I understand this. In this movie, its OK to have Anakin come into a room full of Jedi Kids and slay them ALL (showing their bodies later, and having Yoda say they were killed by lightsabler. This is OK now apparently right? Yet in "A New Hope: Special fucked up Edition" you have to have HAN SHOOT FIRST?

You mean Greedo shooting first. Actually, he changed it again for the DVD's where they are now shooting almost simultaneously. I really don't understand how Lucas' mind works.

Where he says that he doesn't think anybody there knows him well enough to offer him the job. Since in the 12/7 post he says that the person who contacted him was a friend...I don't think it holds water. Pleasant dream, but I'm thoroughly unconvinced.

Jan
It could be a different film director. Possibly a series about a super hero.

At the variety show the host described all the guests as friends. As my mother pointer out earlier in the show he said he had met some of them for the first time that day. The entertainment industry obviously uses a different definition of friendship from everyone else.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back