• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Matt Smith Dr Who

I'm waiting for the soundtrack to series 5 and the specials soundtracks to be released. It would be criminal not to have some of the music to The End of Time available... I also like the Eleventh Doctor's theme and Vincent's theme from Vincent and the Doctor (and yes I already bagged Chances by Athlete).

My guess is that the soundtracks will be merged because the BBC will want to bolster the popularity. They did the same thing with series 1&2.

Sorry to go over old ground, I'm sure, but Dr Who is only being shown on BBC America at the moment? Or not?

Currently, new Dr. Who, in the US, is being shown only on BBC America. I think Canada is showing them on CBC. Syfy was showing some old ones, not too long ago, but not any more, I don't think. I didn't see more that two seasons of Sara Jane in the US, IIRC.

Space, Canada's Syfy equivalent is showing Doctor Who, at the same time as the Americans. However, I lack patience.

BTW, the latest episode ... Wow. That was obscenely awesome.

The penultimate one? The Pandorica Opens?

You are not just whistling dixie on that!

How bleak... I think Stephen Fry's BAFTA speech and RTD's keyboard just utterly got pwned!

Spoiler for For Amy:
I liked the fact that the ending of Victory of the Daleks (talking a robot out of being a bomb), lulled you into a false sense of security with Auton Rory

Spoiler for for The Doctor:
I keep thinking of Battlefield and Remembrance of the Daleks. In both those episodes, the Doctor has manipulated events to his advantage (in Battlefield it's a future Doctor, in Remembrance I think it was something he'd done previously). We don't know who built the Pandorica... is it possible the Coalition think they've used the already existing device (Remember they only found it after it transmitted it's location... although this could also have been a misdirection as part of the trap) to trap the Doctor when actually a future Doctor invented it and has pulled a double blinder on his previous self and his enemies?

Remember, River did say that half the time when their was a mysterious device made by a mad wizard or tinkerer in folklore, it usually turned out to have been the Doctor who was responsible for making it.

Remember also the Doctor's cautioary words to the Weeping Angels about there being one thing you don't put in a trap if you value your continuing existence (him).

And will the much talked about no blazer/blazer Doctor from Flesh and Stone turn out to be as pivotal as many people think?

I'm really anxious, fraught, and eager in equal measures to see the conclusion.

However AD, if you weren't referring to The Pandorica Opens but rather to Vincent and the Doctor... I heartily agree also and am not ashamed to say that I was crying at the end of the episode. I've also added the Athlete track "Chances" to my iPod.

I was indeed referring to "The Pandorica Opens". I actually was underwhelmed with "Vincent and the Doctor". I liked it, but it wasn't the best.

How bleak... I think Stephen Fry's BAFTA speech and RTD's keyboard just utterly got pwned!

Agreed, RTD got served.

... What's Steven Fry's BAFTA speech?

Fry basically said that Doctor Who was "just for kids" in a speech at Bafta recently. Storm in a teacup really because he himself actually likes the show and even wrote a script for series 2 that got sidelined by RTD for being too ambitious so early on.

I was indeed referring to "The Pandorica Opens". I actually was underwhelmed with "Vincent and the Doctor". I liked it, but it wasn't the best.

I personally think Curtis went about the episode in a similar way to how James Cameron approached Terminator (by which I mean that he had an original concept that I believe was essentially the last 10 minutes of the episode, and structured the rest of the script into bringing that about).

Yes the creature is daft, but I just kind of knew that the story wasn't about that... it was all prologue and setting up the pieces for the last 10 minutes... which was the emotional heart of the episode.

Rather good of the BBC to put up a depression helpline after the episode screened (though some people cynically attacked them for doing so)

Wonder if the BBC will release prints of this?

Spoiler for For Amy:
I liked the fact that the ending of Victory of the Daleks (talking a robot out of being a bomb), lulled you into a false sense of security with Auton Rory
Spoiler for For Amy:
Have I missed news reports of Amy leaving? If not she is coming back.

The BBC website has reports of a previous companion dying, although that could be Rory.

Spoiler for for The Doctor:
I keep thinking of Battlefield and Remembrance of the Daleks. In both those episodes, the Doctor has manipulated events to his advantage (in Battlefield it's a future Doctor, in Remembrance I think it was something he'd done previously). We don't know who built the Pandorica... is it possible the Coalition think they've used the already existing device (Remember they only found it after it transmitted it's location... although this could also have been a misdirection as part of the trap) to trap the Doctor when actually a future Doctor invented it and has pulled a double blinder on his previous self and his enemies?

Remember, River did say that half the time when their was a mysterious device made by a mad wizard or tinkerer in folklore, it usually turned out to have been the Doctor who was responsible for making it.

Remember also the Doctor's cautioary words to the Weeping Angels about there being one thing you don't put in a trap if you value your continuing existence (him).

And will the much talked about no blazer/blazer Doctor from Flesh and Stone turn out to be as pivotal as many people think?

I'm really anxious, fraught, and eager in equal measures to see the conclusion.

Spoiler for For The Doctor:
The Tardis is due to explode, that may be sufficient to destroy the Pandoria. The Tardis has been flown to the location it fell to at the start of this series. The Doctor may be able to climb out through the cracks in time.

Something is controlling the Tardis. That is a power the Time Lords used to have. The cracks in time may allow them to escape.

All the Doctor's enemies have got to start fighting each other. Is wiping them out the last act of the time war?

