• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

anybody here actually liked the Valen??

raptorman

Just figured I would ask... Im kind of interested in its purpose and capabilities. When I first saw it my response was "What the F*CK is that piece of SH*T" but now that ive watched the movie a couple of times, Im starting to like the Valen. Anybody else got this feeling? Hell it resembles the Omega class destroyers sort of (Yes i know humans helped build it) Also could this be a prototype for the Victory class ships? The first test of combining human and Minbari tech? I for one would like a lot more information on the Valen and its history (however short it may be).

------------------

Well I am one that is a complete fanatic when it comes to starships design, so I love to see new designs. I liked the idea of the Valen being blocky, almost making fun of human design. It was obvious that it was combination Minbari/Human. All in all though, I do like it.

------------------
"We live for the one, we die for the one."

i liked the valen, but i dont think any one else liked it too much...

take the diplomats... they didn't give a $hit that the valen just blew up...

------------------
I have no one to envy...
I envy you having me to envy...

"love to stay, can't, have to go, kiss kiss, love love, bye" G'Kar

i liked the valen for the same reason why i *love* the omega... its so blunt and garish... raw power, functionality over form
smile.gif

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

Like it? No.

The front part looked like the front of an EA Omega, and the rear, side view, looked like the side of a Minbari headbone.

I also found the shape vaguely reminiscent of a *cough* Romulan Diederix (sp?) *cough*. The engines looked human-tech.

It's kind of a "Jaguar XJ-S" style of ship, pieces of lots of different things, unharmoniously slapped together.
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

It looked like some sort of mutant cross between a Romulan Warbird and an Earth Force Omega-class destroyer, with a bit of Borg tech thrown in. Yet both ships are substantially larger than the Valen...

It certainly didn't look like it was designed by the Minbari, which they tried to explain, but I don't buy it. Why build an ugly ship with cool toys when you can build a sleek, sexy ship with cool toys?

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

Egad... I really need to start reading these things... KoshN, I didn't even read your reply before slapping mine on there. We said basically the same thing, as far as the appearance goes!

And just FYI, the Romulan Warbird's class designation is "D'deridex."
smile.gif

Jolan tru!

------------------
-Londo's Hair
"Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LondosHair:
Egad... I really need to start reading these things... KoshN, I didn't even read your reply before slapping mine on there. We said basically the same thing, as far as the appearance goes!

And just FYI, the Romulan Warbird's class designation is "D'deridex."
smile.gif

Jolan tru!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you might have meant the one from TOS. I meant the one from TNG.
smile.gif

Thanks for the spelling correction. I always liked those warbirds, the TNG "D'deridex" ones.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).

What was the three pronged, brown (?) ship that got attacted in the trailer?

------------------
'I plan to live forever, or die trying' - Villa Blake's 7

They never said the Valen was the most powerful ship, just the fastest. It was meant not to be caught at all by an enemy, let alone fight one

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by orac:
What was the three pronged, brown (?) ship that got attacked in the trailer?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Enfali

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by raptorman:
Glad im not the only one who liked the Valen. Anybody got any pics to post?????

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i could make some screen caps tonight
smile.gif

------------------
### Hi, I'm a sig virus. Please add me to the end of your signature so I can take over the world.### - caught from Saps @ B5MG

I had the same "Romulan/Omega" reaction that many of you did. I don't love it, but I also don't hate it.

I also like to see as many different starship designs as possible.

It often takes hundreds of attempts before you find the classics, like the Millennium Falcon, the U.S.S. Excelsior, and the Planet Express Ship.

So far my favorite Babylon ships are still the Narn, particularly the flat heavy cruisers such as the G'Tok from "The Fall Of Night." I like the Centauri crescent-moon motif as well.

------------------
- Timo
"We cannot guarantee success. But we can deserve it." -- John Adams

I think it looked kinda boxy. And I loved how David Martel said it looked like a flying brick!
lol.gif

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

You know when I first watched the film I said what the h@%!& is that ? But you know after seeing the movie 3 times it kind of grew on me.

------------------

Thanks for the images, Arrghman. So now I know which one of the ships seen in the trailers was the Valen...

An interesting-looking ship, but certainly not pretty. And I would never have guessed it's a Minbari ship.
lol.gif

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

and we'll never get to see how she hand;les in battle
Am I the only one seeing windows on the front?? that yellow line on the front, to me they were windows... that would be a huge improvement leading to the huge windows of the Victory Class

------------------
We live for the one, we die for the one. and... I am the one.

Yeah, I agree that the Valen didn't look all that Minbari-like, but when you think about how the man Valen was always referred to as being "Minbari not born of Minbari" the design makes sense.

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back