• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The No Speculation Thread - News Posts Only Please

Re: Film Jerk talks of re-casting, and more about

Those of you with long B5 memories will recall that WB asked JMS about a B5 feature film a good many years ago, they wanted to re-cast all the roles and JMS quite rightly told them to go jump. With this in mind, surely JMS would have sorted out the casting issue FAR earlier in the film process, not whilst pre-preduction had started? I'm going to make the assumption that JMS would never go ago along with a re-cast B5 movie and would rather walk out. I guess it's possible that WB is reneging on some earlier promise not to re-cast.

Have you seen the recent JMS post about the commentary on Crusade DVD set? Where he was told by WB he could relate the TNT/Crusade story, and then they edited that piece out of the commentary?

Are you suggesting they'll film TMoS with the old cast, and then CGI them out with Hollywood stars? :p

Just to state for the record, this thread is the The No Speculation Thread - News Posts Only Please thread. It's intent is not for discussion but just to list news and facts only.

There is a seperate Latest Speculation thread for miscellaneous discussion of the news articles posted in this thread.

Newsonly: Policy suggestion

Policy suggestion:
<ul type="square">[*] All news post subject lines should start with "Newsonly:", so that those who click inn directly are aware that we're in this thread, and don't respond here.
[*] All news posts should include a link to a new or existing thread for follow-up discussion. Or say "If you want to reply to this, start a new thread in xxxxx.". (The edit button is your friend.)
[*] If the author fails to include a link for follow-up, the first response should inklude that link.
[*] Only news posts in this thread (as said in the very first post). What is news will have to be up to your discretion. Is it something that not only regular users, but also busy people who drop by, would want to know about B5?
[*] Sources: In this situation even rumors goes as news. Ideally, primary sources and respected sources. Again, your discretion.
[*] Retractions, or contrary information, to a story should be posted in the same thread and just as prominently. (If the edit period hasn't lapsed, edit the post.)
[/list]
Follow-up: Obligatory "News posts only" policy thread

Re: Newsonly: Hollywood North Report

Notice the last line after all descriptions: Star Name Only - Lead.

It still kills me that they're going to recast Galen. Of all the Crusade characters, he seems the most real to me. We only saw him in a half dozen episodes, but it feels like infinitely more. Oh well.

Re: Newsonly: JMS \"Can\'t Comment\" Comment

JMS has replied to one of the TMoS threads, saying:

I would like to be able to comment on this, but for the time being I am not able to do so.
Not sure how newsworthy that is, but I know some people were commenting that he seemed to be deliberately ignoring the topic. So there ya go.

He's certainly not telling the fans to stop getting excited about the rumours. He is not prevented from saying something vague like that.

Sounds like JMS confirming rumors without technically saying so. :(

Oh, there are soo many different ways to read a Vorlon. Actually, JMS makes a Vorlon seem straightforward. :p

The oddness of the rumoured casting problems on B5: TMoS caused me to look into UK tax rules for films. They have been deliberately written to produce jobs for British actors and technicians.

(The problem may not be that the suits want name actors but that the tax accountants want British actors.)

TAX RELIEF FOR THE PRODUCTION OF LOW BUDGET BRITISH FILMS

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/ctsa/tax-relief-films.pdf

Low is less than 20 million pounds

The UK Government’s definition of a British film.
http://www.culture.gov.uk/creative_industries/film/CriteriaforBritishfilms.htm

One rule of which says
iii) THE LABOUR COSTS TEST
(a) 70% of the total labour cost (minus - if desired - the cost of one person whose nationality must be non-Commonwealth/EU/EEA/Association Agreement country) must have been paid to citizens or ordinary residents of the Commonwealth, EU/EEA or a country with which the European Community has signed an Association Agreement*; or

Some UK tax rules that actors, technicians and their accountants may wish to check.
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/index.htm

Follow-up to: Follow-up

Check out Peter's site and you should see why Galen is probably being recast. He has his own film project which overlaps.

http://www.peterwoodward.com/

Unfortunately movies don't hang about for actors. If they arn't available then they can't do it...

Adam

But it ain't just Peter. Galen is the only part being publically announced for casting. In private, Warners are seriously considering recasting all the cast for big names! Even if they only play supporting roles...

Newsonly: JMS comments on TMoS, Crusade DVD

JMS has made another usenet post, relevant parts follow:
I know I've been hunkered down a bit of late, and there have been very good reasons for it...which someday I suspect I will be able to tell, perhaps in the form of another fairy tale....

So in the interim, a quick roundup.

I'd say that the next two weeks are going to be critical for the future of TMoS.  There have been a variety of conversations about a variety of things and people, and some offers are starting to go out to various individuals...so we shall see what we shall see.

On the subject of the Crusade DVD commentary...I see another fairy tale looming in the future...WB has agreed, after quite a bit of noise, to remove the commentary that I did from all future pressings of the set, since that was the deal that we had made: use it all, including the explanation of what happened, or use none of it.  So those of you who have your DVDs now, and for the next
bit, will have that commentary.  Those afterward won't.  I don't know when the next pressing will be, but whenever that is, is when the change takes place.

AOL as some have noted is closing down its newsgroup system, so I'm going to have to retrench.  Consequently, I may be offline for a bit...though I'll likely be off regardless for the next bit while the dust settles on TMoS.
TMoS Follow-up discussion: A Call to Arms: Fighting for the original cast
Crusade DVD Follow-up discussion: Poll: What about the Crusade DVDs?

Back