• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Will we be able to seperate Drazi faces afte B5LR?

Chilli

High Treason Prevention Officer
Hi,
I was just wondering..
In B5 I never could tell one Drazi from another.
But now, we will have a main character Drazi.

If B5Lr has a 5-year run, will we be able to tell which Drazi we see when we see him/her under all of the makeup?

------------------
Been there, done that

Quite possible. I mean, when I started watching B5 I couldn't really tell the supporting Minbari apart either.
crazy.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say."

Now we all know that the only way to tell the drazi apart is by the purple and green ribbons they wear while beating the piss out of each other
laugh.gif

------------------

I'm sure you can also tell one Drazi apart from another by their size... there must be both bigger Drazis and smaller Drazis?

Or not?
crazy.gif

------------------

Actually Kribu... it's them pesky Narns that all look alike
crazy.gif

Terann

------------------
Teeps rule; Mundanes get spaced

Revere the Founders
Obey the Vorta
And don't poke the Jem'Hadar

Only to your very untrained eyes, Terann.
crazy.gif

------------------

Kribu, make that "inexperienced eye" in my opinion. I, too, found the features took some time to get used to. I'd guess I'll be able to tell them apart (but won't know their names) pretty quickly. I admit: faces are much easier for me to remember than names!

------------------
"Will the Senator yield for a question? It's in 12 parts, so it may take some time..."

JMS has said it was the heavy Drazi make-up that made the Markab the victims of a 100% fatal, 100% contagious plague instead of the Drazi, because the Drazi would not have been able to show emotions as well through the make-up.

Perhaps the make-up for Tirk will be toned down a little bit. Maybe it won't cover his face as much as it does most Drazi, so that Gus will be able to show his facial expressions through the mask.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were very subtle differences in G'Kar's make-up compared to most Narn. He still looked very Narn, but he was able to express and emote quite well.

In fact, I wonder if that's part of the reason Londo had a higher hairline than many other Centauri, so that Peter could provide more expression through his forehead.

Just a theory.

------------------
Not many fishes left in the sea. Not many fishes, just Londo and me.

I noticed that the Minbari also looked kind of expressionless in the pilot episode and maybe the first couple of eps after. Then their make-up seems to have been "toned down" considerably. I'm hoping the same will happen with the Drazi.

And while we are on the subject of alien Rangers, I hope if there is a series someone will slip in a Pak-Mara Ranger. I always liked the idea of the Pak-Mara being the "ones no one wants to pay attention to" and slipping through all sorts of places basically ignored.

------------------
"Will the Senator yield for a question? It's in 12 parts, so it may take some time..."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I noticed that the Minbari also looked kind of expressionless in the pilot episode and maybe the first couple of eps after. Then their make-up seems to have been "toned down" considerably. I'm hoping the same will happen with the Drazi.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From JMS (in the Lurker's Guide)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
We'd originally planned to go for a more vague sexuality for Delenn; a male physically and primarily in the voice, on top of the natural female movements one gets from an actress. In post-production, however, we couldn't get the voice to sound as good and male as we'd wanted. In addition, a couple of convention showing of a rough cut saw people responding VERY strongly to her voice as it was, so we finally decided to let it stand and change the one reference to "he" to "she," and that was the end of it.

Delenn was originally going to be a fairly sexually-ambiguous character... a male character, played by a female, with a computer altered voice... but we couldn't make the alteration sound good enough to satisfy us, so we left her a her.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Oh, back on the Origianl topic, the Drazi actually have Two different appearances. What has been referred to as the "Smooth" Drazi and the "Scaley" Drazi.

I don't believe JMS ever made USE of this difference, but it is another potential source of Conflict among the Drazi.
laugh.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

Are there any female Drazi?
shocked.gif

Well, I suppose there must be... besides, Londo mentioned in season 5 something about the wife of the Drazi ambassador... but anyway, if there are any, they are pretty well hidden.

In any case, as long as there's just one Drazi ranger (in the movie, that is), I'm sure we'll be able to tell him apart from the rest of the crew.
laugh.gif

------------------

Let's see, a list of B5 aliens who all look alike within their own race(s):

Pak'ma'ra
Drazi
Llort
Vree
Gaim (ok, so it's a mask)
tongue.gif

Narn (hey, you try picking out one particular Narn in a group! And you can't choose G'Kar or Ta'lon!)

I suppose someone from any of those races would say the same about Humans, Centauri, or the Minbari, as well.

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

Well, the Minbari have various shapes on their headbones atleast... and some have beards.

About Drazi females... I think there were hints that Drazi females look pretty much the same as males, and for outsiders it's hard to see the difference. Like when Garibaldi comes selling his Acme Handy-Dandy Micro Helper to the Drazi in "The Geometry of Shadows", he says something like "Sir, I'm looking for the lady of the house, assuming, you're not the lady of the house."

------------------
vakie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LondosHair:
Narn (hey, you try picking out one particular Narn in a group! And you can't choose G'Kar or Ta'lon!)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With all due respect, I must disagree.
laugh.gif

Na'Toth looked very different from Ko'Dath. That assassin guy in Parliament of Dreams looked different. There was no problem recognizing G'Sten or general Na'Tok (actually, I also recognized that same actor as the Minbari...).
And I had no trouble picking out, say, that really stupid follower who kept asking those silly "deep" questions in season 5... or that fanatic in Objects in Motion.

Did I leave anyone out?
laugh.gif

Besides, just look at the spots!! The Narn had all very different spots!!
laugh.gif

Actually, I'd guess that the makeup would perhaps change a little, if one race becomes a "major race". The Drazi were more or less a supporting race in B5, someone to laugh at or be angry at - quite impersonal, more in the background.
Since there was no "important" Drazi character in B5, there was perhaps no need to put all that much effort into their makeup? With a Drazi more visible in the movie/possible series, that might change.

------------------

Well my guess is, since they are using the same actor to play the same role, it should be easier. On B5, a man by the name of Kim Strauss played Vizak, the Drazi ambassador. I could always tell it was Vizak (his name is only mentioned in one episode) because of Mr. Strauss's voice and facial expressions. So I think it should be fairly easy to tell which of the Drazi is our main character by memorizing the sound of his voice.

------------------
Sheridan to Bester:
And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it, and feed your charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.

Well since we spent a decent amount of time with G'Kar we can spot him easily as who he is and not Narn number five. Rangers will probably do the same.

------------------
Bus
"Authorities say the phony pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and increadibly foul mouth." Kent Brockman

As far as telling Narns apart, I think the first Na'Toth was way hotter than the second Na'Toth.
Who is Ko'Dath?

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Ko'Dath was G'Kar's attachee early in the first season. She wasn't in but a few eps (maybe only one, can't remember). Played by Mary Woronov (pardon spelling). She had a rather unfortunate incident with an airlock, and Na'Toth replaced her.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back