• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Official BSG S3 Spoiler Thread

I think it's different. Sinclair's loop had a clear beginning in the sense that historically, he was born as an individual.

The current understanding of time travel theory states that you cannot effect change in your own timeline, if you use the old cliche of killing your grandfather before your father is born, then such an act would simply prove you were in a parallel universe, you physically couldn't do it in your own timeline because you would eliminate the cause.

You could travel to the past of our own timeline... but you would not alter history, any contribution you made would merely create the present we live in today.

If BSG did the time loop thing it would be fundamentally flawed. Where would humanity start? If the colonials are descended from the future citizens of Earth who travel back in time... and the 13th tribe (and Galactica survivors) are descended from the colonials... then there is a problem because there would be no origin for the human race.

That is the difference. Although Sinclair's eventual fate in the distant past contributes to his personal past... it does not create it. Sinclair is born independently of the events that he directly affects. If you want to stick with the hard science route, you can also explain the visions and the transmissions in Sector 14 as being picked up from a timeline in a parallel dimension.... so although the characters from our perspective perceived a threat (due to witnessing events in a parallel timeline that they equated with a possible future for themselves), there never actually was one because Sinclair (as he said in his own words) always went back.

I read a couple of novels set in 1st century Israel (no, they didn't do the obvious thing and centre the plot around the nativity or crucifixion) that explained it really well (after the headache subsided).

Last edited:
I agree with Recoil, it would be quite a bit of a "been there, done that, get your own freaking idea".

Starbuck, seems too obvious a choice to be the Cylon, we seem to be, being led by the nose to that conclusion. Therefore, I think she's either the death, or the one who gets to Earth (The arrow, the painting).

Brother C didn't say D'Anna was being killed, he only said she was being boxed up and put in cold storage. I assume that means whenever someone decides to forgive her, they can just turn her back on, so, I can't really accept that as a death, if the word "death" was actually used.

Thinking out of the box, I wonder if Sam could be the Cylon D'Anna apologized to of the final 5. He was involved in the resistance, and she did treat him badly down in the garage.

I don't know if it was a true spoiler or just a rumor, but back before the season began, I read about one of the characters that was said to be going to die this season. It hasn't happened yet, so I've just been assuming what I read was wrong.

Spoiler for the above-mentioned potential season three character death :
The name I read back before the season began of a character that was going to die is Dee. I first expected her to die when the Pegasus was destroyed, but that didn't happen. I then expected her to die saving Starbuck, but that didn't happen either. So, I've been left thinking what I read was just in error.

So we are discounting the possibility that scale of the loop referred to in the "all happened before and will happen again" routines is all the way out at Big Bang level?

I have been wondering if that's where they're headed. That would be a matter of every cycle of Big Bang - expanding universe - contracting universe - Big Bang would be so identical that every bit of human evolution and history had gone precisely the same way after each Big Bang. Then the prophesies come from some sort of Karmic race memory across Big Bang cycle boundaries.

Just a thought.

That new spoiler box is cool.

So if B5 does it, it's good, but if BSG does it, it's wacky time-traveling nonesense?

It was wacky nonsense in B5, too, IMO. It was just executed with a lot of style and almost as logically as possible. When the secret of Valen was revealed, it felt as if everything fell into place. I just don't see that happening in BSG. As of now, it looks more on track to be X-Files than B5.

I tend to agree with GKE, and some of Ron D Moore's comments back this up. I hope by now he has a clear idea of how to wind things up in the long run. Both the X files and B5 worked by keeping you hooked by dangling new plot points in front of you, but in the end, only one delivered, because it was all mapped out before hand...

That said, I still love Galactica, just for the look, the feel, the dialogue and the actors. I'm only on season 3 ep 3 (but i do read spoliers...) but its been a superb ride so far.

I do hope the ending delivers. I also hope sci-fi at least give them advance warning of cancelation, if and when it happens, so the whole thing can be wrapped up. No horrible Farscape dangler please!!!

I think the character who died already died (Deanna.) She's probably getting more mula than most of the rest of the cast anyway, so now her being gone has freed up some mula. =D

Sindatur, I also wonder if it's Anders. Just a hunch, and the fact that he's the only human I can think of who we saw Deanna directly interact with in a negative way (that would cause her to offer an apology.) "Forgive me, I didn't know."

Hopefully the show makes a graceful exit before it needs to be cancelled.

I rather enjoyed this episode, now that I've had a month to realize the show just isn't what it used to be, and enjoy it on its own merits. My boyfriend has stopped watching and isn't interested anymore, because, as he says, it no longer feels like you're watching something that could actually happen. It's getting a bit fantastical, in other words. Obviously, for a bunch of sci fi nerds, that's ok, but this show seemed to start out on a believably real foot and progressed to more and more sci fi type stuff.

It doesn't have the same "pull" for me as it did the first 1.5 seasons but it's still quite watchable and I will continue devoting hard drive space for my tuner to record it.

I think the character who died already died (Deanna.) She's probably getting more mula than most of the rest of the cast anyway, so now her being gone has freed up some mula. =D

I agree, she seems to fit the bill, but, if the actual word "Death" is used, there is a loop hole, as she only seems to be "Mothballed" and not dead, and can be reactivated at anytime. Brother C, made a specific point of saying "boxed up and on ice", not something like "Ending your life". So, yea, it probably is her, but, if it is her, I think it's a cheat by those releasing the spoilers, promos, etc, because it doesn't seem she's actually dead.

Any chance of separating threads discussing "Spoilers for aired (in the US) episodes" and "Spoilers"?

This had been chugging along nicely in the former mode, but seems to have started to veer toward the latter.

I think being "boxed" is as good as dead for any cylon, but that's just me. Then again, I did hear a rumor that someone listed in the opening credits would no longer be listed on the last show of the season (hinting at a death.) So, we'll see.

I never trust rumors, even if the eventual source seems to come from the network or from the writers. I never really watched the show, but there was a huge rumor around SG1 a couple seasons ago, that General Hammond was going to be leaving the series and killed off. Apparently the spoilers came from the show runners at the time. Turned out to be false. He did end up leaving the series, but they didn't kill him off --- but they put him in a position where you would think "ok, yep, hes a dead man" after hearing that rumor.

I think the term JMS used most was....red herring?

So I wouldn't consider much of anything a true spoiler unless its on camera and someone has seen it...

I think being "boxed" is as good as dead for any cylon, but that's just me. Then again, I did hear a rumor that someone listed in the opening credits would no longer be listed on the last show of the season (hinting at a death.) So, we'll see.

Helo? Is it Helo? Oh god please let it be Helo.

I'm not sure it has. There has been a couple "rumors" but that's far from being fact.
We're not talking about speculation.

The fact that we're talking about a "leak" that hasn't been verified is still well beyond my taste for spoilers. But then I'm the kind of spoiler-phobe that avoids the next-week-on promos.

But then I'm the kind of spoiler-phobe that avoids the next-week-on promos.

Actually I avoid those as well, mainly because the morons that put them together do a great job at spoiling a lot of key things in the episode just to make sure to "grab" you into watching it.

Frankly, you will get spoiled more by watching the next week promos than listening to "leaked" spoilers. Leaked things rarely pan out to be true.

God, speaking of episodes' trailers, until season 5, I never remember seeing the ones for Babylon 5, but with the DVDs, you can (they're the litte + sign beside each individual episode in the discs' menus). God were they horrible!!

Back