• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Li Chen...

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I heard something from a friend of mine in Germany that the character of "Li Chen" is going to be played by an actor named Warren T.Takeuchi...check out the site...but, you know...nothing seems to be official on anything...Those other two actors mentioned are on a film list...so, that is interesting...This info. is from a friend of a friend who is a big fan of asian actors and also a fan of "Babylon 5"...Anyways, check out his site...I don't know of him...but he has done quite alot of stuff! I wonder if he knows Daniel Dae Kim?
www.geocities.com/m_keller63/wtakeuchi.htm

------------------

Hmmm... he's scheduled to do a film at the same time. I wonder if that deal fell through. He seems to be a good fit for the series based on that website... I suppose we'll all have to wait for the official word to confirm.

------------------
WombatControl
http://www.flarn.com/wombatcontrol/
"Who let the spoo out? Sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh..."

"...good fit for the series..."

Aaargh!

As of now, there's only one TELEMOVIE scheduled. All this "...series..." stuff is starting to get to me!!!

When/if a series gets scheduled, I'll be among the first to cheer, but in the meantime.....

<Mutter, mutter...> - must have been a bad day at work today....

Rgds,
Techno.

------------------

Well, I guess we are such fans of "Babylon 5"...we are hoping and anticipating a series for "Babylon 5:The Legend of the Rangers"...and getting ahead of ourselves...All I can say is that this guy for "Li Chen" looks like he can kick some ass...I wonder if he is going to be doing some type of martial art like most of the asian performers...HA HA HA! Jet Li...Bruce Lee...Warren T. Ha ha ha! Anyways, my hats off to him if he is really confirmed for the role of Li Chen! Cool!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I wonder if he is going to be doing some type of martial art like most of the asian performers...HA HA HA! Jet Li...Bruce Lee...Warren T.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And here I was about to say something along the lines of "Just because he's asian doesn't mean he's a Kung Fu Master".....

..... and then I read the site.

What can I say? D'oh.

------------------

The reason why I brought up the fact of maybe "Li Chen" (Warren) might be doing martial arts on the show was because I read his site. That is why. I never thought that he would based on his Asian background. Japanese to be exact! Anyways...Ha ha ha...just from his photo on the front page, he looks like he can do it anyways...Ha ha ha! I have to say, he looks abit like "Bruce Lee"...Ha ha ha!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Techno:
When/if a series gets scheduled, I'll be among the first to cheer, but in the meantime.....
Rgds,
Techno.

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just recently wrote my last letter as part of the "Save Crusade" campaign. It probably doesn't have a chance, but we keep trying. I also have mentioned numerous times in my previous letters that ANY JMS project would be eagerly watched. I cannot begin to tell you how sick I am of sci-fi that is brainless, action-packed mental mush. If B5 is still in the top 10 of the ratings, in its (what is it?) 5th repeat cycle, wouldn't you take a chance with a series? I must believe there is a place for intelligent science fiction on the airways.

------------------

Joe Michael Straczynski is a very, higly intelligent individual...exceptionally creative...imaginative...almost too complicating for the average person! But, he has been able to deliver just the right amount of all the above mentioned elements to appeal to a large audience! He is definitely an accomplished individual, and I have no idea how he does so much...he has so much on his plate it is unbelievable...He makes alot of people look lazy...that is all I can say. He is operating on a different level than most...and is able to share his brilliance with the world!
Please go to series! "The Legend the Rangers"...There is so much that he can do with the new characters...Incorporate, once again...the martial arts, which is always entertaining to watch...in conjunction with the great dialogue...drama...action...adventure...On and on and on...

------------------

Perhaps he can help out with fight choreography. As a martial artist myself, I find TV shows in general fall flat in that aspect.

I'm not saying I want the movie and (potential) series to be "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," but watching people trading haymakers left and right gets boring to me...

------------------
"We are all Kosh."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
I also have mentioned numerous times in my previous letters that ANY JMS project would be eagerly watched. I cannot begin to tell you how sick I am of sci-fi that is brainless, action-packed mental mush. If B5 is still in the top 10 of the ratings, in its (what is it?) 5th repeat cycle, wouldn't you take a chance with a series? I must believe there is a place for intelligent science fiction on the airways.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I absolutely, 100% agree with you. I will be incredibly happy if B5LR goes to a series, and would *love* to see the rest of Crusade, too. I recently read 3 un-produced Crusade scripts (including one with Bester) that would have made phenomenal episodes.

My point wasn't that I don't *want* it to happen, just that I'm getting a bit irritated by people assuming it's a foregone conclusion.

*sigh*

Rgds,
Techno.

------------------

Bruce Lee in a Rangers uniform. Why does that idea seem unbearably cool to me?

