• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Indy IV starts shooting....

He doesn't even look old in some of the scenes. After 19 years, it's uncanny.

SPOILER

The bad guys are after the crate marked "Roswell, NM"

There was a group here in Memphis that wanted to place one in the top of the Memphis Pyramid. Pyramids, according to some, are valves over tuluric (sp?) currents, or energy currents, of the earth. These currents, when let loose via a pyramid without a spirit (the ancient pharoahs were these) to control it, it could wreak havoc, amplifying any other energy that comes on contact with it.

I can't speak to the truth of this belief, however, having lived in Memphis both before and after the building of the pyramid, I can tell you there is a noticable difference in the mood of the city. When it's bad, it's really bad and when it's good, it's really good. Though it is usually bad.

As for the crystal skull that was to be placed in the top of the pyramid that sits on the shore of the Mississippi River (rivers are major tuluric currents)? The religious right went nuts and demanded that the evil satanic item be removed immediately. It was.

CE

I think there are experiments you can do where by placing a tomato underneath pyramid instead of say... a cube, the fruit decays at a slower rate.

Something I read as a kid.

I think there are experiments you can do where by placing a tomato underneath pyramid instead of say... a cube, the fruit decays at a slower rate.

Something I read as a kid.

Sounds like The Secrets of the Great Pyramid, by Peter Tompkins, IIRC. It's been a few decades since I read that one. He also wrote The Secret Life of Plants. He also claimed that if you put razor blades in a pyramid, they would stay sharp...

According to whom, morons?

Was that really necessary? I thought you were above that kind of response.

These beliefs have been around since ancient times. It is part of the belief system of the Egyptians. That's part of why they buried Pharoahs in the pyramids was to control the power coming from it. The Pharoah would act as a conscience or valve for the energy that would flow out. He would direct it.

But without this spirit to guide the energy it just runs rampant and amplifies anything it comes in contact with.

I'm not saying you have to believe it, but some people do. I'm not sure what, if any of it, I believe, but I can tell you that since the pyramid was built here, the city has been very different. Cause and effect? Maybe...who knows. But there it is.

CE

CE, this whole "energy" of places did not die w/ ancient Egypt- if only it had, along with the Olympic gods and Mayan human sacrifice. There are scheisters who live near some of these places and charge morons tons of money to perform silly, hippy rituals to harness bullshit "energy" and rip them off. It's ridiculous.

CE, this whole "energy" of places did not die w/ ancient Egypt- if only it had, along with the Olympic gods and Mayan human sacrifice. There are scheisters who live near some of these places and charge morons tons of money to perform silly, hippy rituals to harness bullshit "energy" and rip them off. It's ridiculous.

I'm only relaying an historical ideology. Please, don't jump me!

Unless you're a hot guy and you mean it!

CE

Yeah I know, man, I'm sorry if I came off harsh. I actually love this old mythology stuff and have my own ideas about how modern religion should be infused with classical and pagan mythology (way outside the scope of this thread) so I don't hate it, it's just how some people take it out of context and rip each other off.

I just survived a holiday weekend with the family and sat through stories and ideas about how peacock feathers are evil, how dreams can predict the future, that the nature of a person is determined by what the mother saw while pregnant, how cows can mate with humans, etc. All based on half-canned memories, group-think and superstition. It can just be frustrating at times.

how dreams can predict the future, that the nature of a person is determined by what the mother saw while pregnant,

Dreams can't predict the future, of course, but they are really useful for understanding yourself some times, and sometimes that can help you choose what to do in the future. And oddly, that second idea has a tiny seed of truth in it. According to recent research, if pregnant mothers spend a lot of time in a state of anxiety or fear, then that does have an effect on the baby.

I'm pretty sure this isn't what those people meant, however.

And on rare occasions, coincidences happen.

Magic is for children's stories, folks.

I don't know...I've got a doosy of a dream that came true. It could've been coincidence but if it was...it's a damn good coincidence. Not going into it unless it's requested, but I have to say...I have had it happen.

CE

Sounds like The Secrets of the Great Pyramid, by Peter Tompkins, IIRC. It's been a few decades since I read that one. He also wrote The Secret Life of Plants. He also claimed that if you put razor blades in a pyramid, they would stay sharp...

Just FYI, the MythBusters' build team tested this one, and while they're not the most thorough bunch, the results were pretty conclusive against all of Tompkins' claims.

Just sayin'...

--mcn

Just FYI, the MythBusters' build team tested this one, and while they're not the most thorough bunch, the results were pretty conclusive against all of Tompkins' claims.

Just sayin'...

--mcn

You're just sayin', and I'm not disagreein'. I guess my skepticism, meant to be conveyed by the absurd claim about razor blades, didn't come through strong enough.

I don't believe in coincidences. I'm more a believer in synchronicity (to steal from Jung.) I think we certainly can have prophetic dreams and with the level of detail that arises, I cannot toss it up to coincidence. Then again, I'm more an "I don't know, but maybe" kind of person.

I am currently working toward getting certified in Jungian dream analysis through a local Jungian Institute chapter. I had some experience with it in college (minor = religious studies,) but I agree that it can really help you look within and obtain a vast wealth of information about the self.

I've always found dreams fascinating. Jung also found that schizophrenics dream of very mundane things: I go to the store. I get groceries. I come home and put them in the cupboards. I make myself a sandwich. I watch television. I go to bed. I get up and take a shower...... Whereas their waking reality is very much like OUR dreamworld--chaotic, mythic, confusing (think Robin Williams in The Fisher King...) If I remember, it's how Jung made remarkable breakthroughs with patients who had psychosis, he realized they were living life in a perpetual mythic state (our dreams being in the language of myth) and began speaking to them in their own language. (Read his autobiography for more or his book on symbols and dreams.)

I also think there are different kinds of dreams, the archetypal dreams (that teach you about yourself and take you deep within) are not terribly common. I think the most common are anxiety dreams (cannot speak/run/dial the phone) that occur when there are specific stresses in our lives --or-- processing/reviewing the day kind of dreams. The more intense dreams (archetypal, shamanic, OBE's, karmic and precognitive) are far more rare.

And, if you read Don Juan, a Yaqui Way of Knowledge, you'll learn how to control your dreams, and be self-aware during them.

Back