• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Falling Skies - Starts tonight on TNT

I really enjoyed it, it hit alot of the right marks for a Pilot.

Many SciFi shows, spend so long building up their characters and their Universe elements, and today's audience gets quickly bored and moves on, and the show is cancelled before it gets a chance to really hit it's stride.

I respect the decision TNT made on this, to start it after the Aliens had already invaded and were in control. So, you're already in the heart of the action from the first frame. Truth be told, I think I might've liked a little build up, or at least a narrative over the opening credits sequence, something like "6 Months ago, they came. Why we don't know yet, but, they..." However, I think it was a wise decision to start the series in the midst of it, might be a really good way not to bleed viewers quickly.

At first, I was a bit nervous, when they kept advertising Noah Wyle as the Lead, thinking, although, I like him alot, I don't really think he's capable of carrying an Action Series as it's lead, maybe a Sitcom as a Cliff Huxtable type father. Turns out, it's a true ensemble cast, without a single lead, so that's good.

There's an Anti-Hero in the vein of Sawyer from LOST, or Baltar from NuBSG or Dr. Rush from SGU. Very well cast, I was very impressed with Colin Cunningham's portrayal of this character, he was a favorite for me. Also very impressive is the Grizzled Military Leader, very reminiscint of Sol Tighe from NuBSG, but, in control, not the really fracked up, lacking confidence drunk Tigh was most of the time on NuBSG.

Lots of realism with the unkempt streets and landscapes, real problems like a young boy whose feelings are hurt because military manuevers will screw over his birthday.

I'll definitely continue watching.

Sounds good. I heard about this show when I said that I think if there was a TV show where the story was humanity fighting off an alien invasion done well then it would probably be my favourite TV show (I'd been bitching about how terrible V was). Then a friend pointed this out to me.

I watched the pilot too. I thought it was pretty good. The story looks interesting. I'm curious to see how things will go when I start watching the episodes.

I watched the pilot too. I thought it was pretty good. The story looks interesting. I'm curious to see how things will go when I start watching the episodes.
The Pilot that aired Sunday, was actually Episodes 1 and 2, it seems, so this coming Sunday, will be Episode 3.

Ah! I did not know that!

As for Noah Wiley. Like you said, Sindatur, I like him, but wasn't sure he'd be able to pull off this character in a lead position. I think he just might be able to. I thought that grizzled veteran guy as you called him was a bit of an ass, but I guess to be the leader you have to be tough, even if it makes you look like an ass. The long haired crazy guy is a loose cannon, but I think he can help them.

As for those things that they put on the teens to control them, kinda reminds me of the Keepers from B5. ;)

Hmmm. I'm tempted to start downloading it so I can keep up to date rather than be 5 weeks behind. But I do prefer the picture quality of broadcast. Hmm. Decisions decisions. I wish all of the UK channels were like Sky (they were showing Game of Thrones less than 24 hours after the US aired it and aired the Lost finale at exactly the same time as the US - that was an early morning!!!)

Which episode is it that made you say it got more interesting? I'm getting bored of it (I've seen the first four episodes - the last episode we watched they went to grab some bikes from a motorcycle shop and it ended with characters holding hands and praying :rolleyes:) and am thinking about not bothering with it anymore. But if it gets better then I might hold on.

Which episode is it that made you say it got more interesting? I'm getting bored of it (I've seen the first four episodes - the last episode we watched they went to grab some bikes from a motorcycle shop and it ended with characters holding hands and praying :rolleyes:) and am thinking about not bothering with it anymore. But if it gets better then I might hold on.
In another couple episode, you'll learn something new, pretty much every episode afterwards. It's only 10 episodes all together for S1 (For us it was 8, because the first two and the last 2 were each shown as a two hour block)

Sindatur's right. Towards the end you begin to piece together some things about the invasion....stuff like who's really behind it, what they want with our planet, how they control people, and stuff like that. I think it kinda sucks that we have to wait almost a whole year to learn more of what's going on. :LOL:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back