Anyway, the guy does look a bit like Bruce Lee. (Even though he's Japanese and Bruce was Chinese) Hell, he purposely trained to get a physique like Bruce Lee's. And some real martial arts action would be nice. And I mean "real". I agree with the above about no "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" stuff. It gets really annoying when Martial Arts automatically means this supernatural ability to leap 50 feet in the air. Or total invincibility in melee combat. I hate cartoonish, Power Rangersy martial arts depictions.

Most point, though, as JMS wouldn't ever put crap like that in any of his series.

------------------

Crouching Tiger,Hidden Dragon! Ha ha ha! Well, I have to agree with all the above comments regarding the martial arts that may be displayed on "Babylon 5:The Legend of the Rangers". It would be wise to keep things true to life...meaning, realistic martial arts moves opposed to supernatural combat techniques! The "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" style of fighting obviously is entertaining to watch...but an audience can only take so much of it before those gimics are overdone...which is what Hollywood is doing! Jet Li has been doing those "super-natural" moves alot in his recent Hollywood films. Cable work...etc.
I have to say that it would be absolutely fantastic to bring the spirit of "Bruce Lee" back to TV...no one individual (martial artist) has been able to come close to the charismatic energy exuded from this late "superstar"...This "Li Chen" has the look...
As you can see, I am a huge fan of "Bruce Lee"...who isn't in fact! Yeah, "Bruce Lee" in a science fiction series! Geez! That would be unbelievable! Cool! I would go for that! That will take the series in a whole new area...The first! Original! No science fiction series is doing that! That would capture a whole new audience for sure...The numbers will grow in terms of the viewers...The asian population is huge! The "Legend of the Rangers" would capture and satisfy many fans!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Techno:
And I absolutely, 100% agree with you. I will be incredibly happy if B5LR goes to a series, and would *love* to see the rest of Crusade, too. I recently read 3 un-produced Crusade scripts (including one with Bester) that would have made phenomenal episodes.

My point wasn't that I don't *want* it to happen, just that I'm getting a bit irritated by people assuming it's a foregone conclusion.

*sigh*

Rgds,
Techno.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am painfully aware, personally, that a tv movie is all that is promised at this stage. I do think it sounds good, though. Once again: when an umpteenth-repeat cycle is still among your highest ratings, wouldn't you just maybe take a chance? I'm very glad Bonnie Hammer just got promoted to a (newly created) President of Sci-Fi. She's really turned the Sci -Fi channel around. I'm trusting her.

------------------

They should try to get Jason Scott Lee for the role of Li Chen.

[This message has been edited by lethalbarbie (edited May 13, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Acid_Freeze:
Well, I heard something from a friend of mine in Germany that the character of "Li Chen" is going to be played by an actor named Warren T.Takeuchi...check out the site...but, you know...nothing seems to be official on anything...Those other two actors mentioned are on a film list...so, that is interesting...This info. is from a friend of a friend who is a big fan of asian actors and also a fan of "Babylon 5"...Anyways, check out his site...I don't know of him...but he has done quite alot of stuff! I wonder if he knows Daniel Dae Kim?
www.geocities.com/m_keller63/wtakeuchi.htm
:roll eyes:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

I have been told that this person rambling about asian this and asian that, is indeed the new actor cast in the role of "li Chen". The name has been changed to reflect his Japanese heritage, but it is still quite tacky to be here rambling about all this asian talk. I personally find it tacky and sad that this particular actor has had to resort to this. I guess he hasn't figured out that being a part of the Star Trek series guarantees him a sort of "fame" but also with screw him as far as other parts go. Ever see any of the other ex-Star Trek actors doing anything other than maybe Patrik Stewart? I don't think so. You're not doing asians any favours by taking this part. It's definatley not because of your acting skills. It's because it's been cast in Vancouver and they needed an asian actor....any asian actor. Alot of us have seen Takeuchi's acting and it's nothing to brag about. The guy can barely get acting parts in a huge market like Vancouver. Pretty sad considering the opportunities that his hometown presents for him. Anyone I've chatted with has said that his work is pretty bad, bordering on brutal. He's destined for commercials and how-to fast food videos.

I suggest we wait and see the performance before judging it. Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi) didn't have much acting experience before B5 either, but he was cast because he simply "was" Garibaldi.

I don't always agree with jms' casting choices, but I do think he gets it right most of the time. I think he's especially good at finding people who grow into their parts... So wait and see, ok?

To answer the Martial Arts questions, you don't get cast as Bruce Lee just by looking like him. Anyways, I hope to see a little of what 260+ years has done to the Martial Arts. I would also like to see a little 0g Martial Arts. If it does keep up with the times, than different gravities would have different moves, no gravity would be a momentum vs. direction art, no only to strike, but to keep your opponent off anything solid, and to get you to a fixed object. Fun choreography, at the least.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hesperous:
I would also like to see a little 0g Martial Arts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It probably would be interesting, but 0g is generally very expensive to do right (which is why it was avoided at all costs during B5.)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back