• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Holographic display and pilots

Lobisome

Have you ever realized that we've only seen this Holographic stuff in pilots?

I mean, Del Varner (I mean, the other guy) used this Holographic display to sneak into B5 people without being disturbed (B5: The Gathering).

Why no one used it again in 5
(even more) years until Malcolm Bridges in B5: LotR?

Just a question, not a complain.

I'm sure I'll love the movie as soon as God takes it to Spain.

wink.gif

------------------
I'm latin and cursed to loose all my hair in a time... so I'd be some Garibaldi's relative O:)

I can think of two explanations:

1. Changeling nets are illegal on most worlds, difficult to manufacture, expensive and dangerous for your health (if used for extended periods of time). Besides, their powerful energy source makes them detectable.

2. Commonly available changeling nets would provide a too powerful plot device. Everybody would keep asking: "but why didn't they use a changeling net"?

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited January 24, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lennier:
I can think of two explanations:

2. Commonly available changeling nets would provide a too powerful plot device. Everybody would keep asking: "but why didn't they use a changeling net"?
[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited January 24, 2002).][/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sounds quite good..

Also... I've just realized that both holo-devices are from minvari origin!!!

And the minvari rulez on Holo-stuff...

I like it
laugh.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> ... used this Holographic display to sneak into B5 people without being disturbed (B5: The Gathering).

Why no one used it again in B5? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because the thing was slowly Killing the guy wearing it.

We can only assume that the one now being used in Rangers is an improved version that Doesn't kill the wearer or drive him insane.
Those darn side effects...

BTW, your post seems to assume the net was of Minbari origin. It wasn't.
The guy Wearing it was Minbari, but the net was smuggled on to B5 by Del Varner and delivered to him.

It was never stated What race built the net.
Just that they were Illegal because of what they did to people using them.
I suspect no one minded them Dying so much.
But since they went Insane first and did a lot of damage to innocent bystanders...

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

I would love to have a holographic interface. Cool ones include -

-The holosuits of course (Del Varner and Malcolm)

-The ones the Minbari use to view battles (or the Ranger Council used to view the ship record)

-The White Stars holographic viewer (as well as the Liandra) (Something cool about saying "Show me.", and seeing it instantly)

-The thing the guy from the future used on Enterprise.

-Holodecks/Holosuites on Star Trek

-The shuttles on Earth: Final Conflict.

And of course
-The Weapons pod on the Liandra

Sorry, 3 of those were non-B5, but cool nonetheless.

------------------
"We live for the one, we die for the one."

Malcom used a different device, probably an advanced version or atleast based on a changeling net.

I guess it's only for special people.

So you are all losers, except for me, because I say so.

Yippy Skippy for me!

------------------
Let's build a snowman! He'll be our best friend! We can make him tall, or we can make him NOT so tall! WE CAN NAME HIM SHANNON BILLY BOB OR JILL!-Swan 'Cannibal:The Musical'

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:

Because the thing was slowly Killing the guy wearing it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tell it to any fanatic in any world, real or ficticional. I mean, this un-safe stuff about the holo-net would avoid common soldiers and so to use it. But a terrorist has no problem about being killed in action...

Anyway, i agree your explanation, and we could add something that it is not some stuff easy to get.

I'll post a question on B5:LotR discussion to get some info about the new holo-device (I won't whatch this movie in a lot of time, ya know Spain is different and far far away
frown.gif
)
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
(...)
BTW, your post seems to assume the net was of Minbari origin. It wasn't.
The guy Wearing it was Minbari, but the net was smuggled on to B5 by Del Varner and delivered to him.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, you're right. it was mistake remembering "B5: The Gathering"

Minbari are the masters of holo-stuff in B5 universe, but there is no direct connection between this device of B5:tG and them

I think that the changling net might be the more advanced of the two. It could be that the changling net also has the abuility to mask the user's life signs. My thinking for this is that in The Gathering after they locating the energy of the changling net they dont bother to ask what kind of life sign was associated with it. After they started looking for killer all he would have to do to hide would be to turn it off and mingle with the rest of the population. The holosuite may only be able to hide the users apperance and not their lifesigns.

------------------

I've found another mention to a holo-device-like in "war prayer".

Those bygots who try to kill this minbari poet use a suit that disguises them into shadows.

I think there is some unknown law on B5 universe:
Any thing or being exists as long as it is interesting stuff to the story.

And I like it
wink.gif

------------------
I'm latin and cursed to loose all my hair in a time... so I'd be some Garibaldi's relative O:)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back