• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Peter Jackson dropped from the Hobbit...

Another shitty studio Money < Common sense decision....

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=38958

Jackson Dropped From The Hobbit

Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson and his partner, Fran Walsh, won't be tackling a film version of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit or a second proposed Rings prequel film now that New Line has told them the studio will be seeking another director, Jackson and Walsh told fans on the OneRing.net Web site. Jackson said that New Line producer Mark Ordesky told Jackson's manager, Ken Kamins, that the studio was moving ahead with the project without Jackson and Walsh because the pair declined to agree to do The Hobbit as a condition of settling a lawsuit against New Line to recoup income from the Rings films.

"We have always said that we do not want to discuss The Hobbit with New Line until the lawsuit over New Line's accounting practices is resolved," Jackson and Walsh wrote. But Michael Lynne, co-president of New Line Cinema, insisted that Jackson and Walsh commit to the project before the studio would settle the suit. When Jackson and Walsh declined, "Mark Ordesky called Ken and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on The Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel,'" Jackson and Walsh wrote. "This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects."

Jackson and Walsh added: "Given that New Line are committed to this course of action, we felt at the very least, we owed you, the fans, a straightforward account of events as they have unfolded for us. ... This outcome is not what we anticipated or wanted, but neither do we see any positive value in bitterness and rancor. We now have no choice but to let the idea of a film of The Hobbit go and move forward with other projects." Those include a film version of Alice Sebold's supernatural novel The Lovely Bones.

New Line would no longer be requiring our services on The Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel,'" Jackson and Walsh wrote. "This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects."

What's this prequel? I've only heard things about 'The Hobbit'.

Did Jackson not state that he wasn't going to do The Hobbit just after LOTR?

Never heard of a prequel either.I reckon they are just after a bit of cheap publicity.

While New Line currently has the rights to produce The Hobbit, MGM holds the rights to distribute it, and going off of what's in this article from Variety, MGM isn't all that happy with this news about New Line.

All of this has riled MGM, which in recent weeks has been openly touting the fact that the newly revamped studio is serious about making "The Hobbit" -- with Jackson.

An MGM spokesman said that "the matter of Peter Jackson directing 'The Hobbit' films is far from closed."

From the rest of the article, it seems that New Line is quickly approaching the expiration of its rights to produce The Hobbit, and since Jackson's lawsuit with New Line isn't going to be resolved before their rights to produce expire, they're booting Jackson from the film.

who cares Jackson is horrifically overrated, and the rings movies will never stand against the majesty that is the books, really return of the king was the only film that even approached being adequate. i would hate to see any tackle the Hobbit, for the same damnable reasons.

I don't think making movies of LOTR was a particularily easy task.

That doesn't change the fact though that the trilogy is just horribly BORING. Other work of Jackson's that I've seen bits and pieces of hasn't seemed any more thrilling.

But, from a business standpoint, it does sound like a poor choice. They DID make loads of money on LOTR ...

Boring eh? Have you ever READ those books? They are dreadfully boring! Lots of stuff going on in between with a few battles here and there. The battle of Helms Deep was like 3 pages in the books, and was the entire END of the second movie. He acutally did a lot to make them less boring for the big screen. I think he did a great job. They certainly weren't non-stop action, especially the Extended editions, but he took the very very very long epic and made it into something watchable.

Dont get me wrong, the books are great, but they are dull in lots of places and very long. Thats not what their appeal was though...

Boring eh? Have you ever READ those books? They are dreadfully boring! Lots of stuff going on in between with a few battles here and there. The battle of Helms Deep was like 3 pages in the books, and was the entire END of the second movie.

Exactly. It's the battle scenes, and the completely pointless length of them, which made the movie so painful for me. I'm just not a fan of grand battles if there's nothing fun about them.

And an hour for something that was on three pages is .. diluted. At least it felt like that for me.

And I've read the books .. to some degree. I quit in the middle of the Two Towers, for reasons not connected to the book. I had some super-LOTR-geek classmates at the time, that asked me every single bloody day .. "so, how much did you read? WHAT?? SO LITTLE???" .. EVERY. FUCKING. DAY.

It bugged me so much, it took all the fun out of reading the books - telling them to fuck off by quitting them was more fun than the books were at that point :D .. planned to continue reading them at some point in the future, but have yet to get to that.

Ooh, are we gonna devolve into another LOTR argument- books/movies, books vs movies, etc?

