• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Official BSG S3 Spoiler Thread

I agree, too that this episode wasn't as big as last week. However, would last week have been as big an episode if we'd only seen half of it? (This week's episode was billed as Part 1 of 2), So really, we need to see the coming episode and consider it part of the previous episode in order to compare the premiere to it.

Ellen did get caught, we saw more of the seeming to come fracturing of the Cylons, and we saw the President is OK, so, all in all, not too bad for a second episode, considering we only saw half of it.

So am I the only one that thought that the beginning of this episode and the end of the 1st one didn't match up? At the end of the first episode we saw Callie running and then heard gunfire for a few seconds while she was running. At the beginning of this episode the gun fire didn't start until right as she was being tackled be the chief.

Also when the chief and his riflemen look at the approaching centurions to the centurions' left, and Callie is pushed down into the valley to the centurions' right yet we are then stuck with the dilemma of Callie being between the riflemen and the centurions, but wasn't she on the other side of them?

I thought the same thing on both counts, but the one that REALLY stood out was the first point. To me that was done very sloppily. I HATE it when shows leave you with a supposed cliffhanger episode, then the very next one they show you "well, it was never even like that."

I thought the same thing on both counts, but the one that REALLY stood out was the first point. To me that was done very sloppily. I HATE it when shows leave you with a supposed cliffhanger episode, then the very next one they show you "well, it was never even like that."

Hey don't diss Flash Gordon, man ... :p

Come on, did anyone actually think those three major characters would be killed? Seems to me they just figured, "Look, y'all know they're gonna be fine, so let's see how that happened." At least this way the Big Rescue was explained and reasonable as opposed to the typical "wow where did they come from?!" last second rescue.

No, I didn't expect them to actually be killed off, but the buy-back was still weaker than I was expecting. I honestly was thinking something more along the lines of the cylons faking the execution, Cally hearing the bullets go off thinking they were all killed and going back to town and telling everyone what she heard, everyone thinking they were dead, but in reality the cylons locking them all up in some secret isolated detention facility.

I was thinking that maybe Tom Zarek was dead and he shielded the Pres to keep her alive, although wounded, and that the rest were dead. Either way, yes, the fact that we literally saw two completely different things really weakened things IMO. Cally running in the WOODS and hearing gunfire, then we see Cally running on OPEN GROUND on a hill, being tackled by the Cheif, THEN hearing gunfire.

I guess its because Im not used to seeing that kind of sloppiness from BSG. Oh well, its over.

OK So what did you all think of the "final part" of the Season premier? (which is how I viewed these last 4 episodes, all as one)

On the upside, there was a lot going on. I like Lee's taking the Pegasus in to save the day. I had a feeling that sooner or later they would have to write that ship out of things. At first my impression is that it was kind of silly. He could have saved the Galactica and just jumped away again to safety, but then I suppose they needed to take out those other two Basestars to ensure all the civvy ships got away. Still, losing the firepower of a second battlestar was a huge loss for the home team, but given it was done to save the imprisoned remaining human race, it was a noble sacrifice. I liked Lee's comment "Thank You" to his ship as he left the bridge for the last time.

There was lots of good action in this episode too. But there were a few down sides to it IMO.

First, Tigh killing his wife. I still dont understand why he did that. They knew the Galactica was moments away from making a rescue attempt. Why not bring her along and put her on trial if they make it off the ground? Just seemed like a weird decision for him to feel he HAD to kill her. It was a moving scene I suppose, but I dont know why it was done.

Also I think we all knew that the adopted mother of the human-cylon baby wasn't going to make it off the ground. So I guess that wasn't a terribly surprising twist for me.

What was a neat twist was Starbuck going back for her baby, only to find out on the Galactica that it wasn't hers, it never was, but belonged to someone else. She got used and abused. I thought that was a nice move by the writers.

Also, in the last few episodes they have been having that almost Scottish background score in the show, which I think was very well done and added a lot of emotion to certain scenes on the ships. Did anyone else here think back to B5:In The Begining with Londos speech about the humans last part of the Earth Minbari War? Clearly it wasn't the same score, and wasn't a "rip off" of it, but both seemed to have that Scottish feel and both worked very well for where they were used.

