B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old April 16th 09, 21:57   #1
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

Cool stuff throughout the show

Just watching this now for about the fourth time. Am enjoying it a lot more picking up small things I still missed the other three times! For instance, the guy that shoots Garibaldi at the end of the season is in the episode 'Mind War' (1.6). There are two or three sequences where he communicates telepathically with Bester, and its clear on a re-watch that he is slipping Bester information about Ironheart. Great stuff.

What is interesting is how well most of the cast nailed their characters first time around. Garibaldi, G'kar, Londo and Delenn are all perfect.

'The sky full of stars' is coming up next. Cannot wait. I loved that.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th 09, 23:26   #2
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Re: Cool stuff in season 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth_librarian View Post
Just watching this now for about the fourth time. Am enjoying it a lot more picking up small things I still missed the other three times! For instance, the guy that shoots Garibaldi at the end of the season is in the episode 'Mind War' (1.6). There are two or three sequences where he communicates telepathically with Bester, and its clear on a re-watch that he is slipping Bester information about Ironheart. Great stuff.

What is interesting is how well most of the cast nailed their characters first time around. Garibaldi, G'kar, Londo and Delenn are all perfect.

'The sky full of stars' is coming up next. Cannot wait. I loved that.

Really? I must've seen Mind War at least 5 times. I know he was in earlier episodes in the background, but, I never noticed this. I'm planning on rewatching the series again after regular primetime shows start to end, definitely gonna watch for this.
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th 09, 18:01   #3
B5_Obsessed
First One

I don't know if "Garibaldi's Aid" was specifically communicating with Bester, it was just a plot point (later discarded) that telepaths prefer to communicate that way rather than going through the trouble of speaking - a habit they are told to stop while onboard the station.

Dramatically speaking, it would have been much cooler had Takashima stayed on and been the one to shoot Garibaldi.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th 09, 10:15   #4
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

It was open to intepretation. In one sequence, Jack and another security officer encounter Bester, and tell him 'its just a drill'. It was implied that Bester scanned them and found out they were lying, but given that Jack was there as a sleeper agent for Psi-Corp (he later uses the same prisoner style wave as Bester) it would be cool to assume otherwise.

Takashima would have been a cool ploy I agree. Shame her acting sucked.

Watched the War prayer, generally a bit sucky, but Londo describes his wives as Pestilence, Famine and Death. This implies that he is War. A nice bit of foreshadowing there.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
Old April 19th 09, 17:23   #5
KoshN

Quote:
Just watching this now for about the fourth time. Am enjoying it a lot more picking up small things I still missed the other three times! For instance, the guy that shoots Garibaldi at the end of the season
Garibaldi's Aide (Macaulay Bruton)

Quote:
... is in the episode 'Mind War' (1.6). There are two or three sequences where he communicates telepathically with Bester,....
Well, sort of. Garibaldi's Aide is in two sequences, the first with Bester and Kelsey at the entrance to B5 when he reads Bester's identicard. There, Bester initiates contact telepathically, and Garibaldi's Aide "heard" Bester's projection into his thoughts, but he does NOT respond to Bester's questions via thought (for Bester to read), but instead responds via talking aloud, thereby annoying Bester. Didn't you notice the annoyed look on Bester's face?

The second and last scene Garibaldi's Aide has in "Mind War" is when he tells Sinclair that there are some VIPs who want to see him. In that scene, Garibaldi's Aide has no communication with Bester or Kelsey at all. He just announced them to Sinclair, and left.

Later, when Bester and Kelsey bump into two security personnel (two grunts, one male and one female) in a hallway, Bester asks what's going on, and the male (who is NOT Garibaldi's aide), responds via talking aloud that it's just a drill. I doubt either of those two security personnel intentionally divulged anything to Bester or Kelsey, any more than Garibaldi did earlier in C&C when Bester read him (sans permission, and then Garibaldi "thought" to Bester to go f*ck himself.) about the 50 quarters that needed searched.

Quote:
....and its clear on a re-watch that he is slipping Bester information about Ironheart.
I think you need to rewatch "Mind War" again.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th 09, 17:28   #6
KoshN

Quote:
It was open to intepretation. In one sequence, Jack and another security officer encounter Bester, and tell him 'its just a drill'. It was implied that Bester scanned them and found out they were lying, but given that Jack was there as a sleeper agent for Psi-Corp (he later uses the same prisoner style wave as Bester) it would be cool to assume otherwise.
That wasn't Garibaldi's Aide (Macaulay Bruton), Jack as you call him. Those were two low level security grunts, one male and one female.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
Old April 20th 09, 08:49   #7
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

I was sure it was the same guy. Will re-watch again ...

In my defence, I'm getting married this week, so my head is all over the shop.

- Charlie Brooker

Last edited by darth_librarian; April 20th 09 at 16:07.
Old April 21st 09, 00:03   #8
Raw Shark
Commander

I always thought season one was woefully underrated, that's the season where I fell in love with the series. Sure, they had a lot of kinks to work out, some of the fist fights were kind of silly, some of the guest acting not so good. But some of the best episodes were in the first season. And they drop so many hints at the future. 'Infection', the first episode filmed, is where they introduce organic technology, as well as first mentioning Earth's bio weapons programs, and their ominous obsession with obtaining new technology for planetary security. And IPX being a front for Earth's black ops programs. All these themes continue all the way through Crusade. That's just solid storytelling.

And one of my favorite things they did with the series was to use the first season to establish the B5 universe. Then they use the rest of the seasons to tear it all down, upending the way things were. Crusade had begun this process as well, it seems, just loaded with detail and ticking time bomb elements. Damn I miss that show.

And congratulations, Darth Librarian!

Raw Shark

"It's awful to see all those starving people in Africa. I mean, I would love to be that thin, but without all the flies and death and stuff."
Mariah Carey
Raw Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st 09, 23:23   #9
KoshN

Quote:
I was sure it was the same guy. Will re-watch again ...
Well?

Quote:
Oh come on, pay attention to things that are important. Mind War.
Old April 22nd 09, 14:43   #10
crazyhorse
Anarchist

Quote:

So you have finally turned to the Dark Side Darth

Congratulations are in order I suppose so congratulations on not being allowed out drinking with your mates,to look at other women and watch what you want on tv

"me and other folk were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him"

John Smeaton 2007

"You know why they're on the Internet don't you? Cos you wouldny speak to them in the fecking pub!" - Billy Connolly
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote