• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Lou Welsh

Elipsis

Regular
Quite simply... where did he go?

I'm reasonably sure that both he and Zack were around for at least a couple episodes... and then he disappears entirely midway through season 2.

Did they actor crap out? Was there a part planned for him?

He's in one of the books, but by and large I think they only had room/money for one security guard character with lines, beyond Garibaldi, and they liked Jeff Conaway more.

Same as the "fate" of that one fighter pilot who wanted proof he'd seen something strange "out there". I gather JMS even said he just didn't have any really meaningful things for him to do.

And at least he went out a hero... sort of... :LOL: An inconvenient kind of hero. ;)

The little parts have to catch on and fit in, or off they go.

Did they actor crap out? Was there a part planned for him?

All JMS has said is:

The actor playing Lou Welch wanted to do other things.

jms

So I don't think it was a budget thing. As for Zack, yes, I believe that his part was supposed to be minimal but ended up getting expanded because of Jeff Conaway's work and enthusiasm for the show.

Jan

He's in one of the books,

Legions of Fire Book II - Armies of Light and Dark
See pages 183 through 210.

Spoiler for Legions of Fire Book II - Armies of Light and Dark:

pg. 183 Garibaldi summons Lou Welch to Edgars Industries on Mars.
pg. 187 Garibaldi, Lou Welch and G'Kar going to Centauri Prime.
pg. 210 Lou Welch is killed.

Same as the "fate" of that one fighter pilot who wanted proof he'd seen something strange "out there". I gather JMS even said he just didn't have any really meaningful things for him to do.

And at least he went out a hero... sort of... :LOL: An inconvenient kind of hero. ;)

The little parts have to catch on and fit in, or off they go.

Lou went out trying to do the right thing, and as far as I'm concerned, he did catch on. He wasn't a Keffer.

All JMS has said is:

So I don't think it was a budget thing. As for Zack, yes, I believe that his part was supposed to be minimal but ended up getting expanded because of Jeff Conaway's work and enthusiasm for the show.

Jan

Gotta say, I liked Lou better. Zack was always too tentative and wishy-washy, for me. Lou was straight up, your bud. :D Remember his conversation with Garibaldi coming back to work and about the cake? Remember when he took down Garibaldi's second outside Security? :D Lou wasn't political, and that was refreshing.

Last edited:
Myself, I was a bit sad to see Lou dissapear. I agree with KoshN. Lou was the type of guy who had your back. A very likeable character. I had read or heard somewhere that the producers liked Jeff Conaway better so Lou was out the door shortly after. Its a shame, he was one of the characters you kind of get attached to a little but you do not know why.

thanks
dennis

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back