Anyway, I like how they wrapped up the 4-part premier and its good to see them back on their way again. There are a lot of plot threads to work with now, and lots of pieces to be picked up.

Lastly, so Baltar is with the Cylons now and no longer with the fleet eh? Kind of flashes back to the original BSG series where he always was travelling with the Cylons. Just another small parallel that I took away from the show.

I think its going to be another good season.

What was a neat twist was Starbuck going back for her baby, only to find out on the Galactica that it wasn't hers, it never was, but belonged to someone else. She got used and abused. I thought that was a nice move by the writers.

I agree; Starbuck's part in this episode was perhaps my favorite part. I hadn't been all that thrilled with her story in the several episodes prior, but I think they did both resolving of Leoben being told "I love you" and the resolving of Casey well. Out of all the possible outcomes, I think Leoben totally and completely manipulating and coercing what he wanted out of Starbuck under threat of keeping Casey from Starbuck was good. It kept Leoben being a manipulative bastard, which is what he's been from the beginning of the show. And then Casey being a full human was the best way to make Starbucks emotions conflicted over the other options for Casey's character (that she really was a full Cylon, or really was a half-and-half, or her dying in the attack, or something else like that).

With the exception of the first episodes with the Pegasus, they've always used a score with a celtic hint to it.

I think these episodes did a great job of setting up the rest of the season. Starbuck having to deal with the incredible mind fuck she has just been dealt, Tigh having to live with killing his wife.....just great. I'm really curious as to whether or not they space Gaeta in the rush to get the collaborators. I totally can see Jammer getting away with his actions. Plus, there's the whole part about Zarek techniclly being the President of the Colonies.

Technically Baltar is still president ... Zarek was vice president and deposed by Baltars rule. Though suppose the colonies will depose Balatar, and put Roslin back in.

Had to figure pegasus was going sooner or later, though threw me for loop when they put Lee in charge figure it last for a bit longer. Wonder if the galatica can handle both fighter compliments of the Pegasus and Galatica. Wonder if galatica Boomer will confront Adama about the possbility her daughter still alive.

Wonder if galatica Boomer will confront Adama about the possbility her daughter still alive.

See, this is something they have set up for my eventual disappointment. Yea, I think its clear they intend to have Sharon find out --- probably after she becomes super good-guy Sharon --- and finding out will probably have her turn on Adama and the rest of the fleet. That is how I imagine they will write it, but I just don't buy it.

Yes, Adama lied to her --- BEFORE he knew he could trust her. She and Adama were away from New Caprica for so long, I am sure the baby is the farthest thing from his mind, and it probably hasn't occurred for him to tell her. In reality if she does find out, he could very well be justified in saying "it was the right decision then, and I didn't know the baby was still alive/lost now" and I could see her believing it.

But I dont think they will do it that way. This one, I think they are going to go the predictable route. We will see though.

I thought it was a great moment when Galactica was falling through the atmosphere of New Caprica before jumping out. Not your typical sci fi battle tactic, eh?

When Starbuck found out Kaycee was just a mindfuck by Leoben and wasn't her baby at all, my boyfriend laughed and said that was a great OMGWTF!! moment. I loved watching all those emotions flickering across her face. Great acting, great writing, great story, no wonder I love this show to death.

That episode rocked. I realize some of it was highly predictable, but I don't care! Pegasus...

BOOM

big boom

/sigh

I think Admiral Caine would have approved

sod admiral cain, i think lloyd bridges would have approved it reminded me so much of when commander cain took the pegasus up against the 3 basestars in the old show. the episode was frakking great, though i am a bit miffed, i always thought ellen was a cylon, but to bring her back now would cheapen the death scene beyond belief.

is it just me or is the music they use in a lot of the episodes very similar to some of the stuff from B5 they both use a lot celtic songs, especially during in the beginning.

no sorry, i didn't fully read it through, but i saw it about ten minutes later, honestly i'm just glad i'm not the only one who spotted it, but i think there other similarities between in the beginning and BSG such as the general hopelessness punctuated with brief moments of triumph.

Im sure there are several parallels, but I doubt that any of them are intentional. Its probably coinsidence, and the fact that in ways, they are telling a similar story. In that case there are many shows with parallels.

Back