• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Jason Carter

I watched it last night. You couldn't recognize him under all of the demon makeup...until he spoke. His voice is unmistakable.

What I noticed was when he first appeared the voice was definitely recognizable. Later in the show his accent seemed to change. Unfortunately it was not a very good role for him, but good to "see" him none the less.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Markas:
<font color=yellow>I watched it last night. You couldn't recognize him under all of the demon makeup...until he spoke. His voice is unmistakable.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, it was the voice that identified him. Those glasses were so wrong.

Admiral Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Londos6:
<font color=yellow> Unfortunately it was not a very good role for him, but good to "see" him none the less.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

I disagree. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

It was a guest role, so not too prominently featured.

However, it went against his typecasting (romantic hero), it was memorable, and he didn't get killed off, which means there is at least the possibility of Repo Man reappearing.

Not bad at all, imo...

Ro

What makes one actor's voice distinctive from the next's?! Is it because 1) the actor has a specific voice tone or 2) the actor has a certain level of appeal or 3) both of the aforementioned. I'd say that not only should those two aspects be taken into consideration, but also the very fact whether an actor has good actor's skills and potential for appealling to an audience or not, to eventually be recognized out of a whole population of celebrities. And on the other hand I think personal taste and liking also plays out its own role in this matter.

For example off of the top of my head, I'd recognize the voices of the following sci-fi actors with my eyes closed:

(male)
* Jason Carter
* Peter Woodward
* Patrick Stewart
* Gordon Sumner (let's see whom of you know who this is - and are we noticing a trend? /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif )
* James Morrison
* Gary Cole
* Bruce Boxleitner
* and to a certain extend Ben Browder

(female)
* Claudia Christian
* Marina Sirtis
* Claudia Black
* and to a certain extend Amanda Tapping

It's such a nice concept of doing something somewhere near the television, and suddenly you'd hear one of those recognizable voices, *ping* your ears would go and you'd sprint to the television braking a leg! Or is it just me? /ubbthreads/images/icons/confused.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

<signed Galen>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mageologist:
<font color=yellow>* Gordon Sumner (let's see whom of you know who this is - and are we noticing a trend? /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif )</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Hmm, I've never thought of Sting as a scifi actor but he probably has a few roles under his belt that would qualify as scifi. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif As for the trend - hmm, your top four choices are all British?

As for why some voices are easier to recognize than others - I suppose it can be either of the two: either I really, really like the actor/a particular character and thus sort of "zoom in" to the voice, which helps me to remember and recognize it later (for me, an example would be Andreas Katsulas), or the actor just does have a very distinctive voice (like Alan Rickman - hey, he was in Galaxy Quest thus he definitely qualifies /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif ).

Re: Voice recognition

I think that it is always easiest with the people who have truly very distinctive / unusual voices. How many people do you know who would ever mistake James Earl Jone's voice for anyone else?

Beyond that, I think it has more to do with how much you are exposed to a person's voice than how much you like them. Some people may not like their boss, but anyone who has had the same boss for a relatively long period of time will recognize their voice. Granted, with actors the ones you like tend to be the ones that end up hearing the most often.

I think that it is a combination of timbre and pitch and having learned the details of the individuals vocal mannerisms (inflections and accents). Many people think that Meryl Streep is one of the most talented actors of her generation, but she is not one of the people that you would think of as having a recognizable voice. I think that this is at least partially due to how completely (and consistently) she shifts her vocal patterns and accents for different roles. This makes it more difficult for people to lock onto her particular idiosynchrasies. On the other end of spectrum are some actors whose pitch etc. are not that unusual but whose vocal mannerisms render immediately recognizable by almost everyone in the English speaking world. This would include Jimmy Stewart and Cary Grant.

Daniel Dae Kim (Lt. John Matheson) was on "Angel" again last night. I really like him as the really evil member of the evil law firm - who still works through paperwork and beuracacy .... now he's sinister! /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PillowRock:
<font color=yellow>How many people do you know who would ever mistake James Earl Jone's voice for anyone else?.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

His voice is very distinctive , yes. Will always remember that voice behind the mask of Darth Vader , and also his was the voice used in a spacegame on Play Station I played the other day. Cool! /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

If you're talking about Colony Wars, then no, that isn't James Earl Jones. The game is made by the company formerly known as Psygnosis, based in Liverpool, I think, and I find it doubtful someone like James Earl Jones would fly to england for a videogame voice job. Many people were fooled, but the guy's name (who does the voice) is Burt Caesar or something like that. Look at the credits in the manual. I would check myself, but I keep my game boxes in the trunk of my car and it's raining like mad right now.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dawnchild:
<font color=yellow>His voice is very distinctive , yes. Will always remember that voice behind the mask of Darth Vader </font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
I will always remember:
"This is CNN". /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back