Look, the books aren't written as 3 logical, streamlined, well-paced novels. It's just a set of fairy tales. Beautifully written, imaginative fairy tales that ultimately mean nothing and, if done "faithfully," would make one hell of a boring trilogy of movies. Because, you know, Tom freakin-Bombadil would've made an AWESOME piece of cinema. :rolleyes:

A hobbit movie is pointless. Leave the franchise alone, let's not Lucas this shit to death.

Speaking of looking like hobbits, I encountered the funniest little drunk at this bar I was at: he and another loser friend were hanging out with these two mediocre chicks and he was just stumbling around vaguely annoying people and being jealous of the blonde everytime she danced with her friend with the gnarly teeth or asked me to buy her a drink. I almost threw a dart in his face by accident (heh) and he and his friend eventually got kicked out (the friend had his pants down for some reason at the time). After I started referring to that chubby, awkwardly-bearded inebbriated near-dwarf as "Bilbo Baggins," the company I was with just lost it, and then he tried to beat me up but hit the jukebox instead because he probably couldn't see straight and at least that was his height.
Heh-heh... silly hobbits

That's Tolkien. He gives us 8 pages of how dark and deep the charms of Khazad'Dum are, then 3 sentences dedicated to Gandalf's face off. Haha.

I have huge reservations now, truth be told. If New Line had the sense God gave a mule, they would make this crap WORK and get Jackson on board. If not for him, LOTR could have been a disaster.

I'm ambivalent.

I love the books, and I think the movies got progressively worse. (Of course, the part of the last one that I liked the best was the much-maligned ending with its three dozen blackouts.) So on the whole, I feel Jackson went for spectacle at the expense of sense or story time and again, and I think he would not be an ideal choice to direct The Hobbit, which is all about character development.

From prior posts on this board, others would clearly disagree.

Of course, if they get someone even worse (the director of Top Gun is apparently in the running) then yes, this is a bad call. Also, the rumor is that Ian McKellen might not take this news well, and refuse to reprise as Gandalf, which would be a true tragedy. He was perfect as Gandalf in the first movie, and he'd probably be even better in The Hobbit.

Chilli, I used to be one of those annoying geeks who continually pestered my buddies. Fortunately, my buddies were also geeks, just slower readers. The hardest lesson for any enthusiast to learn is where the line is between infectious enthusiasm and repellent fanatacism.

The books are written in a particular style, that of a chronicle, which does not translate well to some modern audiences for either literature, and it structually not suited to cinmea at all. it was never meant to be either.

Jackson took the content, what he considered to be the key thematic and plot elements, fleshed out some of the characters and did in my opinion avery good job.

i'd still hate to see anyone else working on that IP in film form in any way though.

I think the 'prequel' would fill in some of the gaps between the Hobbit and LOTR, stuff that is explained at the White Council meeting and in the appendicies...

Oh, there's no doubt in my mind that Jackson did a very good job. But to my mind he lost a lot of credibility when he a) destroyed the character of Denethor and b) had Gollum succeed in driving a wedge between Sam and Frodo. He messed up some great characters just to increase the tension, when there was really no need at all.

Other than those two cardinal sins, his other transgressions were fairly forgiveable. I think he missed a trick or two -- the battle in front of Minas Tirith could have been done beautifully in the dark, as it was supposed to be -- but by and large he did very well. Except with Denethor and Frodo.

I'm taking a whole semester on Tolkien in the spring. Looking forward to it! Pre-resequite was Medieval lit. Looks totally fascinating!

b) had Gollum succeed in driving a wedge between Sam and Frodo. He messed up some great characters just to increase the tension, when there was really no need at all.

That whole plot line would not have translated well from book to screen otherwise.

And an hour for something that was on three pages is .. diluted. At least it felt like that for me.
Well, on the "felt that way to me" bit: Fair enough.

However, at the risk of sounding extremely obvious, the written word and showing things on film are very different mediums. Some things that a writer spends *pages* on, you know will always end up as only a few seconds on film. Other things that take up very little space on the page just always will take quite a bit more time to actually see play out.

Helm's Deep falls into this latter category. No matter who directed it on film, that few pages *was* going to take up <u>much</u> more time than its relative number of words / pages would indicate. You can describe a growing sense of dread or doom at seeing a huge army advance toward you in a sentence or two. However, to *show* it, you have to take a fair percentage of the amount of time that it would actually take an army to march across that open plain. You can say in writing that the defenders were slowly, but inexoribly pushed back until they held only the keep in one or two sentences (in fact, you kinda *have* to when writing it, otherwise it gets repetitive). However, to match that description on film, it has to actually *be* done slowly; otherwise it feels like a quick route rather than the stubbornly contested fight to the death that the author described.

Back