• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Journeyman - Update and Interesting "Industry" interview.

Recoil

Regular
So has anyone been keeping up with this show?

I watch it live every week because its the best new show this year as far as I'm concerned, and I have felt really let down by shows like Heroes that I was looking forward to their Season 2.

The stories for Journeyman have been fantastic. There is a nice overall arc developing with lots of twists and mysteries. The characterization is great, and there are a lot of wonderful moments in the shows (both character and story/theme). It also is self contained enough that each episode has its own little story while still contributing to the arc, so people probably can just jump in and check it out.

So the show hasn't been doing great in the ratings...not horrible, but not great. There were 12 episodes made, but the network won't have "room" in December to air Episode 12, which has been said could serve as a series finale if it had to (if the show gets cancelled). I think this is due to networks wanting to stop airing shows in December and start fresh with reality TV if the strike continues. And...apparently the show runners have asked repeatedly if the show is being cancelled, and the network doesn't want to say "yes it is" just yet, so it appears they are holding out hope for it, which is part of the reason for this post.

CHECK OUT THIS SHOW ON MONDAYS AT 10pm EST (December 10th and 17th as "Life" is taking its slot next week). Ratings have been climbing back up, and signs of growth could save this great show.

Now, for the other reason for this post. There was a LONG interview with the shows creator and writer, Kevin Falls, on this website, which not only gives a lot of detail about the show itself, and its possible fate (its in here he leaks the news about Episode 12 not airing in December, but being on the DVD set which is already planned) but he gives a lot of great insights to the changing "business" of network television.

Ever wonder why networks favor some shows and not others? How things are looked at? Do network executives really read message boards? Lots of good industry info in this article. I found it an interesting read.

Check the article out here:

Kevin Falls Interview

And if you so choose, check out the show on the 10th and 17th, and help keep the ratings rising!

Thanks for the link to the article. Interesting to read. :) I am starting to like JM a lot more lately now that they have kinda explained how some of it works. Last nights ep was a lot better than Hero's in my opinion. I like how there were consequences to his actions in the previous ep and how serious they were. I still wonder how he will do his job when it seems like most of his time is researching info on his journeys. I would like at least one of them turn into a good story for him or else I see him losing his job.

If only I was a nielson family rating shows right now....

To anyone interested in this follow-up. Looks like NBC "found room" for that 12th episode afterall, and it will air in December. So even if the show doesn't get picked up for next year, the first part of its story will see the small screen in its entirety.

I saw that after watching last night's ep. Too bad we didn't get any previews about what was in it but I really am starting to like this show now and hope it does well. :)

dude i watch it too, it's on over here at the moment, but i download it so i'm digging monday nights episode. i seriously hope it gets picked up for next year, it's certainly the best new show of the year, admittedly there wasn't exactly a lot of competition for the title though.

Sad to say JM will not be returning. NBC was originally holding off the 2nd part of the 2 parter in case they did renew it, thus giving them an effective cliffhanger until more could be produced. However, since it's not being picked up for a full season, NBC is showing the both parts so the show will have some feeling of conclusion.

Sad really, I really loved this show and felt it had a lot to offer. In some ways more than the show many are saying it's ripped off from, Quantum Leap. This show was more about a core of characters than one character and here he remained always himself, allowed to return home, making his journeys a mystery both in why he's there and in how and why it's happening. I will miss JM.

CE

Not that I am thinking this show will return, because I'd think by now something would have been announced. But hey, with the writers strike, normal rules don't apply. However even though I am not convinced this show is coming back next year, I don't agree with your philosophy.

Last night's episode wasn't a cliffhanger. Now last night's and tomorrow night's episodes ARE related, but not in cliffhanger fashion, its continuing the story that has been building all season anyway. The main conflict/issue in last night's episode WAS resolved. We were just left with MORE questions about the professor. So last night's episode doesn't fit as a season-ending cliff hanger.

