B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old April 30th 08, 20:51   #1
vacantlook

Scriptbook #15 Discussion - SPOILER WARNING

So, the final of the Babylon 5 scriptbooks are being shipped. Some, like me, have received them, some continue to wait for delivery. The 15th volume was a bonus to those who bought all previous 14 volumes, and contained in it is an outline writeup of what would have happened in the show had Sinclair remained the main character. Here's a thread to discuss that outline (and any other part of the 15th scriptbook).

For anyone reading this who doesn't want to be spoiled, here is your warning. This thread will openly discuss the contents of the aforementioned outline. If you are awaiting your copy of volume 15 and don't want to be spoiled on its contents, as Kosh says in "Signs And Portents", "Go. Leave. Now." Otherwise, bring on the discussions!
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th 08, 21:49   #2
GaribaldisHair
First One

Re: Scriptbook #15 Discussion - SPOILER WARNING

Will do ... erm ... as soon as my book arrives.

Cake or death?
GaribaldisHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th 08, 22:09   #3
vacantlook

As I said, there'll be spoilers in this thread, so here's one from me.

The biggest surprise, to me, was that the original plan did NOT have Sinclair becoming Valen. I've more or less always assumed his becoming Valen was in the plan from the beginning, but this outline states otherwise.
Old April 30th 08, 22:21   #4
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
The biggest surprise, to me, was that the original plan did NOT have Sinclair becoming Valen. I've more or less always assumed his becoming Valen was in the plan from the beginning, but this outline states otherwise.
That's a big surprise indeed.Are there more of those?
Old April 30th 08, 22:53   #5
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_Seeker View Post
That's a big surprise indeed.Are there more of those?
The Vorlons and the Shadows were not forced out of the galaxy due to our heroes' understanding their conflict; in fact the Vorlons and Shadows didn't leave the galaxy at all by the end of Babylon 5. The description of the two seem like they weren't exactly two sides of a philosophical battle, ie order vs chaos. It seemed more like the Shadows, who in this outline sound like they're younger than the Vorlons, just don't like the Vorlons' having manipulated younger races to think they were beings of light, so the Shadows set about to bring the Vorlons down, and in the process set themselves up as rulers of the galaxy instead. jms makes the comment, in describing the Shadows, that it's like the old line of bewaring those that would save you from communism less they also save you from democracy at the same time.

The destruction of B5 at the end of the show wasn't a peaceful one like we got in the show as it stands, but instead was destroyed by the Minbari, now being ruled by the Warrior Caste, who were pissed off over Delenn having had a child with Sinclair, after they had forced the Grey Council into exile. Those who supported Delenn's move to have a child with Sinclair believed the child would prophetically bring about a rebirth of the Minbari species through combining the Minbari and Human species together. And the end of the show would have been Sinclair, Delenn, and their infant son fleeing B5 as the Minbari blew it up.

And then after Babylon 5, had the show been successful, there could be a spinoff called Babylon Prime that involved Sinclair and Delenn going back in time and pulling Babylon 4 forward in time, renaming it Babylon Prime, and using it to protect themselves against pretty much everyone in the galaxy that wanted to kill them for one reason or another.

There are other pieces that are different, but those are the ones that stand out the most to me.

Last edited by vacantlook; May 1st 08 at 01:45.
Old April 30th 08, 23:00   #6
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

I think that the actual story arc is much better than the original one.It's more complicated and we would not have Sheridan and the concept of the The One(Sinclair,Delenn and Sheridan).So it's better that JMS changed it.
Old April 30th 08, 23:07   #7
vacantlook

Another thing I like about the 15th volume is the "Joe Cuts" section, compiled by the very illustrious Jan Schroeder. As jms says in his introduction to the "Joe Cuts" section, "Jan Schroeder is insane." She went through every script in these scriptbooks along side the episode on the DVD as it stands, and drew up a HUGE chart detailing all the differences between the scripts and the episodes as broadcast.

One such difference that really intrigues me is one from "Severed Dreams" that Jan mentions in her introduction to her comprehensive list of differences. When Delenn shows up to fend off the Earthforce ships and protect B5, she lets B5 know that she's "invited some others", eventually revealed in a huge jumppoint opening and a Vorlon fleet coming out. I have the scriptbooks, but I haven't read all the scripts, so little differences like this I've missed. Having this big list drawn up is very intriguing, especially in revealing little things written but not included in episodes like this.
Old April 30th 08, 23:11   #8
vacantlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_Seeker View Post
I think that the actual story arc is much better than the original one....
I agree; after having read this, as intriguing as it was, I do like the story the show got more.
Old April 30th 08, 23:19   #9
Truth_Seeker
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post

When Delenn shows up to fend off the Earthforce ships and protect B5, she lets B5 know that she's "invited some others", eventually revealed in a huge jumppoint opening and a Vorlon fleet coming out.
This would be a great fun to watch but it also would make our fellows in B5 very powerful with such a protection and a part of the story's suspense would be lost this way.

Last edited by Truth_Seeker; April 30th 08 at 23:21.
Truth_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st 08, 00:31   #10
Jan
Psi Cop

Thanks, VL. I'm glad you like it. It was a lot of fun to do and a huge honor that they decided to include it in Volume 15.

Jan
'the insane'
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote