• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Crusade now showing on Scifi

Ivanova

Beyond the rim
Now that Crusade has started on Scifi (the first day was Monday, April 9th) what do you think about it?

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

It just doesn't hold up to B5. I'm not a great fan of the actor playing the Captain. I would rather have seen an unknown come in. The Corporate representative is downright irritating. In the interest of fairness, however, I do like Galen and Dureena (sp?). They also seemed to stray a bit much from their mission, and there just wasn't a sense of urgency. My biggest complaint, however, is that it seemed to be more of an episodic show than the series drama that I came to love. You could watch the episodes out of order and not miss much. I know many might not agree, but opinions are like smileys. Everybodys got one!
smile.gif

------------------
Nice shark, pretty shark.....

[This message has been edited by cange1701 (edited April 11, 2001).]

Cange,

I'm getting that episodic feeling as well. *S* Oh, Galen and Dureena are great. Especially Galen...he's such a Mage. He has a lovely personality. He (and Dureena) are the reasons that I am sad that he show did not last that long.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

Hey, but don't forget that the eps shot, were really only the lead ins...the *arc*, although not so tight as B5, hadn't even started.

Yes, I can see how these few eps could be almost stand alone eps. But they do develope the characters well!
smile.gif

I think the relationships between Galen and Dureena, and Galen and Gideon could have been really interesting to watch!

------------------
"We live for the One...We die for the One"

I like Dureena but I wasn't to happy with Galen.

His performance seemed more appropriate to a Shakespearean drama rather than a modern sci-fi program, and the whole concept of super-science as "magic" always bugged me. Not so much that a science that far advanced could exist, but that it's practictioners would encourage it's perception as magic, and that science is something to be possessed by on people or culture. It goes against every principle of furthering scientific research.

------------------

On the contrary, Galen added a sense of necessary drama and *gravitas* to the proceedings, fulfilling much the same task as G'Kar in the original series, or Liam Neeson in "The Phantom Menace." He certainly helps to add pathos to the flow of the story, all the more so now that the new novels are being written.

------------------

"The Needs of Earth" was definitely up there with some of the best JMS, but "The Long Road" didn't do much to impress me. I watched the first 5 or so episodes when it first came on TNT, but never got back into it after I moved during the initial broadcast. So far though, the order Sci-Fi is showing it in is MUCH better than the TNT ordering, despite the uniform discontinuity. Anyone know why the Excalibur crew is wearing a different uniform from the rest of Earthforce BTW? I like the black jumpsuits, but those grey ones are just terrible. They definitely should've stuck with the established EF uniforms when the alternative was those horrible grey ones.
------------------
The innocent lie because they don't want to be blamed for something they didn't do and the guilty lie because they don't have any other choice.

[This message has been edited by Ranger One (edited April 15, 2001).]

Ranger One - Yes ... There is a "standard" EarthForce uniform. But these are military people ... Most of them, anyway. We've already seen in the B5 series that there are several different uniforms, depending on the department/station, etc. Example: Security wore Grey ... GROPOS wore green. General Franklin wore that goddess-aweful brown. Franklin wore, well, whatever he wanted to.

And that's all on one station. There may be many variations on uniforms out there. I know just in the US military, there are hundreds of uniform variations, all of them "standard uniforms."

And no, I'm not part of the military. I just like watching the cute guys
smile.gif

------------------
"Hello. I want to welcome back our viewers. We've been gone a long time."

Back