• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Stargate Universe

I think they were using the stones so much primarily to let us get to know the characters personally and quickly, without resorting to endless exposition ("Back at the Air Force Academy I once..." or "My father used to beat me") or Lostbacks. Also, maybe, to offer a little contrast to how dark and spooky the ship is.

Now that our protagonists are all well established, though, they've seriously trimmed down their useage (Excepting this week, of course)

I can't understand how Lt. Scott and company got back to Destiny. I thought the ship had already passed out of the galaxy. :wtf:

I can't understand how Lt. Scott and company got back to Destiny. I thought the ship had already passed out of the galaxy. :wtf:

I think Destiny wasn't necessarily out of range, but the gate doesn't operate while in FTL. When the engine blew, it dropped out of FTL still within range of the gate and the red dot probably popped back up on Eli's remote.

I do like this show a lot. I don't know where it's going, but I like their "more realistic" approach and the great sense of mystery and unknown out there in space.

Yeah the time loop episode was really well done. I guess the thing that I didn't like about the majority of the early eps was the communication stones were used WAY too much, its called Stargate for a reason.

The time loop one was classic sci-fi stuff, and reminiscent of the old TNG ep "Cause and Effect". As such I thought it felt out of place compared to the previous episodes. Of course, plot wise, that one could have been inserted anywhere in the series.

I think Destiny wasn't necessarily out of range, but the gate doesn't operate while in FTL. When the engine blew, it dropped out of FTL still within range of the gate and the red dot probably popped back up on Eli's remote.

I do like this show a lot. I don't know where it's going, but I like their "more realistic" approach and the great sense of mystery and unknown out there in space.

Thats the only thing that makes sense to me as well.

Nah, Stargates have something like a 40,000 lightyear range. Remember, SG1 and SGA teams could literally go ANYWHERE in their respective galaxies more or less instantly. So, if it took the Destiny a couple of years to get through the galaxy, then travelign at the same rate it'd take 'em a couple of years to get out of range of the outermost stargates. Presumably they'll uses some superhypermega stardrive system to trim that down to just a few episodes, however.

A very good cliffhanger season finale, IMHO, although somewhat spoiled by SyFy immediately showing scenes from the upcoming season in October. The music was very B5ish at the end.

The 1st season is now available on Instant for Netflix.... so I was finally able to catch up. I missed the last 3 episodes & had no idea what happened.

Edit... & nevermind. There are 2 volumes to the first season. I have 10 more episodes to go.

Last edited:
So I saw David Blue at Fan Expo in Toronto the past weekend, he was charming, geeky and clearly passionate about the show. Which I like, despite still having reservations over the show. It's just not clicking for me. But it's also the only space-based sci-fi out there right now.

I like the show. I've pretty much liked all the Stargate shows with occasional reservations, and I love that they've managed to reinvent themselves several times.

I liked SGU. I thought the season took a while to get going, but it overcame its obvious derivative nature pretty quickly, and it had a solid run of 10 or 11 very good episodes in there.

I thought they fumbled the ball a bit in the season finale: episode 18 was geeee-rate, episode 19 felt like an intermezzo, and episode 20 felt like...another intermezzo.

I guess this is playing Teusdays now... so yeah, I missed the first episode. I'm off to a great start. Reairs Friday at 11 for those of you still watching.

I thought the first episode of the new season was good. Not great but it kept my interest. I just wish at the end of each episode they would stop the habit of making it like a music video. Just a song from various pop bands and the characters walking around, doing various tasks. No words spoken. I understand what the writers are trying to do but it does not work for me.

So we're about five episodes in, and I thought the "Cloverdale" episode was really good. I loved the editing and the way the whole last act was put together, and the clever little nods in the 'earth dream' stuff. The image of the Stargate as wedding ring was neat, too. Anyone watching the show?

I still watch it every week and sit there wondering why. It just doesn't really capture my interest or imagination, but I keep giving it another chance week in and week out.

I still watch it every week and sit there wondering why. It just doesn't really capture my interest or imagination, but I keep giving it another chance week in and week out.

I'd agree, and yet it grabs me somehow. In my review on my site this week, I said that if it got cancelled, I'd be furious, but I don't know why. I found myself wondering if it were a new standalone show, unrelated to the Stargate franchise, would it be successful? I'm not sure. It wouldn't have the huge built-in audience, of course, but there's still this strange feel to it that isn't really compelling, but does keep me curious.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back