• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Doctor Who - Season 3 [spoilers]

I should have expected the reset button... it was a bit of a shame, but did not detract from the epicness of it all. Was very happy, all in all. Most of the loose ends tied up. Loved the Flash Gordon reference. Anf Face of Bo ? makes total sense...

Martha will be back, she really is great.

I was expecting deus ex machina.

I was not expecting dei ex machinis.

Though I guess after having seen RTD building up a "GRAND! GRAND! GRAND!!!!" season ending twice now, without knowing how to resolve it, I should have been more prepared. Just was kind of expecting more .. of a plan, with how fun last week's episode was.

EDIT: I was also not expecting Dobby ex machina.

Last edited:
Of course. Face of Boe, Face of Beau.

I'm somewhat unmoved, yet strangely satisfied. Martha saved the world, and she was pretty badass doing it. And she's definitely grown, she's ready to become a doctor herself and finally put the kibosh in her crush. And I understand her leaving, her family just spent a year in slavery, they need her.

Yet the heavenly Doctor was pretty silly.

As soon as The Master's plan was set up using a Paradox Machine, surely it was clear that the actual events of the takeover would be undone once the paradox was undone. However, it wasn't a complete reset button, because the characters themselves have been significantly changed by this.

Doc 10 was already showing a darker side than most of his predecessors, and that will surely only become more acute as a result of finding another Time Lord, and then being left alone for the second time (or is he?).

Martha has grown enormously over the season and particularly this final arc.

Martha's family have been left devastated by what they have seen, and only Martha to share it with as the rest of the world is oblivious to what happened.

All this talk of deus ex machina (or plural of) is somewhat disingenuous as well ... the Doctor has been shown on a number of occasions, not just during these three seasons but before, to have some level of psychic ability. It is perfectly consistent with that to have him spending his year of captivity tuning himself into what The Master is doing with the psychic signal over the people of Earth and using it against him.

Yes, the "divine" Doctor was a little over the top, but then how many hundreds of other things across the history of Doctor Who could you level the same accusation at?

For me, this was the most satisfying season finale of the new series so far, and leaves us at an interesting point ... the Doctor is alone again, but having changed as a character through a companion that he fell in love with, and another who he knows fell in love with him, but he treated badly.

The earth has also changed because the timestream was reset to a point after the presence of alien life had been confirmed to them live on television ... not to mention the assassination of the US President by them.

And suddenly everything the Face of Boe said and did over his three brief appearances in the show makes sense.

And the Jack Harkness we will see in TW season2 should now be able to come to terms with his immortality and be a better character for it.

Most of the criticism I have seen for this episode has come from people who just don't like RTD's take on the show and the character of the Doctor. That's unfortunate, but the ratings, and Audience Appreciation figures for his tenure as Exec Producer show that that is a minority opinion.

If the BBC wanted DW to become a powerhouse, critically acclaimed family SciFi (rather than SF) drama that would own Saturday evening television then he has delivered big style. And good on him. I (along with my wife and children) will definitely be with staying with him for the ride.

Looks like Martha will transfer to Torchwood. Hopefully she will stop them all shagging and make them do something useful.

And give Captain Jack control of the Valiant. Then it would be an indestructable Captain and his flying Aircraft Carrier...

Most of the criticism I have seen for this episode has come from people who just don't like RTD's take on the show and the character of the Doctor.

Not really. Mind you, the RTD episodes aren't generally my favourites, and I do think there are more talented writers on the show (Paul Cornell, Robert Shearman, Steven Moffat)
.. and I have disliked all season finales till now, as they always try to be so damned !!!!GRAND!!!! .. which is one thing the new show just doesn't do well.

But I do, in general, think he's doing a decent job as a producer, and this year in particular .. I've actually quite liked some of his scripts, also if they've all had massive flaws. The Runaway Bride, Smith and Jones, Gridlock, and The Sound of Drums have been quite enjoyable for me.

It was the best season by far, despite the obvious issues with the final script. I loved Martha, and am glad she will be back.

Mind you, Kylie in the Xmas special...

POSSIBLE CASTING SPOILERS AHEAD

There are rumours that it'll be the guy that played Thomas Milligan in the last episode - Martha's pretty friend guy person - with Martha returning for the later half of the series.

No idea if he'd be playing Thomas Milligan, or a different character. If Thomas Milligan though, it would make sense .. as it would give Martha a chance to return without more swoon-swoon-doctor.

Good point :D

In general though, I would not mind a male companion. Especially if it's one that we know to be straight, as this would mean a break from the broken-heart-oh-I-miss-Rose doctor.

Good point :D

In general though, I would not mind a male companion. Especially if it's one that we know to be straight, as this would mean a break from the broken-heart-oh-I-miss-Rose doctor.

On Doctor Who confidential, RTD was more or less saying that Martha's primary job in the writing was to be the one whose companionship healed the Doctor from that state of mind. He was saying that often in life, the person who loves you and helps restore you... usually finds that love unrequited.... that despite their desires, they normally just set you up for the next person to come along and reap the benefits.

So I don't think the Doctor will be mooning so much over Rose next year.

Well .. the rumours got it wrong.

The real new old companion next year: Donna

What can a guy say aside from "YES!"

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back