• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

the One thing that totally disgusted me...(spoilers)

I thought the virtual weapons pod was a good idea to an extent but firing the guns by kicking and punching was very corny. I do recall that the Whitestars use telepathic interfaces for their pilots...would it be such a stretch to have a VR weapons system in which the gunner sits in a chair and has information fed directly into her mind, allowing her to select targets and fire weapons mentally? In her perspective she could still be floating in space and see targets positioned around her so the visual FX could still be similar to what they were on the show.
If a telepathic interface sounds too exotic then they could have at least used a chair that can rotate 360 degrees along X and Y axes, with weapons controls built into the chair...like in the Last Starfighter. I guess the movie's creators should be given points for trying something different but it was nonetheless a mistake.

------------------
Spoo: it's what's for dinner.

Akai,

Well, that is very creative thinking on your part regarding using the chair...which was the original plan incorporated into the Gunnery Weapon Pod concept.

Once again, please read the inteview with director Mike Vejar over at www.scifi.com/b5rangers/ where he explains this original concept (The chair that drops into the virtual reality chamber)...and how the idea changed due to money and time contraints...

Of course JMS thought about every possible idea regarding the Weapon Pod sequence but had to IMPROVISE and modify his idea with what is seen in the telefilm...

I just read a message posting in response to a fans question regarding this topic over at JMS usernet...and he mentions that the weapon pod will be taken a step further in the possible series...

Unfortunately I don't have the exact address to that site!

Anyone here have JMS usernet site address to check out what he has to say! Alot of questions are answered there by the Great Maker himself!

Cheers! -Warren-
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------

Hey Natron!

Thanks for the address!

Many of the questions that has been asked here on these boards can be answered by JMS! And what better person to get an answer...he has them all...

Thanks again for your help Natron-san!

Domo arigato gozai masu!

Cheers! -Warren-
laugh.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitaro Sasaki:

Once again, please read the inteview with director Mike Vejar over at www.scifi.com/b5rangers/ where he explains this original concept (The chair that drops into the virtual reality chamber)...and how the idea changed due to money and time contraints...

Of course JMS thought about every possible idea regarding the Weapon Pod sequence but had to IMPROVISE and modify his idea with what is seen in the telefilm...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Warren, the problem is that in any form other than the command room on Minbari warcruisers seen in the series, the VR chamber would be a problem. Would it be better with a chair? Yes, definitely. The whole problems of the kicking and punching would be gone. But it would still be a relatively ineffective system because the Weapons Officer loses time getting into the VR chamber and has a limited field of vision, unless the chair somehow provides a display for what's going on behind her. But that would divide attention. It's nice eyecandy, but one way or the other, it's not very efficient. And inefficiency in combat more often than not translates into R.I.P.

Sorry if that sounds too much like bashing, it isn't meant to be. I wouldn't bother to bring this up if I didn't have any hope that someone thinks about it and maybe attributes some merit to it. Someone who matters, that is.

------------------
If I tell you my name is Lorien, what good is that?

(Whatever happened to Mr. Garibaldi?)

I still think that the problem could be solved with a device in the palm of her hand which she points in the general direction of the target and presses a button. It could even be addressed as something added now that the ship is being used in a more permanant fashion.

Of course if this is mentioned as an idea from the internet it won't be used.

Oh, and I'd like to mention that we all appreciate tremendously the actors taking time out to give their thoughts on the bboard.

------------------
"Crying isn't gonna get your dog back. Unless your tears smell like dog food. So you can sit here eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell like dog food or you can go out there and find your dog."-Homer in The Canine Mutiny

If that is the case...that the VR Weapon Chamber concept is not acceptable because it doesn't come across as logical or sensible or efficient...or whatever...realistic?

Then the same can be true for science fiction all together!

Nothing in science fiction really exists, especially when it comes to creating extra-terrestrial beings...aliens so to speak...

None of that is really, in my mind, realistic...because it is all based on someone's imagination of WHAT could be possible...what could be...possible, yet not proven...yet that is...he he he...

That is why it is called science fiction in the first place...

Science Fiction: A literary genre that makes imaginative use of scientific knowledge...

The purpose of science fiction is to dream of what could be...does it all have to be so-called believable...Does everything have to make sense...to seem like it really is functional...to seem like it has always been this way...

My experience with life so far is that nothing does make any sense...and by trying to make sense of life...can drive one to the brink of insanity!

Can't science fiction be stretched and bended to the imagination and be just accepted for what it is...and not be analyzed?

I don't even know if I am getting my thoughts down through text properly, but I am sure you know what I am talking about!

Science fiction is about imagination!

What about the "Light Sabre"...That is a bunch of crap...mind you, it is a really cool concept...and I love it...but really, when you think about it...this could never really exist...the way it is portrayed in Star Wars!

By the way...I am a huge Star Wars fan!

Cheers! -Warren-
laugh.gif

*I just realized that I got myself into one heck of a debate here! HELP!

------------------

Amen to that Warren!

Sci-fi is all about imagination, and that one of the things I like best about it.

I for one LOVED the weapons pod idea. I thought the concept was brilliant and was carried through flawlessly.

Kudos to JMS for the idea, the computer geeks (like myself) who make it so "realistic", and Myriam for making it look so good
wink.gif
!!!

It's kind of amazing at how we get ourselves worked up and into arguments about something that doesn't exist.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> My experience with life so far is that nothing does make any sense...and by trying to make sense of life...can drive one to the brink of insanity! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How true that is.

------------------
"We live for the one, we die for the one."

[This message has been edited by Natron (edited January 21, 2002).]

Gotta agree with Warren, very little is being put forth that is original in the TV science fiction genre. Which is a crime to humanity as far as I'm concerned! Science fiction gives people the ability to dream whatever they want to dream, yet no one dare step outside the set parameters. When they do, they're scoffed at, then suddenly realise it for what it is and end up loving it. Any of this reminding people of a certain show?
laugh.gif

And how long exactly does it take to jump down a hole? *cough*firemen*cough* Compare that for example to trek, who have console weaponary yet sit there all day jibbering on about peace and the prime directive while the enemy is kicking their butts. A weapon is what you make of it.

And if this doesn't work, I'm gonna give Warren a pike.
smile.gif

Just a note: I over-exaggerated situations to help get across the point, try not to take it at face-value.
wink.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that we have two threads going that are basically about the same subject and arguements?

Anyway, all of you who have issues with the gunnery pod should pop on over to the moderated newsgroup and read the article titled "Review of Liandra's Weapon System" by Charles J. Cohen. He gives an excellent, intelligent and well thought out evaluation of the concept. JMS himself has even replied to it and is going to try to incorporate some of those concepts and points if/when the series comes.

I am not going to re-post it here as it is entirely too long and possibly a copywright infringement. If you want, check back tomorrow after google indexes it and I will post a link to it.

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

as to innovation, i bow to those who write science fiction for a living. as to practicality, i bow to those who have the science and tactical knowledge of how such things would work. as a viewer, it made me laugh and cringe every time it was used. it just looked silly. especially the road-rage version.

------------------
"what is it, you moon-faced assassin of joy?!?!!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lyta:
Anyway, all of you who have issues with the gunnery pod should pop on over to the moderated newsgroup and read the article titled "Review of Liandra's Weapon System" by Charles J. Cohen. He gives an excellent, intelligent and well thought out evaluation of the concept. JMS himself has even replied to it and is going to try to incorporate some of those concepts and points if/when the series comes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

Latest posts

Members online

Back