B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old December 18th 08, 20:08   #21
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: Teep homeworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Baxter View Post
And in the ep where Delenn cremates that Mimbari Captain - they were afraid the Pak'ma'ra ate the captain. So I would think they do eat people.

However, good point...maybe someone else has more information on the Pak'ma'ra???
I'll check the League of Non-Alligned Worlds document when I get home. I believe there's substantial information about the pak'ma'ra in that.

The bit about having the pak'ma'ra stomachs pumped in "Legacies" always bothered me. Wouldn't that have been a major incident when all they had was a piece as evidence of the robe?? I can see forcing *one* pak'ma'ra to get his stomach pumped if they had evidence of him being a (for lack of a better term) cannibal-of-sentients, but *every* single one on the station? I think that was one of those things written for story convenience, not for logic.

ETA: Okay, I've looked at the League document and it says::
Quote:
They are carrion-eaters, subsisting solely off dead, putrefying animal flesh, usually once a week. It is not a pleasant sight.
Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole

Last edited by Jan; December 18th 08 at 23:22.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st 08, 23:11   #22
B5_Obsessed
First One

Quote:
They are carrion-eaters, subsisting solely off dead, putrefying animal flesh, usually once a week.
But not the fish of the sea.
B5_Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd 08, 06:19   #23
fisheggs
Techno-mage

So, Charley the Tuna is safe?

"Humor is such a subjective thing."

"My momma didn't raise no fools: We raised ourselves!"
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th 09, 08:36   #24
maneth
Ambassador

This is really interesting! The problem with the Teeps in general and Byron in particular was that they couldn't think in the long term. Perhaps Draal could have been persuaded to host the Teeps until the Markab homeworld could be declared safe?
Old December 1st 09, 19:12   #25
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Not that there seems to be any shortage of habitable worlds in the B5 universe, but:

There appeared to be well less than 100 people in Byron's group, easily within the abilities of the ISA to transport them to Markab. Even with billions of dead, it was three years by that point, and most of the worst of the problem would be over. Even so, there were unquestionably been the equivalent of, say, polynesian islands with little or no population that could support people indefinitely.

Drop the teeps off on one of these, give 'em supplies and survival manuals and come back to check on 'em occasionally. By the time their numbers have swelled to the point that the islands can't hold 'em, the continents will be fine again.

The lack of a jumpgate could actually be an attractive quality.
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st 09, 22:10   #26
Jan
Psi Cop

Do we know whether any of the plant and animal life on Markab would be edible and/or nutritious for humans (okay, there's orcha juice but we don't know if it's nutritious)? What do we know about the climate? The Markab obviously had much thicker hides than humans so perhaps they thought that a nice brisk sandstorm was the best of weather. That could follow since they don't have nostrils.

Also, with no jumpgate, do we know how long it would take to travel there in normal space from the nearest remaining jumpgate?

I think it wasn't so much a matter of finding a habitable planet for the telepaths, though. It was that the Alliance would be giving in to blackmail if they did. Sheridan couldn't give in to that demand any more than he could bargain with the hostage-takers in Medlab.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd 09, 02:40   #27
Jade Jaguar
First One

Well, it wasn't blackmail at the outset. Everyone but Clark and his admin. owed the teeps their lives. I agree with Republibot, a solution could, and should, have been found. But, I think even blackmail can be overlooked when it comes from a group fleeing extermination, and to whom so much is owed. Just as the way Lyta was treated, the treatment the teeps received was quite out of character for the B5 staff, well, except for Lochley.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd 09, 04:49   #28
A_M_Swallow
First One

Byron panicked and forced Sheridan into a corner. His actions then proceeded to make an enemy out of every race on Babylon 5, so they were not going to give him anything. The war telepaths may be owed a reward for their actions in the Shadow War but Byron's group were pacifists - they did not take part.
Old December 2nd 09, 04:57   #29
Jade Jaguar
First One

They got tough after they had failed with more reasonable methods.

They, like all teeps, were created by the Vorlons, to be used as weapons.

They didn't become pacifists until after the war. Rember, Byron was one of the worst of the lot of Psicorps.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

"I know that the hypnotized never lie... Do ya?"
Pete Townshend 1971

FREE LEONARD PELTIER
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd 09, 05:42   #30
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Yeah, Byron panicked/overreacted. I keep saying, if he'd gone to Delenn...

As to the treatment of Lyta and the other teeps: I don't think it's totally out of character. Sheridan and Garibaldi had been shown to be quite wary of telepaths quite early on, and they'd been walking all over Lyta for a long time -- perhaps because she let them, perhaps because they had reason to be suspicious of her (first a teep, then a rebel teep, then someone who's been to the Vorlon homeworld and won't talk about it, finally a teep who's completely off-the-charts powerful). She was an unknown quantity for quite some time, and they never let themselves get close to her. Probably their failing. Ivanova, of course, would have been even more wary than any of them.

Delenn no doubt would have been kinder to Lyta, but they weren't often in contact. It's made clear on numerous occasions that Zach's the only one Lyta might even begin to call a friend, before Byron turns up.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote