• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The One

Alluveal

Regular
I'm sure it's been discussed before, but I've always pondered something when it comes down to "The One." Zathras said that Sinclair was the one who was. Delenn was the one who is and Sheridan was the one who will be.

It's easy to see that in Sinclair / Valen. It's also easy to see how Delenn is the one who "is." However, I'm wondering about the whole Sheridan "the one who will be" deal.

In Moments of Transition, Delenn says:

"This place.. this place is reserved in memory of Neroon, until the day it is taken by the One who is to come."

It makes me wonder if Sheridan's journey is far from over. Was he the one who will be in regard to the shadow/vorlon war? or was that still Delenn? When he was taken beyond the rim, was there more for him to do? Will he come back someday? Either reincarnated into another being of another race or something else?

Just wondering how others view this.

If the three Ones are looked at from an issue of who assumed the possition of Ranger One, it happened in the order Sinclair, Delenn, Sheridan. Sinclair assumed the possition until he went back in time with B4, Delenn took it up after that until considerably in the future, and Sheridan took the position after he stepped down from President of the Interstellar Alliance (which Delenn assumed after, making it essentially the two of them trading places) and held it until he went beyond the Rim.

I always took it that "The one to take Neroon's Place" was the Ruler of Minbar (The position Dukhat held, and Delenn turned down), and that wasn't "The One". "The One" referred to the one who led took the position of Ranger One or Entilzah (Sorry, I always get the apostrophes in the wrong place, so I'm not even attempting it)

possible (well ok, major) spoilers

Zathras spoke of "The One" in terms of the "story" Sheridan learned at zhaha-dun that he was a nexus, move one way and the universe follows. Though they were all Ranger 1, thats a symptom, not a cause (IMHO). At some part of "the story" they were all the prime nexus, so to speak; Sinclair in the past, Delenn at that present time, and Sheridan soon thereafter. It just occured to me that an alernative explaination exists, it's the story of Human and Minbari merging into one people. Hmmm. :eek:

Minor clarifying spoilers for "In the Beginning" and "To Dream in the City of Sorrows:"

There's a difference between Ranger One (Anla'shok'na) and The One (Entil'zha). The elderly Minbari Ranger in "In the Beginning" is Ranger One, but not Entil'zha. Likewise Ivanova after Sheridan's passing. Only Valen/Sinclair, Delenn, and Sheridan are Entil'zha, The One, but there have been hundreds of Ranger Ones.

Marcus's calling Sinclair Ranger One sure does a whole lot to help make the two seem like they're synonymous. With The One holding the possition of Ranger One, it sure would have been nice if it was delt with with a wee bit more clairity in the show.

There is quite a bit of Minbairi culture that kinda feels blurred together and not really presented as quite as well as it could for better understanding. The difference/relationship between "Entil'Zha" and "Ensil'Zha" for example. I could sure use a cannonized Minbari cultural guide/language instruction book. :LOL:

Okay. Here goes:

isil'zha: the future. (Source: In the Beginning.)

Entil'zha: a title granted only to Valen in Minbari history, and subsequently to Sinclair (in ignorance of his future life), Delenn, and Sheridan. No others. The word itself is quite possibly a Vorlon word, and means something vaguely along the lines of "future-bringer." (Source: I believe JMS said something to this effect and it's posted somewhere on the Lurker's Guide.)

Z'ha'dum: the world where the future dies. Note the broken "zha" syllable. (Again, JMS's comments, read on the Lurker's Guide.)

Ranger One (Minbari: Anla'shok'na): head of the Rangers. All those named Entil'zha have simultaneously been head of the Rangers, but not all Ranger Ones have been Entil'zha -- only four (three) out of who knows how many hundreds. (Source: In the Beginning, To Dream In the City of Sorrows.)

That's as clear as I can make it.

Yes. Is it cause or effect? I think that the nexus theory explains and expands on (future) history. remember JMS has a timeline, though the future is in flux, the "past" is there in videotape :D

Marcus's calling Sinclair Ranger One sure does a whole lot to help make the two seem like they're synonymous. With The One holding the possition of Ranger One, it sure would have been nice if it was delt with with a wee bit more clairity in the show.

The thing is, I don't think that Sinclair, during the period that Marcus knew him on Minbar, would have ever been addressed as "Entil'Zha". At that point, noone knew the he would become (or "had been"? ;) ) Valen. He would always have been "just" Anlashok'Na.

Sinclair was the second Entil'Zha. Part of Delenn's mission was to watch and determine if Sinclair was suitable for both jobs.

I always just thought that "The One" referred to Ranger One. The other people that were Ranger One in the series didn't really get enough face time as Ranger One to see if anyone called them "The One" or not.

Well, the books -- especially "To Dream in the City of Sorrows," which I believe is the only one considered 100% canon of all the books -- made it pretty clear. The position of Ranger One and The One are seperate things.

It makes me wonder if Sheridan's journey is far from over. Was he the one who will be in regard to the shadow/vorlon war? or was that still Delenn? When he was taken beyond the rim, was there more for him to do? Will he come back someday? Either reincarnated into another being of another race or something else?

That kind of leads me to a question I've had for quite a while. Kosh often refered to Sheridan as Always having been here......and Sheridan remarked that the same was said of Kosh......and I am wondering if an elevated Sheridan could be come Vorlon, perhaps even a Vorlon known to go out of his way to look after Sheridan.........if Vorlons operate on a level outside time and space to some degree???

That kind of leads me to a question I've had for quite a while. Kosh often refered to Sheridan as Always having been here......and Sheridan remarked that the same was said of Kosh......and I am wondering if an elevated Sheridan could be come Vorlon, perhaps even a Vorlon known to go out of his way to look after Sheridan.........if Vorlons operate on a level outside time and space to some degree???

It would certainly explain Kosh appearing as Sheridan's dad. But, somehow, it doesn't feel quite right to me, too much time travel, and I believe time travel was a one shot deal for JMS in the B5 universe.

"the One" doesn't seem like an official title. It's a historical reference point for those who see the history of Minbari, humans, Vorlons and Shadows on a grand scale, like Draal, Zathras, Kosh, et al.

The only I'm not sure of exactly is who the Rangers live and die for after Sheridan. When Markas says "we live for the One" etc when defending Delenn against Neroon it makes a lot of sense because the Rangers' attachment to Delenn was based on the idea that she is fulfilling prophecy. Maybe that would be true when Sheridan is Ranger One as well. But I can't imagine them living and dying for Ivanova.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back