• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Let me end the silence...(some spoilers)

OK where do I start and what do I say? First of all let me say that I have not stayed away this past week because of any criticisms about me or the show. In fact I must say that I was expecting much worse and am pleasantly surprised by the reaction!
smile.gif
It's quite clear on this board and others that even among fans that were disappointed, most wish to see a series and would give it another chance - what more can you ask for.

In regard to the ratings, well this has been the source of my silence. I have trouble not speaking my mind and this often gets me into trouble. I am not at liberty to divulge everything that I know at this point and obviously I am not eager to anger anybody at the network or the studio. However, some of you have been doing some stellar snooping and are obviously getting a clearer picture of where we stand. I want to make it very clear here that I am not divulging anything that has not already been ascertained by others and posted here and elsewhere. I just feel that since you've already learned many things, as loyal fans and devotees you are entitled to a little confirmation of the facts.

Basically we got destroyed by the football game. I guess this shouldn't be too much of a shock considering many of you here stated you would watch the game over the movie if you had to choose, and if die-hard fans are saying that, how could we expect the 'regular' viewing public to do any differently. When the numbers are released I think you will find quite a difference between the East coast where the game was opposite us, and the West where the game was over by airtime. Indeed as one of you already posted, San Diego garnered a 3.2; this is no where near the national numbers. I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been discovered since it's been posted here that we didn't reach at the minimum a 2.6.

What can I say, I'm as disappointed as all of you. It seems that despite SCI FI's admiral publicity campaign, they simply picked the absolute worst night to air the movie. I think they would have had better luck throwing a dart at a calendar than picking the 19th. I don't know whether the network was aware of the game when it first decided on the 19th, but that game was the highest rated game in over FIVE years!

Now where do we go from here? I am not saying that all is lost by any means! The network is aware of all of this and if I know Doug Netter, he is pitching statistics right left and center in an attempt to make sure the network and studio see the clear picture here. When all the numbers are released I think there will be some good things in there along with the bad. There are many ways to break down Nielsen stats, and I'm sure that is what the network is doing right now.

I think Antony had a good idea in asking all of you to voice your support for a series at SCI FI's website. As I said in my last post, B5 for whatever reason has and may continue to be 'the little engine that could', that uphill struggle aint over, and anything you do to be heard as fans can't hurt.

If I could make a little request here, when speaking of this information, try not to make it sound like somehow I spilled the beans or that I'm the source of all these stats. I'm simply confirming what you already know and felt obliged to 'speak amongst friends' if you will. I just don't want it getting back to the network or the studio that I somehow sabatoged them. I know that maybe I'm sticking my neck out here a little, but I felt you guys were worth it, and well I am who I am.

Silence is not a death knell as some have surmised, some things just need to be worked out in due time. We all want Rangers to go, and I thank you again for all your support, even your criticisms. I've had a good chuckle over many of the posts, isn't controversy fun?!
laugh.gif

Heads up everyone, the battle's just begun.

Fondly, Dylan

------------------

I don't see the so-called "sabotage" element at all...

Cheers! -Warren-
laugh.gif

*Thanks for the information Dylan! I believe in the "Babylon 5:The Legend of the Rangers" 110%, and I am ready for whatever may come!

------------------

Dylan,

We really appreciate you sticking yourself out here with that confirmation. Reading the ratings thread has basically created one of those depressing feelings in the pit of my stomach.

I could drive a couple hours and sit outside Bonnie Hammer's place with a sign that said "Bring Back The Anla'Shok," if that would help...? Emm, maybe not.

*raises a toast to Doug Netter, our last, best hope (reference intended) for this series*

I suppose we have to remember that... it may be uphill, but it's not insurmountable. B5 had been brought back from the brink before.

Good luck to all of you involved with the series.

------------------
channe@cryoterrace | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

Thanks for the info Dylan.

We were all afraid of this, that the game might interfere with the ratings. What's worse is that it was a doozy of a game. My dad and mum watched it, and they don't even like any of the teams (They prefer the Steelers
laugh.gif
).

However, as you've said, it's not the end, even if the ratings didn't best Epoch's 2nd place. I have at least some confidence in SciFi's decision making, and that they might take into account the facts, and may weigh the places where the game had less interference greater (i.e., west coast). This is my guess for their silence; they have to take a closer look at the stats due to the unusual nature of the scenario.

I'm still hopeful.
laugh.gif
And, until I hear otherwise, will assume the series is a go, just for optimism's sake.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dylan Neal:
Heads up everyone, the battle's just begun.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Needless to say, that hundreds of thousands of fans all over the world are confident, Dylan.
Just knowing that there are somebody in the backstages fighting the main battle for the Rangers series, makes me fell a little more relieved. At least for now.