.... and in true Steve Moffat style, it was awesomely obscene too. :thumbsup:

There's been a fair amount of controversy over the amped up (hetero)sexuality this season, from the suspiciously-shaped new Time Rotor right through to Amy trying to jump the Doctor's bones in the previous Moffat two-parter. Well, let me say right now that anything that involves sticking Alex Kingston in hot pants and having her ride a mechanical horse gets my vote any time. That was hands down the best scene ever in the confidentials.:drool:

Then there's poor Rory - all that anticipation, only to have it go off in his hand at the critical moment .... :devil:

(joking aside, I seriously hope Amy isn't dead - no actress deserves to have her death scene choreographed like something out of Doctor Screw. Though maybe Karen Gillan might actually be up for it).

I don't know what the hell this "Kids' Show" that Stephen Fry's watching is - maybe he's actually crowdsourcing his opinions from his chums on twitter or something. But as a big fan of both DW and Coupling, I'd say this season has been the best one yet!

Phew. Anyway, on a less sensual level, it was nice to see the final Quatermass serial respectfully referenced (after the completely shameless ripoff in Children of Earth). Not to mention the nod to This is Spinal Tap. Hell-ooo Stonehenge! :)

Re: Matt Smith Dr Who *Spoilers*

Then there's poor Rory - all that anticipation, only to have it go off in his hand at the critical moment .... :devil:

I loved the way it mirrored the ending of Victory of the Daleks... you are lulled subconsciously into a false sense that it's going to be okay and then *pop*

(joking aside, I seriously hope Amy isn't dead - no actress deserves to have her death scene choreographed like something out of Doctor Screw. Though maybe Karen Gillan might actually be up for it).

The new power ranger daleks were designed with her height in mind (similar to how the previous new daleks were designed with Billy Piper's height in mind), yet she has not been in a scene with the new ones yet. she's also signed on for another year apparently... although frankly there is so much information and misinformation about, anything could be true.

I don't know what the hell this "Kids' Show" that Stephen Fry's watching is - maybe he's actually crowdsourcing his opinions from his chums on twitter or something. But as a big fan of both DW and Coupling, I'd say this season has been the best one yet!

I did a little research. apparently Fry is a fan of the show and had a script ready for series 2 RTD era. Davies delayed it until series 3 as it was "too ambitious", but it never saw the light of day again as far as I'm aware... makes me wonder if he felt a bit betrayed and was a little hurt by that.

Back in plot and it's interesting that the real "Big Bad" hasn't been revealed yet (the mysterious power who tricked the coalition into thinking the Doctor was the true threat and bundling him away in the Pandorica. Now that force whoever it was has taken the TARDIS to the point where it will wipe out the universe. Some have speculated Omega... but the Valeyard was also referenced earlier in the series. I guess you have to ask yourself who benefits from the destruction of absolutely everything (ok that was kinda Davros' plan in Journey's End, but that was done out of lunacy... this seems far more calculated and with a proper motive behind it).

I wonder if the Pandorica is all it seems. River did say that half the time the Trickster or wizard behind the invention of these things turned out to be the Doctor and it's certainly not the first time his future self has left a way out for him (Remembrance of the Daleks/Battlefield to name a couple).

Also remember what he said about not putting him in a trap if you value your continued existence.

It was really cool, although I'm not sure how next season's ender can top the simultaneous destruction of all realities.

Alex Kingston is 47, but my word, she looks good in those trousers.

I'm guessing Dreamlord / Valeyard is the ultimate big bad, but we shall see.

So no comments on the last episode? Thoroughly enjoyed it and it finally had me emotionally connect with the new doctor.

Last US ep? I just saw Vincent, and I am ambivalent. Lots of it just seemed like things the Doctor wouldn't do. It went out of its way to be a 'feel good' ep. It did look nice, though.

Last US ep? I just saw Vincent, and I am ambivalent. Lots of it just seemed like things the Doctor wouldn't do. It went out of its way to be a 'feel good' ep. It did look nice, though.

Sorry, I meant the British episode which was the season ender.

The finale was pretty fun, although it totally backed Terry Pratchetts' excellent recent critique of the show, in that it has now moved from science fiction to space / time travel fantasy. This is not a bad thing, but the show is not what it originally was.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/05/03/guest-blog-terry-pratchett-on-doctor-who/

In terms of acting, pace and story, it was great fun. Matt Smith is really good, and seems very confident and happy in the role. I hope he kicks around for another couple of seasons at least. Karen G. needs some kind of legal restriction on screen-time. She is far too smouldering and sexy for kids!

Wow, what a complex episode! I need to watch it again just to get everything straight in my head (kind of like the way I felt the first time I watched the War Without End 2-parter), but I thought it was great.

Just a quick question - exactly how did The Doctor escape the Pandorica?

Yes, it certainly helped at key points to rewind my recording to check certain things! Who noticed (first time) that he had a mop with him the first time he spoke to R and then not `immediately` afterwards ? And then the long-wondered-about jacket/no-jacket scene in an earlier episode shown to be not a continuity error. (Excellently done :): clever and subtle, an apparently small thing that indicated so much [if we were paying attention].)

Interesting question about when/how did he escape? We later saw his means of escape (I'm trying not to give anything away) but how did he reach the point where he was able to `jump` in the first place? Loops of time involved and within the episode he said himself it was difficult/almost impossible to "keep it straight". (And so good that we now have a clever writer who clearly likes the complexities that time-travel causes. Great combination. Reminds me of that short BBC series "Crime Traveller".)

Fantastic loyalty and determination from R, who up to now has always (deliberately, of course, so this contrast is all the more pointed) been painted as being not the sharpest knife and rather feeble. I really like the `positivity` of the Doctor's objectives and his desire for `good` to triumph * (shown so wonderfully at the end of `Vincent`, as just one example: such a strong wish in him that the troubled artist should be shown that at least he was appreciated in later times), and I think R's determination and then A's at the end really bolster that, in a way that suggests that the Doctor's `determined desire for good` is being infectiously `caught` by those near him.

(* And his almost relentless optimism in an age of cynicism - a great role model.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back