Issue #2 is that the made all 12 of those episodes to be the first part of the season. What NBC was going to do is not allow the last one to be shown. But that last one was never meant to be in Season 1 --- it was a Season 1 ep. Frankly, it was a Season 1 mid-point ep. They planned on finishing up the first nine episodes with a couple of episodes that are related and lead into each other. To show them apart is COMPLETELY wrong, so NBC is doing the right thing by showing them both.

I don't look at this as a sign the show is not coming back. Its just them finding room to put something of theirs on the air instead of sitting on the shelf. In fact, an optimist could say that the fact they decided to show it after all is a sign that they are seeing that people are into the show and it should be allowed to be shown in its entirety.

Personally, I think it was crazy for them to even think of not showing it. Now its airing and the first half of Season 1 (or Season 1 period this year) will be complete. And next season is still "TBD" for now.

No Recoil, you don't get it...it has been reported...it ain't coming back. It's dead. NBC was going to hold off the last completed ep, since according to scripting it was the 2nd part of a 2 parter, this leaving some loose ends to pull folks back in should the series be picked up.

Unfortunatly, it isn't being picked up, so NBC is airing everything. Falls has stated that the 2nd part will serve as a pseudo-ending to the series and was intended to should it not continue, but left enough open to easily build upon should the show be picked up.

Sadly, that ain't happening now. I will miss it, though...it was a great new show and had tons of potential.

CE

Back off tex. Saying I "don't get it" is a bit fucking extreme. Its pretty clear from my note about that I didn't believe the show was returning anyway. And no where in your post did you back it up with any official announcements that the show was not coming back, and I haven't seen anything of the like. Nor did you happen to mention anywhere official announcements from NBC that they were holding off on that episode in hopes of it being a cliffhanger. Your post read ENTIRELY as conjecture, and frankly, until I see things for myself, it will be treated as such.

That said, I don't discount anything you said, just that my reasoning is perfectly legit as well, unless proven otherwise by official statements from the network.

So before you go telling me that I "don't get it"....back your shit up. Again, I'm not saying that your post isn't true, but if you are going to use a phrase like that, you better back it up.

Back off tex. Saying I "don't get it" is a bit fucking extreme. Its pretty clear from my note about that I didn't believe the show was returning anyway. And no where in your post did you back it up with any official announcements that the show was not coming back, and I haven't seen anything of the like. Nor did you happen to mention anywhere official announcements from NBC that they were holding off on that episode in hopes of it being a cliffhanger. Your post read ENTIRELY as conjecture, and frankly, until I see things for myself, it will be treated as such.

That said, I don't discount anything you said, just that my reasoning is perfectly legit as well, unless proven otherwise by official statements from the network.

So before you go telling me that I "don't get it"....back your shit up. Again, I'm not saying that your post isn't true, but if you are going to use a phrase like that, you better back it up.

Whoa! No one was attacking you, Recoil...jeesh. It was just semantics, words used for impact...not a personal slam. EEEEK! Perhaps I should've used "you don't understand." Again, not personal, just a choice of words intended for impact.

I will now look for the article from Hollywood Reporter. I delete my emails from them which is where I read it I believe so finding it might be a small task...hold on:

Ok found it from the 12th of December on THR:

Time's about up for 'Journeyman'
By Nellie Andreeva

Dec 12, 2007

The journey is coming to an end for NBC's freshman series "Journeyman."

NBC had until Tuesday to give a full-season pickup to the time-travel drama starring KevinMcKidd. The network let that option lapse, practically canceling the 20th Century Fox TV-produced series, which posted its lowest adults 18-49 rating (1.7 rating/8 share) on Monday without a "Heroes" lead-in. The network already tried out "Life" in "Journeyman'"s Monday 10 p.m. slot last week.

Despite the writers strike, "Journeyman" was able to complete its 13-episode order.

The remaining two original segments will air as scheduled, an NBC spokeswoman said.

NBC recently handed out full-season pickups to two of its four rookie scripted series, "Life" and "Chuck."

Since the production of most scripted series has been suspended because of the strike, such orders are considered a vote of confidence to the shows and a potential renewal for next season if the additional episodes can't be produced by the end of this season.

