• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: The Summoning

And The Rock Cried Out No Hiding Place

• C -- Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
Big A for me. Totally enjoy the banter between Marcus and Ivanova.
Who knew they were French??
Xog what? Xog yes? Xog no?

Great stuff!

Very serious and very dark. Lyta scanning Ulkesh was just fucking metal, but what really made this episode stand out were the scenes on Centari prime. A

Totally agree with aajay, loved that line from Marcus.

"They figured out our language they just didn't bother to tell us." - Ivanova.

"Who knew they were French."

Priceless! :D

Except that was the season 3 episode "Voices of Authority".

This episode contained the other funny lines during those missions...

the reference to being godlike and four poster beds

The reference to the infamous unicorn

And Marcui's typically British reaction to the sight of a Vorlon planet killer.

We've seen Christlike references to G'Kar; this episode has some of the strongest images in that direction so far. The scenes with Cartasia very much echo the torture of Jesus by Pontius Pilate. The helmet he's given to wear reminds of the crown of thorns, the whipping he's given, and most of all, seeing Cartasia wash the Narn's blood off his hands is powerful and disturbing.

Mollari's (and Vir's) very real distress over G'Kar's torture was shown previously, and it increases with the situation.

The other disturbing plot element is the increasing brutality of the new Narn's treatment of Lyta, foreshadowing the Vorlons' plans to destroy the Shadows and anything that stands in their way. Again JMS takes someone (a race, this time) we thought was an ally and turns them into a foe. More horrifying than a known enemy is having someone you thought was on your side turn against you.

Marcus' and Susan's dialogues make for a delightful break in the tension. It's fun to see him dropping clues as to his feelings for her while she remains completely ignorant of them. Favourite line there: "If you're going to go for delusions, may as well go for really satisfying ones."

Is Garibaldi the only one sensible enough to question Lorien's presence and significance, or is his suspicion a glimpse of what's to come for him? For having been so cooperative before Sheridan's and his disappearance, he seems very uncooperative now.

The other disturbing plot element is the increasing brutality of the new Narn's treatment of Lyta....

You meant Vorlon there instead of Narn, right? I actually had to go look up the synopsis of the episode on the Lurker's Guide because I couldn't remember a Narn being mean to Lyta and was wondering if I was completely forgetting something.

I've got to admit, reading Estelyn's episodic commentary is starting to put me in the mood to watch through the show again.

You meant Vorlon there instead of Narn, right?

Oops!! Yes, of course I *meant* Vorlon. I could, of course, quote from Alice, about a word meaning exactly what I choose it to mean, but it was a plain and simple mistake on my part. On the other hand, it provoked some responses, so maybe I should try that approach more often! ;)

I've got to admit, reading Estelyn's episodic commentary is starting to put me in the mood to watch through the show again.
That would be nice! I realize that I found this forum much later than most, so there's not as much actual discussion going on now. It would be nice to have someone sharing the experience with me. At any rate, though it takes some time and thought to comment, I am determined to continue the project until I'm through. And I do enjoy reading past comments by others.

That vorlon is certainly no gentleman;

Lyta: "you didn't have to pull out of me so fast! you hurt me!"#

Jajajajajaja......:LOL:

This is another good one. There's no end to the tension.

That scene with G'Kar in the jester hat, being tortured is extremely disturbing. All the Centauri Prime bits are excellent again ... That whipping scene with the harsh spotlights, and Londo mouthing the word "scream!" at G'Kar .. good stuff.

I agree with Estelyn that the Marcus and Ivanova bits lighten the mood a bit. That "a unicorn?" line is quite amusing, even if Marcus didn't think so. Of course it goes right back to super serious when they discover that massive Vorlon fleet hiding in hyperspace.

I have mentioned before that the Vorlon programming worked really well on me. I still have a hard time thinking of them as "evil", even while looking right at their planet killer. Amazing how that works. Clear evidence of some excellent writing, I would say.

I like the Brakiri's style. Spiffy suits, dark colors, almost a bit gothy-looking. Do Brakiri come in only one variety that happens to look male to us?

It's a fortunate coincidence that Sheridan is such a good orator. Few people would have been able to turn that crowd. I'm kinda with Garibaldi (although he hasn't expressed that yet, here) in that the way Sheridan participates in his own cult of personality here makes me a bit uncomfortable. Also, did he get a haircut on Z'Ha'Dum? His growing hair at the end of the third season sort of irritates me, but I assumed it was like that because with everything going on he didn't have time to get a haircut. It doesn't look so bad in this episode, though :p

I have mentioned before that the Vorlon programming worked really well on me. I still have a hard time thinking of them as "evil", even while looking right at their planet killer. Amazing how that works. Clear evidence of some excellent writing, I would say.

I'm actually the opposite - the Vorlons seem even worse than the Shadows to me (not that I would side with the Shadows either). At least the Shadows seemed to have clear reasoning behind their actions. The Vorlons were very vague in what they wanted, other than obedience (and Sheridan cleverly turns the question back on to them, "what do you want?" and they have no answer) and never tried to explain their point of view to Sheridan. At this point in the series it is clear that Kosh wasn't a typical Vorlon in terms of what he thought was right and wrong. Makes you wonder if he was sent to B5 as an outcast.

Also, did he get a haircut on Z'Ha'Dum? His growing hair at the end of the third season sort of irritates me, but I assumed it was like that because with everything going on he didn't have time to get a haircut. It doesn't look so bad in this episode, though :p

Ha ha, yeah I hated his long hair too! He seems to get it cut sometime between this episode and Falling Towards Apotheosis – I guess the haircut is a way to imply he's changed in some way.

My liking of the Vorlons isn't based on anything rational at all. I can clearly see they're extremely manipulative, and doing all these terrible things. But .. they're so shiny! :D And they have these really cool ships! Also, I guess I just got so used to thinking of them as allies, in the army of Light, standing against the Darkness. But it wouldn't be Babylon 5 if it was anything as straightforward as that :p

The hair probably is still long in The Summoning, just that you can't see it so well. But, I am glad he finally gets a haircut. I hadn't thought of it as symbolic, but that makes sense.

The biggest problem with my latest rewatch was, oddly enough, the sound quality.

I can't get it loud enough to hear the words without cranking it loud enough to bother the wife/kids. That means it's either headphones, or watching it all alone on another floor of the house. Both of which are rather isolating.

Of course, the obvious answer is that the wife and kids should either learn to love B5 or hit the street, but oddly enough I've become fairly attached to the little buggers so I won't be enforcing that one.

Has anybody else noticed that they have to crank it to unusual levels to understand what's being said or is it just me?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back