• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

New official Babylon 5 Website...

Yes, I do still use dial-up.

As do I.

And point in fact, dial-up that's been limited by my phone company to no greater than 28.8 kps (thank you Verizon).

Hmm, I'm also on Verizon and am running at 31.2 Kbps. No big difference, but it's higher than 28.8.

The ONLY (I'm serious) option I have for anything greater is satellite, which would cost more than I can afford (not to mention limitations as to what can be installed in the house I live in). So, seriously, I am stuck with dial-up internet no faster than 28.8. It's not funny -- it's not a joke -- it is a fact of life for me. I doubt I'm alone. So, yes, dial-up is something that people -- who aren't you -- have to deal with as a full-on reality of being able to access the internet.

I just don't feel like paying more than $9.95/mo. for access. For most things I use, Usenet Newsgroups, email, sites like this one, etc. dial-up is fine. Flash is a pain-in-the-butt.

I agree. I mean, it is 2007 and there are still tens of dozens of people in the world who still use dial-up.

:p
Moreso than you might think at first.

Although I'm no longer dial-up, I've only been cable-enhanced for a couple months. It's great, and I don't know how I could go back but I understand that not everyone has access to a cable modem or even DSL--elsewise you wouldn't be seeing all those ads for dial-up companies offering access for $9.95.

Well, a friend of mine pays the same for his dial-up as I do my broadband ... he considers it a price worth paying to be able to surf the web in peace, without any possibility of the phone ringing!

:D

I'm so glad I'm not on dialup, but that said, I think the flash-heavy websites suck big time. WB isn't the only one by any means, but it's one of the worst.

Wow....lots of discussion around dial-up Internet usage....especially for a tongue-in-cheek joke like I made.

Flash can be OK when done well or used sparingly. Unfortunately you're as likely to see either of those things as you are likely to see a Centauri eat fresh spoo! :D

Flash media is actually pretty darn cool. Its much easier to upload a vid to Youtube or something better and embed than upload a file and hope everyone has the same codecs / media player.

Admittedly Flash has its uses, but the B5 website gives no alternative to people who won't or can't (say from work) use it. Flash is perfectly fine for multimedia, but unnecessary for navigational menus, background animation, which I find horribly distracting anyway, etc.

I'm not even sure what flash is really; :DI suspect something that's flashing?

...:eek: Yes, I'm that stupid...

Basically, flash is a thing used to display more "fancy" content on a website - with animations and the such. Standard websites (HTML) are generally static, flash websites .. flash :D .. at you. Stuff moves around and the such.

This website is a perfect example of why flash is not too popular among quite a few people (one of the reasons, at least)

:D Thanks, Chili!

So, the issue is, people on dial-up have trouble with flash and some people just don't like it, that this site doesn't give people a choice; no "click here for flash" button?

And I can't tell good flash from bad, but I actually thought the site looked pretty good...:D but then what do I know. I think I'm just saying, to the average person, it would okay the way it is. Does that make sense?

Yeah, it does. The trouble is to most people it just seems normal or even better than straight HTML, which it often is. As a good use of flash, see the CGSociety articles on TLT and their layout, flash embedded in a normal page with alternatives for those without the bandwidth or those using a browser that does not support flash.

As an example of that kind of browser, blind people often access websites through a screen reader which reads the contents out, or a machine that can convert the text into Brail. Converting well laid out HTML is now easy, but converting a flash based site is a lot more difficult.

Also, most search engines cannot harvest data on flash sites well, which makes building your whole site in it a bit unwise.

I couldn`t view the site..clogged my comp up but good...i`m assuming flash is the reason why..(i`m on dial-up)...

Site ain't compatible with Opera...

Whatever, that trailer is BADASS. I haven't been following the details of TLT- actually until I just saw that trailer I didn't even believe it would happen (given the history of B5 projects, can you blame me?). But man, it got me all excited for B5 again. Sheridan and... um.. stuff blowing up... what's not to like?

Sheridan and... um.. stuff blowing up... what's not to like?

:D:DI know!! What IS not to like? Nothing that I can see, that's for sure! I LOVE it when they blow stuff up...:Dit's my favorite part, and as for Sheridan...:D woohoo!

Yeah, why am I whinging about flash when we have the first new B5 trailer in bloody ages.

Because I am British probably.

We're not really whining, :Dwe're just keeping ourselves and each other amused while we wait! I, for one, am having a hard time waiting lately! :D Is it July yet? Shouldn't it be?

And besides, :eek: some of us wouldn't have even known what flash was were it not for the "whining"! So, consider what's been done here a ...:Dpublic service!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back