In limbo is the fate of the fourth new NBC series, the once-promising "Bionic Woman," which has been sliding in the ratings since its premiere.

Guess I should've posted it sooner. As for the earlier talk of holding back the last episode, that came from an article my roommate read and I'm not sure where it was. I took the announcement that they would air all the remaining eps as a clear decision and clear word to all that nothing's being held back because there will be no more, thus inferring the correctness of the article my roommate read.

Again, wasn't trying to attack, dude. I mean I could get mad that you're inferring I was lieing...but I just got the info for you and didn't get upset (really I'm not). Words without a voice can often times be misinterpreted, this I've learned over the years of posting here and elsewhere.

Hope all's well and I can fully understand any reluctance to having to admit that a show you've grown to love is dieing...I love JM, too and believe me this news really pissed me off.

On a side note: I'm also worried about Bionic Woman, which has a lot of potential if only they hadn't gotten a bit sidetracked after a kickass opening.

CE

Last edited:
Yea, got home from an XMas party and had a lot to drink. Wasn't in a bad mood per say, actually had a good time, except for the 90 minute traffic jam on the way home (at midnight) that was caused because a 3 lane highway being reduced to one-lane for no real reason (no work being done). There is nothing worse than driving home after a long day of partying than to get caught in a traffic jam that is worse than rush-hour at midnight for no reason. So yea, that probably slanted my view of things. That, and the alcohol. Oh well, sorry, and I have been looking for info on official news for Journeyman so your posts are good to know.

Just happy we got to see all that has been made so far.

Yea, got home from an XMas party and had a lot to drink. Wasn't in a bad mood per say, actually had a good time, except for the 90 minute traffic jam on the way home (at midnight) that was caused because a 3 lane highway being reduced to one-lane for no real reason (no work being done). There is nothing worse than driving home after a long day of partying than to get caught in a traffic jam that is worse than rush-hour at midnight for no reason. So yea, that probably slanted my view of things. That, and the alcohol. Oh well, sorry, and I have been looking for info on official news for Journeyman so your posts are good to know.

Just happy we got to see all that has been made so far.

I completely understand...nothing could ruin a fun time faster. I totally agree on lanes being shut down for no reason. When they're not working on them, they should reopen them...especially at the holidays...to much travelling.

CE

Huh, I thought Monday's ep was the last until I read about another one here. Good thing for the TiVo and my Season Pass. :D I thought they did pretty good and it was interesting to see another traveler who apparently gave his ability to Dan. I would like to see this show continue but it sounds like there isn't much of a chance huh? Figures.

Yea I really liked the last one too. Explained some stuff, there is plenty unanswered, but if the show doesn't continue, they did close things up enough that you don't feel left hanging either.

One part I really liked is where Evan, the other traveler was talking about how he made someone mad in the past and that person killed his wife...and he constantly went back trying to change it. About four episodes prior, that was almost Dan. He made someone whose life he messed with mad, that person tracked him down, and tried to kill him and his wife, so the parallels were clear and Dan certainly got the message about the dangers of what he did.

He also got taste of messing with his own life the prior ep when his son became a daughter.

It was odd though, that it appeared that Evan died right before Dan started traveling...yet Livia is traveling at the same time. The one thing that comes to mind is that Livia's "home" time is way back in the 1940s. Perhaps she truly is dead (we are just seeing her time traveling self before she passes away) and that maybe when she dies, Evan starts? It could be something linear like that...however the Professor seemed to think there were a lot more travelers but their numbers were dwindling and that "the system was breaking down"

There is certainly a lot more to what is going on, but for what we got I think it was all well done and well told.

I didn't even think of that ... Evan and Dan's pissing people off and them coming back for revenge. Totally cool parallel. I have been wondering why Dan doesn't look up Livia in the past now that he knows what time she is from. Also, it never even occurred to me until the last ep that travelers were somehow linked ... like passing the baton at a relay race.

I feel good about what we got too but wish they would continue.

Latest posts

Members online

Back