• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Sheridan and Oranges

I was rewatching The Geomtry Of Shadows today and I have wondered why JMS had Sheidan so obessed with oranges every five minutes it seems he was talking of oranges and smiling .On the same ep I love Micheal Ansara portrayal of Elric .

JMS set up the portrayal of Sheridan that way. Have him come in being all food obsessed and smiling, cause he knew the guy was going to take a turn into some dark places and wanted to show the difference.

I guess it worked, because you noticed.

I really liked his good nature. He was much more cheerful compared to Sinclair. And Sheridan seemed much more like "just a guy" compared to Sinclair, too. Sinclair had that "time he didn't remember" so there was something shadey going on. Gideon has the same thing, too, now that I think about it. The Apocalypse Box. Scary thing.

With the oranges...I wasn't really sure. *needs to look that up* I really liked the orange blossom, though. That was nice.

I really liked the orange blossom, though. That was nice.
Unfortunately as those of us who live in Florida can tell you, that is not what an orange blossom looks like. I remark on it every time I watch that episode. Maybe Elric had never actually seen one?

Not reading up on plants... would be a horrible embarrasment for a technomage! :eek:

Or... it could have been some genetically engineered orange-of-the-future, different from contemporary ones.

I really liked the orange blossom, though. That was nice.
Unfortunately as those of us who live in Florida can tell you, that is not what an orange blossom looks like. I remark on it every time I watch that episode. Maybe Elric had never actually seen one?

Yeah, exactly. That was one steroid-enhanced orange blossom. I suspect it was cut out of paper from someone down in the prop department.

Unfortunately as those of us who live in Florida can tell you, that is not what an orange blossom looks like.
Sheridan was from California, so it is a California orange blossom, not a florida orange blossom.

(let's see how long I can get away with THAT explanation)

I had the impression that while Sheridan was an Earther alright... he was not from California.

In fact, I suspect having heard his parents mentioned in close proximity to something like Minnesota...

...although it might have indicated current location as opposed to origin.

And his father's job was mainly in Geneva. I could be wrong, though...

Unfortunately as those of us who live in Florida can tell you, that is not what an orange blossom looks like.
Sheridan was from California, so it is a California orange blossom, not a florida orange blossom.

Perhaps a descendant of Governor Ah-nold pumped his orange grove up with steroids or something like that. :LOL:

Dunno where Sheridan was from, but he says in TGoS that
"When I was twelve, I used to sit in my dad's garden, the air full of the smell of orange blossoms, watching the sky, dreaming of far away places...

Since he didn't say "I used to sit in my dad's garden sweating like crazy..." I assumed he meant California and not Florida! :D

Perhaps. But I'm thinking about to the ep in fourth season where Sheridan was supposed to rescue his father, but got captured instead. Wasn't he in Chicago to meet Garibaldi? Maybe that's just where his father settled down.

Perhaps. But I'm thinking about to the ep in fourth season where Sheridan was supposed to rescue his father, but got captured instead. Wasn't he in Chicago to meet Garibaldi? Maybe that's just where his father settled down.
Sheridan's father was caught "in a safe house just outside Chicago" but was transferred to Mars (for reasons unexplained) - when Garibaldi talks to Sheridan face to face he says Sheridan's father is being held "at a facility here on Mars."

Illinois would make sense for the Sheridan pere retirement home - he mentions "problems with the corn" in his talk with Captain Sheridan in SD.

None of that gives any clue to do with where Sheridan was when he was smelling Orange blossoms as a boy of twelve, unfortunately.

Ooh! Okay!! Thank you for clarifying that. I just always assumed Sheridan was from there. But of course, his father was a diplomat, so...*shrugs* *L*

Yes, Sheridan was a diplomat's child, so they moved around quite a bit. Round about his 18th birthday he was in a position to go visit the Dalai Lama. Now unless there are orange blossoms in India/Tibet (depending on whether or not the Tibetans have gotten loose from China at that point), Sheridan's family must have been a bit mobile.

And David Sheridan's comment about "people here like us, Lord knows why" seems to indicate to me that the elder Sheridans are not native to that area, but are recent, if welcome, arrivals.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back