• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Torchwood: Children of Earth (Spoilers)

Re: Torchwood: Children of Earth (Spoliers)

Missed the first episode but managed to find time to watch last nights.I had gone off Torchwood a bit but this has got me interested again :thumbsup:

BBC America is carrying it for us in the USA the week of July 20

John Barrowman is apparently not happy about it being slashed from a full series... to a week's worth of episodes.

However, I think that the BBC is rebranding Torchwood as a science fiction serial drama rather than a science fiction series.

I think it's given Torchwood a bit more muscle and credibility.

John Barrowman is apparently not happy about it being slashed from a full series... to a week's worth of episodes.

However, I think that the BBC is rebranding Torchwood as a science fiction serial drama rather than a science fiction series.

I think it's given Torchwood a bit more muscle and credibility.

What's the difference between a SciFi Serial Drama and a SciFi Series?

I like the fact that we get it all back to back in a week, but, kinda bummed it will go so quickly

What's the difference between a SciFi Serial Drama and a SciFi Series?

I like the fact that we get it all back to back in a week, but, kinda bummed it will go so quickly

I mean exactly what you say... singular storylines played out over the course of 3-5 episodes instead of a full series of separate stories (with an over arcing theme).

They prove very successful over here... though it's usually just crime dramas that get the kind of treatment.

I mean exactly what you say... singular storylines played out over the course of 3-5 episodes instead of a full series of separate stories (with an over arcing theme).

They prove very successful over here... though it's usually just crime dramas that get the kind of treatment.
Ah, Okay, we don't typically do that with established series, if they get cut down to a minimum number of episodes, they are usually cut. When we do get something that is shown over just a couple of nights, we call that a Mini-Series (IE: The Dune Mini-series or Taken)

The new format works well for me, in fact it reminds me of old Who four parters.

The show just feels tighter, the characters are very natural, Gwen especially. This may be having the team down to three, with a strong supporting cast.

A mixture of this format and Torchwood 1-2 hour specials would work very well. I think the show has been reinvigorated.

Unless RTD blows the ending. Which he may.

Probably for different reasons to you Dave, but yeah, quite.

I found the cabinet discussions about numbers to be horribly disturbing.

Well, that was a pretty disturbing hour of television to end on, but they did not mess up the ending. The whole thing felt less like cheesy Torchwood and more like those shocking old programs the beeb used to do, like Threads.

Wow. Disturbing, yes, but really well done ... and the weight of the characters and the decisions made.

Just wow.

Have only seen the first part, so not reading anything in this thread, but so far .. it's a whole different show.

One that doesn't suck.

Not sure yet if it will stay this way, but so far, I'm quite impressed.

The first episode is currently on the BBC's website.
www.bbc.co.uk

It's not available to people outside Britain. :(

I wonder if the show will end up on video, in region 1. I've gotten used to waiting for things I want to see, it wouldn't kill me if I knew it would eventually be accessible over here.

I'm glad to hear the program has improved by leaps and bounds, but it appears they are using much the same cast? Not too surprising, it didn't seem to be the acting in most cases, but the scripts. I'm glad they saved he series and turned that around. It's nice to know it can be done. :)

What a great mini series. The characters were much better handled than usual and the story was gripping. There were some bits that were very boring and should have been cut and some of the actions from people didn't make sense. But overall it was much better than any torchwood episode previously. Definitely paints politicians accurately in my opinion.

Definitely paints politicians accurately in my opinion.

Yes... I felt sorry for Frobisher in the end. I hated Prime Minister Green and wasn't encouraged at all by his treacherous successor (she stabbed him in the back when his boat was clearly sinking... but she spearheaded some of the most vile policy making that we saw).

Darkest TV resolution I've seen in some time.

Hyp,
You can use an anonymous proxy to view iplayer from the States.

http://www.anonymous-proxies.org/2009/02/using-iplayer-abroad-viewing-bbc-via.html

There was some padding due to a 3 hour story being streatched into 5, but the main plot was so gripping you did not care. This managed not to suck like 60% of previous Torchwood stories.

Thanks, DL, I'll have to check it out when things calm down a bit. We're in the last week of summer school right now, and I have a textbook review on top of it. So I will probably look into it next week, after Monday some time. I'd think that websites would have ways of protecting themselves from proxy servers. It's an interesting concept. :cool:

Yes... I felt sorry for Frobisher in the end. I hated Prime Minister Green and wasn't encouraged at all by his treacherous successor (she stabbed him in the back when his boat was clearly sinking... but she spearheaded some of the most vile policy making that we saw).

Darkest TV resolution I've seen in some time.

Definitely felt bad for Frobisher as well. The Prime Minister was your standard politician always trying to cover ones backside. While that other woman was more like a Dick Cheney politician as in whatever she thinks is best ends up just being evil. This series did bring up some interesting ideas about the worth of human life and the different classes. It also exposed how a country's previous sins end up affecting policy and thinking in the future. And Britain has plenty of previous sins and most don't include aliens.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back