B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old March 16th 10, 23:57   #11
Trollheart
Lurker

Re: Telepaths ---season 5 -- how do you rate them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
There's a difference between making an apology for a mistake, an error or something you have done wrong, and making an apology for what you have become.

Londo isn't just apologising for the pain he caused G'Kar, he's apologising for the entire path he walked that led him to being the person who could have acted in such a way.
I know. It's just that Londo uses the words "I've never apologised for anything in my life." Kind of comprehensive...
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th 10, 00:13   #12
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ranger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshN View Post
That, cold start "Start over" of S5 was definitely a bummer. B5 got better and better every season through Season 4, and then with the beginning of Season 5, it hit the floor with a splat. It took until Byron got roasted for it to find its footing again.
I have to disagree with you there. Although I agree it didn't really get back to the level of greatness with the arc stories until halfway through the season, I think it was on top of its game with the non-arc episodes "The Long Night of Londo Mollari" and "A View From the Gallery."
As far as I'm concerned, every episode that showed Byron and the teeps he brought with him, was the worse for it. Sure, there were good threads in those episodes that didn't involve Byron and the teeps he brought with him, but, on the whole, the episode was brought down by Byron and those teeps. Once Byron and those teeps were gone, it was like a pall had been lifted off of the season. As far as Byron being ungrateful, I agree. He was usually also sullen and resentful.

I never liked "A View from the Gallery." "The Long Night of Londo Mollari" was OK.

Another problem I had with Season 5 is to do with the Byron and his teeps, Bester & Psi Corps, and Lochley. IIRC (haven't watched the eps. in a couple years.), first the teeps arrive, Bester wants to take them in, Sherdan gives them asylum, Lochley kicks Bester out, the teeps cause trouble, Lochley calls Bester back to B5, the fight begins, the teeps are leaving and then they torch themselves. Rogue teeps are coming, going, staying, going and then commit suicide. Seemed like padding to fill a season.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th 10, 00:26   #13
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
As for the other telepaths being "bit players", I don't see that. If the idea is to have a colony, you can't have one guy (and later his bit of fluff) plus many extras, especially when JMS had seemingly tried to make us interested in the teeps with, again, Simon. He even had Byron introduce some, and make some comments which, on the face of it, could have led to interesting experiences. But nothing came of any of them.
Similarly, in Crusade's "War Zone," almost all of the medical team was introduced (by Senator McQuate to Capt. Gideon), and we never saw or heard about any of them ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
It's almost like he decided it was too much bother, or not a good idea to introduce us to the telepaths, and sadly, because he did this, there was no-one for the viewer to judge them by except (say it with me) Byron.
And who would possibly empathise with him?
Quite how he became their leader is beyond me. Did all the teeps have a "sulk-off", and he won?
Sounds about right. OTOH, maybe he was just their strongest teep, and the one most likely to be able to stand up to Bester. Byron was a P-12.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; March 17th 10 at 00:30.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th 10, 11:55   #14
maneth
Ambassador

I never liked the telepath arc much, and Byron only made things worse. I just wanted Bester to come and take them away most of the time.
Old March 24th 10, 08:19   #15
Lousy_Dodgers
Commander

I am curious if JMS has ever addressed Byron's unpopularity with many B5 fans at a convention. Did the fan reaction surprise him? To an extent, I think the response to Byron is intended as originally, we were supposed to see Bryon as the wrong person for Ivanova. If the character is too sympathetic, then audience members might not draw that conclusion.

Someone mentioned that there originally were to be more telepath episodes but I think that is opposite what had been planned. My understanding was that the telepath arc was to have been much shorter as what we saw as the closing episodes of season 4 would have served as the opening to season 5.
Lousy_Dodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th 10, 12:23   #16
vorlonlovechild
Commander

I just thought the whole 'telepath' arc was hillarious. Worst part of B5 for me.

We will all come together in a better place"? lol
Old March 30th 10, 04:32   #17
dreamer
Ranger

I've had that "we all come together..." playing in my head this whole damn morning.

I have a theory. The actors who played the telepaths acted that way because they hoped that they'd go unnoticed (and through that get paid) by the production crew and sent home because the whole damn idea stank like a dead nakaleen.
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th 10, 14:50   #18
Recoil
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousy_Dodgers View Post
I am curious if JMS has ever addressed Byron's unpopularity with many B5 fans at a convention. Did the fan reaction surprise him? To an extent, I think the response to Byron is intended as originally, we were supposed to see Bryon as the wrong person for Ivanova. If the character is too sympathetic, then audience members might not draw that conclusion.
Whoever said Byron was SUPPOSED to be popular? Maybe he was received by fans just as he was meant to be. An oddly annoying, poetic, cultist, hippie.

I think the actor nailed the role very well, and it came off exactly as it should. We weren't supposed to like Byron. If anything, we were supposed to watch how cults are created. I don't think we were supposed to like him like Zathras or Markas.
Old March 30th 10, 20:25   #19
A_M_Swallow
First One

[QUOTE=Recoil;358882]
Quote:
I think the actor nailed the role very well, and it came off exactly as it should. We weren't supposed to like Byron. If anything, we were supposed to watch how cults are created. I don't think we were supposed to like him like Zathras or Markas.
Cult leaders have to be likeable otherwise no one would follow them.
Old March 30th 10, 20:35   #20
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_M_Swallow View Post
Quote:
Cult leaders have to be likeable otherwise no one would follow them.
Byron was likable to his cult. They were all opporessed and abused telepaths looking for equal rights and he was showing them the way to fight for that equality. Cult leaders don't have to be appealing to the masses, only to their target audience

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote