• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Seatbelts

Something that has been troubling me for a while is why have seatbelts been eliminated from ships.

The last ships that I recall using them were the Hyperion class vessels. But they only used them because they lacked gravity.

Im just about tired of seeing everyone dying on the ships, except the important characters. If they wore seatbelts while they were in battle stations, they wouldnt be flung across the Whitestar/Enfali/Liandra bridge and would be able to react quicker.

------------------

Really? I thought they just liked to be safe.
The Rangers don't wear seatbelts for a very simple reason: it would ruin their image!

My ship has a seatbelt!!!....oh wait....

BTW, are there seatbelt laws on starships?

------------------
"We live for the one, we die for the one."

I'd like to think that space travel is pretty dangerous. 'Cause it is. Even in the twenty-third century.

------------------
channe@cryoterrace | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

Seatbelts are for losers.
laugh.gif

Heh, good question, why not ask why consoles and computers on the bridge tend to blow up/catch fire whenever they take a bad hit too...

In B5 colapsing roofs seem to be a major problem too...

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>The captain of Sheridans first ship was killed by one in "In the Begining" and that Minbari guy who wanted Delen to ally with the Drakh suffered the same fate when they first encountered the Drakh (the episode name escape me), and Ivoneva nearly joined them after a close encounter with a few "advanced" EA destroyers. Strangely none of the ships in question ever lost hull integrety (IIRC)</font></td></tr></table>

------------------

Seatbelts on Ranger ships would give them less chance to die for the One
wink.gif

------------------
If I tell you my name is Lorien, what good is that?

(Whatever happened to Mr. Garibaldi?)

When they showed Delenn in her Flyer she was wearing a seatbelt, and even little Minbari ships have artificial gravity in them.

------------------
A proud member of the Wind Swords.
"War is life and death is the only true peace."
war-demon@b5fan.b5lr.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Natron:
My ship has a seatbelt!!!....oh wait....

BTW, are there seatbelt laws on starships?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One would think so, wouldn't one, Natron.

Considering the stats on ACTUAL humans in actual accidents, I would think that all sci-fi shows would include seatbelts.

I guess there is something in the mindset of sci-fi writers/producers that just want to see people flung about.

Funny, but if these were car accidents, there would be a LOT more death and general damage.

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

I think the closest thing I've seen to a restraining device in science fiction was those things the Captain of the Excelsior used in Star Trek III.

------------------
"We live for the one, we die for the one."

Back