Almir

------------------

Thanks a lot for the update Dylan. I'm 110% behind you guys (and gals). Keep up the good work, and remember: Faith Manages

------------------
"We live for the one, we die for the one."

What Warren said.

In light of this, I'm letting 'em know ASAP.

No worries, Dylan. We've got your back.
wink.gif

------------------
"We are (not) all Kosh."

Thanks, Dylan.

And you're right - you're just pretty much confirming what has become increasingly clearer in the Ratings? thread.

I wish there was something more I could do, except post a wish for a series. I somehow don't think that SciFi would really appreciate snail-mail letters from Estonia.
frown.gif

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

Hmm. I've never done this for a television series before but...

*goes to write a letter*

One of the only things that could make me happier than a Rangers series is the announcement that I got that grant.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

[This message has been edited by channe (edited January 25, 2002).]

Hey everyone I am on the phone with Enid-Raye right now and she says, "Hi, and thank you so much for your continued support you guys are amazing." Well we will all keep our optimisim high and say thank you to Dylan for being so forthcoming and talking about a big topic very openly. Like he says it is now a time to let things be discused and also make our voices heard! Keep the energy positive and put it into action, get as many folks as possible to visit Scifi.com as post your support for a series!! Alright I must nap and rid myself of my cold! happy Robbie Burns Day!! Alex and Enid-Raye

------------------
Dulann

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Hmm. I've never done this for a television series before but...

*goes to write a letter*
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, I am trying to find the addresses but can't seem to find them now. Channe? JoeD? KoshN?

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dylan Neal:
Heads up everyone, the battle's just begun.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we all remember, the first serie was a *HELL* of a fight at each single moment. If it's what it take to create a serie that is superior than anything else, so be it ! Gimme my 2-handed sword, my blue painted warface, and I'll fight we you guys !

FFFRRRREEEEEDDOOOOOOMMMM !!!!!

BAAAAAAABYYYYLLLOOOOONNN !!!!!

(no, really. I'm not that a geek. but damn I love B5...)

------------------
---------------------------------
When I said my quarters were cold, I did not mean "Oh, I think it is a little chilly in here. Perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed." No! I said it was cold! As in, "Oh look - my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor!"
- Londo

Personally I don't think anything we do will get a series if there isn't really a market for the show I'm starting to think it may be s waste of time and effort.

------------------

Lyta -

The e-mail address is program@www.scifi.com - give me a few minutes to track down the snail mail.

Send both - although snail-mail is FAR more effective, I have a feeling that we're working against time. But maybe that's just me.

EDIT: spelling error

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

[This message has been edited by channe (edited January 25, 2002).]

one of the best things about b5 and it's off shoots is they way every body makes an effort to connect to the fans.

------------------
"You are child of the universe, no less than the tree and stars, you have a right to be here, and whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should." --Les Crane--

blush.gif
If this doesn't come to a series I think I'll start doing drugs..The pilot really kicked Rear I wouldn't be lying if I said it's the best pilot I've ever seen. I'd really hate not seing you guys and gals in action for a series..

....departs to scifi to beg them for a series

------------------
Been there, done that

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shaal Mayan:
Personally I don't think anything we do will get a series if there isn't really a market for the show I'm starting to think it may be s waste of time and effort.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If everybody had reacted like you 6 years ago, we never had the seasons 3, 4 and 5 of the original serie.

"Lets dedicate our new combat to all people who predict the death of B5LR. Faith Manage."

------------------
---------------------------------
When I said my quarters were cold, I did not mean "Oh, I think it is a little chilly in here. Perhaps I'll throw a blanket on the bed." No! I said it was cold! As in, "Oh look - my left arm has snapped off like an icicle and shattered on the floor!"
- Londo

First, many thanks to Dylan for his honnesty and being one of the greatest guy ever
wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shaal Mayan:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And as you start thinking that, they start winning
smile.gif

There *is* a market (basically, us), there *is* good things in all that (the west coast ratings), and there definitly *is* reasons to hope, reasons to fight.

As others said, Babylon 5 struggled for many years and yet survived. And all that JMS wanted to accomplish, he did.

Bad luck hitted us with Crusade.

But now we're talking LoTR, and we're starting fighting again and, well... we *will* win.
We have to
laugh.gif

Sullivan

------------------
We are One.

This is very depressing news.

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like football at all.

So to me this is very depressing.

Its so depressing that football, the most brainless of sports (sorry folks, my opinion) beat out such a wonderful, intelligent sci-fi movie like Legend of the Ranger.

Typical, but depressing.

*sigh*

I hope, I really, really, really, really hope that Sci-fi gives the show a chance.

*crosses fingers*

I hope Sci-Fi gives the show the go ahead and we get a series.

I really hope...

*sigh*

Man, this is depressing.

Sports win again. I hate that..

DF2506

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back