• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: The Face Of The Enemy

Lines Of Communication

• C -- Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
just finished the episode. I give it an A

a few questions though:

What song playing the background in the bar scene? there was slow ballad type singer and then a faster rock song. Anyone know? Lurkers Guide was no help...

What song playing the background in the bar scene? there was slow ballad type singer and then a faster rock song. Anyone know? Lurkers Guide was no help...

I believe it's an original composition created specifically for the show, just like the song Cailyn sings in "Walkabout".

This is one of those episodes where you can see the trouble coming but there's seemingly no way to stop it.

People keep metioning that Sheridan has changed, gotten harder, since he came back from Z'ha'dum. Can that Sheridan really have been so naíve as to believe that Garibaldi was acting in his interest, or did he anticipate the inevitable betrayal? If so, did he know in advance that he would come through all right, or did he just see his responsibiliy for his father as something so important that he didn't want to avoid it?

Garibaldi feels his own actions as a betrayal, with his comment about the thirty pieces of silver - a reference to Judas Iscariot, the disciple who betrayed Jesus. How will he feel about himself now that he realizes he's been used?

The bar scene has some nice effects, both visually (like a strobe light) and the sound effects. The violence used is disturbing, especially in contrast with the lying news being sent by ISN. I wonder - how did Delenn feel that something was happening so far away?

The flashback given by Bester finally clears up the mystery of what happened to Garibaldi. I find it interesting to see Harlan Ellison as a PsiCop in that scene!

Garibaldi feels his own actions as a betrayal, with his comment about the thirty pieces of silver - a reference to Judas Iscariot, the disciple who betrayed Jesus. How will he feel about himself now that he realizes he's been used?

I'm sure you're asking that rhetorically, but two words: he'll drink.

The bar scene has some nice effects, both visually (like a strobe light) and the sound effects. The violence used is disturbing, especially in contrast with the lying news being sent by ISN. I wonder - how did Delenn feel that something was happening so far away?

Stylistically this is one of the best scenes in B5--albeit also one of the most devastating to a beloved character, up there with the death of Kosh, the torturing of G'Kar, or the "Keepering" of Londo.

The flashback given by Bester finally clears up the mystery of what happened to Garibaldi. I find it interesting to see Harlan Ellison as a PsiCop in that scene!

I sometimes wonder if Bester told Garibaldi what he did, right after he fulfilled his objective with Edgars, in some hope that he may actually try to rescue Sheridan. At that point, Bester had good reason to distrust, if not outright oppose, the Clark regime (for what it, at the Shadows' behest, had done with many of Earth's telepaths). Remember he had already worked with Sheridan in an action to undermine the regime (informing him of that planned false-flag attack on civilian ships so he could foil it), in exchange for recovering those teep-CPUs being shipped to Z'ha'dum. There would be no guarantee that Garibaldi could rescue Sheridan, but he might have not cared too much but was willing to give him the chance. I don't think Bester ever forgave Clark for how he used and disposed of his beloved telepaths, and he no longer saw the regime as favorable to his overriding goal to advance the human telepaths (with himself leading them). He might have seen Sheridan as a useful counterforce to Clark--and probably didn't anticipate that Garibaldi's key to the inside of Edgars' organization would be betrayal of Sheridan, at any rate.

Or, he told Garibaldi as soon as he could, just to taunt him. Maybe for both reasons though.

Edit: Seems I somewhat confused "Ship of Tears" for "Epiphanies"--the latter had Bester informing of the planned false-flag, in exchange for a trip to Z'ha'dum to try to recover Shadow tech that could help free the teeps in deep-freeze on B5. But the point stands--Bester was no friend of Clark at that point, and might have seen Sheridan as a useful counterforce to him.

Last edited:
Another good one with a lot going on ...

There's the fight for Earth continuing on with some cool-looking space battle stuff. It's interesting that some in command of the Earth ships really believe that they will be executed if they surrender. I'm assuming they must have seen some rather convincing evidence of that.

I like the tense scenes on Mars with the frozen telepaths and the resistance. Number 1 is quite harsh with Lyta, but I'd be pretty annoyed too, if I were in her position. This still builds up the telepath story we don't yet know about.

Sheridan being captured is pretty hard to watch. I really like the visual style of that bit, and the music that is playing in the bar. It works well.

Edgars reveals his evil plan, and that is the catalyst for the big Garibaldi reveal we had to wait for all season. It's a relief to have that all out there, and to have Garibaldi back to normal, although I suppose we don't know where that's going to go. Interestingly, aside from his transmitter tooth, Garibaldi seems to have some very 20th-century-looking fillings, which we get to see when he screams after Bester "releases" him.

I can't really feel too bad about Edgars' and Wade's untimely ends ...

This is one of those episodes where you can see the trouble coming but there's seemingly no way to stop it.
True. Events just keep rolling towards some inevitable ending.

Estelyn said:
People keep metioning that Sheridan has changed, gotten harder, since he came back from Z'ha'dum. Can that Sheridan really have been so naíve as to believe that Garibaldi was acting in his interest, or did he anticipate the inevitable betrayal?
What I've said before: why didn't anyone (except for Zack. Go Zack!!) suspect anything about Garibaldi? At least Ivanova had know him for several years. Did no-one notice his behaviour was weird?
Sheridan's change. About that: yes, some people kept saying he changed but how exactly? Also, what was he supposed to do, then? Coming back from Z'ha'dum he returned to an all-out war, and the second that was resolved, people were trying to shut down B5, ISN makes 'fake news' like nobody's business, etc. Just what was Sheridan supposed to do but be tough, hard, decisive like never before? His death-experience likely traumatized him (or not - I don't know) but at no point did he have any luxury time to think that through properly. He had to survive the experience, in order to help others survive the war(s).
Yeah, I get that Garibaldi's opinion on Sheridan was twisted by psi-cops 'heightening' his suspicious nature but still, I never understood how G could've gotten "Messiah syndrome" or whatever out of Sheridan's behaviour.

I, too, liked the bar scene. The music, lights, no dialogue. I tried to remember what movies the scene reminded me of. I'm sure people with background in film studies would be able to label the scene with a name of a style, or something. Anyhow, it was very effective and upsetting.

Alioth said:
I sometimes wonder if Bester told Garibaldi what he did, right after he fulfilled his objective with Edgars, in some hope that he may actually try to rescue Sheridan.

Or, he told Garibaldi as soon as he could, just to taunt him. Maybe for both reasons though.
Both are possible, absolutely. The latter because of Bester is mischievous enough to do that. The first - well, this option was foremost on my mind when I watched that scene. If G were to save Sheridan, it would actually serve Bester's interests as it would surely upset Clark.

Even though the episode became rather heavy, I enjoyed Lyta's facial expressions when Number One first checks "the cargo". Just look at her face! It's priceless:LOL:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back