• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

EpDis: Moments Of Transition

The Illusion Of Truth

• C -- Average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D -- Poor

• F -- Failure

• Total voters
he had this moment as an option for actually killing off Delenn

I'm sitting here trying to imagine the rest of this story without Delenn.... :( I can't do it.

The rest of the story, when you think about it, doesn't actually need Delenn. The main plot lines left after this were the conclusion of the Earth civil war, the telepath colony crisis, and the fall of the Centauri. The only important thing Delenn was involved with was the formation of the Interstellar Alliance. However, it was implied that even that was planned along with Sheridan, so Delenn wasn't really that important afterwards.

An A for the Minbari civil war sequence and also for the intense ending decision. Lyta really gets the shaft here, and Garibaldi heads even farther down a dark road, it's a pretty strong episode emotionally.

I agree, this episode is very emotional, very gripping. There are so many things going on simultaneously, yet the threads are skilfully intertwined without getting tangled.

Garibaldi is being played without realizing it. He thinks he's working independently, but this episode shows us that Edgars and PsiCorps are working together. Lyta is the one who obviously suffers as a result - her tears when putting on the PsiCorps symbols are heart-wrenching.

The "Mr. Adams" client is actually Scott Adams, the "Dilbert" cartoonist. I find it very amusing, a comical moment that combines his real person with his cartoons (Dogbert and Catbert, anyone?!) yet fits into the B5 world. Apparently he's been a fan of the show all along.

Zack has developed very well, grown into his responsibility. He accepts the unpleasant jobs that go with his position and carries through with them. It's nice to see the growing friendship between him and Lyta; he wishes for something more, obviously, and she's grateful for some kindness after being rejected by so many others.

Ah, and Bester again - wonderfully devious, skilfully achieving his purposes...

The Minbar plot is the most important, of course, with far-reaching effects on the future. We see a very strongly contrasting attitude on the part of the leaders of the religious and warrior castes. Shakiri doesn't care about individuals, especially not for those of his people who are not of his caste, claims to regard death and life as equal, but when it comes to putting his money where his mouth is, he fails completely.

This episode shows Neroon's true colours after the last one ended with him looking like a traitor. He is the hero of the day, and with his "death-bed conversion" gives Delenn the necessary power to reunite their people. He has learned to see clearly, with wisdom. It is a shame to lose him though...

As for Delenn, she does what we've seen Sinclair and Sheridan do before - beating them by the book. Since Shakiri reverts to the old ways, pre-Valen, she goes all the way and challenges him. Her courage and willingness to sacrifice herself for the good of her people - the whole people - is deeply moving. And her decision to give the working caste more power in the rebuilt Council shows great wisdom.

The question arises - who is to be "The One", who will stand in the middle of the circle? I'm betting on David Sheridan, since John and Delenn's child is supposed to have a special role in the future.

Minbar has achieved peace - but Earth is now heading for war. The inhumane actions - paralleling the attitude of Shakiri and the warrior caste - no longer allow Sheridan, Ivanova and the rest to wait.

I really like this episode. I'm a big fan of the Minbari civil war storyline, but everything else in this episode is high quality stuff as well.

I'm assuming the reason Delenn didn't include Lennier in her plotting with Neroon is that she knew he would have tried to stop her from sacrificing herself in the Starfire wheel. She told Neroon she would step out after Shakiri did, and he apparently believed her. Lennier never would have believed her. Incidentally whose honor was she protecting by telling that particular lie? She gave Lennier her instructions right before she stepped into the wheel so there wasn't time for him to figure out what she was planning, or to do anything about it. It's interesting that Delenn knew beforehand that Shakiri would step out of the fire. I guess Neroon told her, based on what he knew of Shakiri's character. And, from what we see here, it's kind of a mystery to me how this guy ended up a warrior caste leader.

It's sad there will be no more Neroon, but it was a fitting end for him. Perhaps his last minute conversion was a tad on the dramatic side, but I suppose he was in a great deal of pain while he stood there yelling about how the calling of his heart was religious. And, it fixed everything.

Mr. Bester, like Marcus has a thing for 19th century literature, it would appear. Any story with Bester is interesting. This one is no exception. I'm kind of interested to know how Lyta can tell when Bester is scanning Garibaldi. Obviously, since she's been "enhanced" by the Vorlons she has all kinds of talents we know nothing about, but .. how? Wouldn't she have to be in Garibaldi's head herself to see someone else poking around in there? Or would Bester's presence in Garibaldi's mind disturb the "background noise" to a sufficient extent that she'd be able to tell immediately?

It's sad seeing Lyta get screwed over by everyone. Her job is indeed a thankless one. Can't get a job, and now forced to move to smaller quarters. That scene at the end where she's looking in the mirror, with her new psi corps badge, putting on her gloves is heartbreaking indeed.

Exciting stuff at the end, the war against Earth is on!

She told Neroon she would step out after Shakiri did, and he apparently believed her. Lennier never would have believed her. Incidentally whose honor was she protecting by telling that particular lie?

Neroon's in a way, I think. She had to deceive him because otherwise, as a member of the Warrior Caste, it could have been said that he'd helped engineer her death. That's what I've always thought, anyway.

Jan

Neroon: sad to see him go. He had charisma and presence. Even back in earlier episodes when he was really on the opposing side, I felt that Neroon had integrity. However his views seemed 'wrong', at least it felt that he truly thought he was right and had his people's best interests at heart.
With that in mind, for me it seemed 'wrong' that Neroon declared himself 'religious' at the end. (I get why he had to do so, for reasons which have been dealt with in this thread). For me, Neroon was what a true Warrior should have been in any case.

Garibaldi: I'm both worried and annoyed by his situation. Also, I like him a lot so I just feel bad for him and really hope the situation is solved soon. This is the third round of B5 for me but the previous "cycle" was almost ten years ago, and I cannot remember what exactly happens.
Furthermore, I can't understand why no-one else seems baffled or suspicious about Garibaldi. Zack is the only one who keeps saying G is not himself and that something's wrong. (I do like Zack. He's the generic "good guy" - not so much with a grand personality but simply a stand-up guy trying to do his best).

Estelyn said:
The "Mr. Adams" client is actually Scott Adams, the "Dilbert" cartoonist. I find it very amusing, a comical moment that combines his real person with his cartoons (Dogbert and Catbert, anyone?!) yet fits into the B5 world. Apparently he's been a fan of the show all along.
Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't recognize Adams. I'm a huge fan of Dilbert, and anyway the whole tiny scene was quite entertainingly absurd:LOL:

Bester: is there anyone in B5 fandom who doesn't like Bester? Intelligent, scary, ruthless, and sarcastic. What's not to love:D

Lyta: I'm not a big fan of Lyta but this episode was a good one. I think Tallman did a good job here. Lyta was backed into a corner, with nowhere decent to go. I join the others in this thread who've said that the scene with Lyta & mirror was heart-wrenching.

And now the war is really on.

(this is my first posting here! hello you all fellow B5 fans:) )

Bester: is there anyone in B5 fandom who doesn't like Bester? Intelligent, scary, ruthless, and sarcastic. What's not to love

Whenever I see Walter on a TV show, I immediately think Bester, not Checkov. As much as I like Star Trek, he was never given that much to sink his teeth into in that role. As Bester, he was allowed to show that he's actually a good actor.

Almost finished S4 now while doing a re-watch with my wife who has never seen B5. Just dropping a line here to share my appreciation for this absolute barnburner of an episode. Could very well be my favorite of them all. For all the reasons Estelyn already mentioned above. Neroon was such a good character... <3

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back