• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Wars: Episodes VII-IX

I'm interested but not overly so. I get the impression they are ignoring the extended universe stuff like the books and comics. That's perfectly fine with me, although I wouldn't mind them paying homage to some of that stuff, like the Zahn novels.

I'm interested but not overly so. I get the impression they are ignoring the extended universe stuff like the books and comics. That's perfectly fine with me, although I wouldn't mind them paying homage to some of that stuff, like the Zahn novels.

No matter how much they scream and shout about "The comics are canon" or "The novels are canon" or "The cartoons are canon,", or whatever, they never really are. They're always just a way to keep the brand name alive.

Imagine you're JJ Abrams, and you're making Star Wars 7: when you're scripting out your hundred-and-fifty-million-dollar epic, are you REALLY gonna' let yourself be hamstrung by episode 7 of "Droids?" or "The Ewok Adventure" TV movie? Or some random novel that 90% of your audience has never heard of, let alone read, and which has been out of print for 20 years?

Nope. You're gonna' say "Screw all that," and the only things you're going to take as canon are the previous 6 movies.

This isn't just a Star Wars thing. Trek, Dr. Who, Galactica 1980, Brian Singer's abortive Galactica, Caprica, even B5: they all do it.

UNRELATED: I saw Mark Hammil on "Chuck" the other night. If he's going to be in SW7 without bringing the house down laughing, they're seriously going ot have to send him to a fat farm! Wow.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back