• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

SiL Mirror

A_Ranger

Regular
Well, I just finished another b5 run-through. Sleepign in Light really choked me up, as always
smile.gif

Anyway... movign on to the point...

---------------------------------------
From JMS

When I was directing "Sleeping in Light," there's a scene with Sheridan and a mirror. (That's all I'll say about it, so there's no spoiler info there.) As John Flinn lit the shot, and angled the mirror...I froze at what I was seeing on the monitor. I called John over, and pointed to it. "Do you see what I see?" It took him a moment, but then his eyes went wide, and by his own reckoning, "the skin on my arms crawled." He turned to the guys dressing the set and said, in a very loud, clear voice, "NOBODY TOUCHES THAT MIRROR! YOU HEAR ME!? NOBODY!"

It's not a big...but it's a pretty cool unintended illusion (though once we saw it, we kept it).
--------------------------------------

I've looked at that shot a few tiems already, and I don't see what he's talkign about!? Does anybody see it (how about you Recoil)? I wanna see it!!!!

(Sigh) It's jsut like those magic eye pictures that were so damn popular. I never could see em
frown.gif

------------------
We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A_Ranger:
I've looked at that shot a few tiems already, and I don't see what he's talkign about!? Does anybody see it (how about you Recoil)? I wanna see it!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look closely at Recoil's avatar. I believe it's exactly the scene in question - take a look at the mirror behind Sheridan.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

I've got that article in a magazine in full so I can tell you Kribu is correct though I'm not going to spoil it either. I will tell you this though, for further clues think about what happened to Sheridan in his life, and what happened to somebody else a long time ago, JMS is referring to archetypical similarities between Sheridan and the historical person. The image in the mirror VERY much illustrates this. I will say no more, perhaps I have said too much already, I would much prefer you to find it out for yourself, it is really bittersweet.

God Bless

------------------
Back when I was a kid in Sunday School, Father Minkowski once said: "Given the crucifixion was a terrible thing for anyone to endure, if you could go back in time 2200 years, would you prevent the crucifixion of Christ?" Well after a heated debate, we all agreed the answer was no. The crucifixion was necessary to redeem the world. - Lt. John Matheson "The Needs of Earth"

"We live for the One. We die for the One!"

I'm sorry, but it is so hard to see those avatar pictures, many of them are so dark and slim on details. I think I know what is going on, but mostly because I read something about it awhile ago, too. I'll spoiler it and let you decide to read or not to read:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> There is a cross on his uniform, but I think that's part of the outfit. The illusion I think is what seems to be a cross over his left shoulder, in the upper right of the picture. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

You all see it every time you look at my avatar
wink.gif
That is one of the reasons I chose this particular shot.

The cross is on the right side of avatar and is black in color on the mirror. Behind it on the top of the cross is a white backdrop and the lower part of the cross has a grey backdrop. The cross itself is tipped at an angle leaning slightly to the left.

See it now?
wink.gif

P.S. Hypatia is correct, there is a cross on the uniform as well (left side of the avatar) but that is part of the uniform and has always been there on all the Army of Light uniforms (probably for that reason too). So I guess there are 2 in that single shot.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

[This message has been edited by Recoil (edited January 26, 2002).]

In your avator Recoil, the cross looks kinda yellow, to me.

------------------
Have a nice day!!!

It's a good avatar to have recoil... one I'd be proud to have. You chose wisely!
wink.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
Back when I was a kid in Sunday School, Father Minkowski once said: "Given the crucifixion was a terrible thing for anyone to endure, if you could go back in time 2200 years, would you prevent the crucifixion of Christ?" Well after a heated debate, we all agreed the answer was no. The crucifixion was necessary to redeem the world. - Lt. John Matheson "The Needs of Earth"

Incidentally, I have sometimes thought of editing together sequences from the crucifixion on Zefferelli's Jesus of Nazareth, onto the Requiem for the Line, the music sort of does make me think of that sometimes!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DW:
In your avator Recoil, the cross looks kinda yellow, to me.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The cross on the uniform (which is on the left of the avatar), is gold (yellow). The one in the mirror, in the background, is on the right of the avatar and is black. That is the one he was asking about.

Galahad:

Thanks
smile.gif
Your

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> future human encounter suit </font></td></tr></table>

is pretty sweet too
wink.gif

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

Okay I see it now. So that's what the fuss was about? That wasn't anythign big. Of course, JMS did say it wasn't a biggie, but who ever thinks a mystery isn't a biggie?

------------------
We're all born as molecules in the hearts of a billion stars, molecules that do not understand politics, policies and differences. In a billion years we, foolish molecules forget who we are and where we came from. Desperate acts of ego. We give ourselves names, fight over lines on maps. And pretend our light is better than everyone else's. The flame reminds us of the piece of those stars that live inside us. A spark that tells us: you should know better. The flame also reminds us that life is precious, as each flame is unique. When it goes out, it's gone forever. And there will never be another quite like it

The tipoff that it's not the cross on the Uniform that jms was talking about is that Bruce/Sheridan wasn't There when jms first spotted the reflection.

It happened while the crew was putting the set together.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

it looks like someone is carrying the cross in the mirror:
perhaps someone who learned from both his 'father's; taught that knowledge; died for that knowldge; came back to life; challenged a corrupt regime; laid the foundations, headed and trained replacements for an institution intended for peace and growth; and then was taken into a higher plane?

kinda reminds me of another story...

CR

------------------

[This message has been edited by EntilSedai (edited January 26, 2002).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back