B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old June 10th 08, 11:50   #291
Cell
Telepath

Re: What are you watching now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_Fever View Post
Oz was good. I enjoyed it. It had its moments where I went wtf? It's amazing how many actors from Oz appear on some incarnation of Law and Order.
There was a specific reason for the cross correlation of actors. I believe one of the producers of Oz was also a producer for some of the L&O's and so he would use actors for both shows.
"When you have reached the end of the road then you can decide whether to go to the left or the right, to fire or to water. If you make those decisions before you have even set foot upon the road it will take you nowhere." - Galen
Cell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th 08, 12:25   #292
Ranger1
Telepath

off the recommendation of some guys i play dungeons and dragons with i just started watching "The Unit".

it is very cool.

"when ejaculating, it is considered gentlemanly to avoid the eyes"

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
Ranger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th 08, 04:01   #293
Alluveal
Psi Cop

D&D rocks. I miss it! Hard to play when you have a tot.

I finished season 1 of House. I started watching around season 3, so I have another one to go to get caught up. Love that show.

Umm, just got Michael Clayton from Netflix. I'll watch that tomorrow.
Alluveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th 08, 08:36   #294
maneth
Ambassador

Currently watching Star Trek TNG on DVD. I did catch the occasional episode on its original run, but I wasn't a regular viewer. Interesting stories and some character development too, but I admit it suffers from the "episode reboot" problem of all Treks, i.e. that what happens in one episode is usually completely forgotten by the next one, unless an earlier happening directly affects what happens later. Just about the only exception to this rule is Picard's Borg nightmares from being assimilated.
Old July 20th 08, 08:58   #295
vacantlook

I watched the four-part series finale of Avatar The Last Airbender tonight.

It was DAMN good! [faints from all the awesome]
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th 08, 14:44   #296
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneth View Post
Currently watching Star Trek TNG on DVD. I did catch the occasional episode on its original run, but I wasn't a regular viewer. Interesting stories and some character development too, but I admit it suffers from the "episode reboot" problem of all Treks, i.e. that what happens in one episode is usually completely forgotten by the next one, unless an earlier happening directly affects what happens later. Just about the only exception to this rule is Picard's Borg nightmares from being assimilated.
Well, I think there are some minor examples. First of all, Picard is shown to play his flute from time to time. In one episode he plays it quite a bit, with a significant other who is an avid musician. And doesn't the entire Worf-being-disinherited, Klingons- at- the- verge- of- civil- war arc count in your mind?
Old July 20th 08, 14:48   #297
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Data references his relationship with Tasha Yar several times posthumously throughout the series.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th 08, 19:23   #298
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

The Borg stories were good are following up on previous stuff. There were arcs there, they were just hard to finfd ...

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st 08, 14:09   #299
hypatia
First One

I don't know if they can be called "arcs" though. Memories, or something, definitely. Continuity, definitely. But I thought a plot "arc" implied somehow that the entire story line was effected in some way by the events. Every single episode of TNG wasn't radically effected by the (wonderful) Borg episodes. Some were, like one of their best ("Brothers" or "Family" whatever the title was when Picard visits his brother on Earth). But then the next episode would proceed for the most part uneffected by these events. Then an episode would come up that referred to this, and it would pop up again as a "memory" or whatever you want to call it.

The amazing thing abotu B5 is how the entire plot was sort of ebbing and flowing towards certain HUGE events. Then, once shown, those events effected almost everything that followed. Unless I'm romanticizing the series with a dimming memory, that's part of what made B5 as a series stand out.
Old July 21st 08, 15:04   #300
GKarsEye
First One

If nothing else, TNG has to get credit for probably having the 2nd biggest cliffhanger of all time with The Best of Both Worlds. #1 of course being Dallas' "who shot J.R." thing.

I finally watched the two Malcolm McDowell films Jade mentioned earlier, If... and O Lucky Man. Interesting of-its-time pieces. I think I'm gonna just add McDowell's filmography to my netflix queue.
"Most smart people cannot watch most TV, because it has generally been a condescending medium, explaining everything immediately, offering no ambiguities, and using dialogue that simplifies and mitigates against the idiosyncratic ways in which people in different worlds actually communicate. It eventually requires that characters from different places talk the same way as the viewer. This, of course, sucks." - David Simon
GKarsEye is offline   Reply With Quote